Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I've recently had an interest in "ethical white hat hacking" and discovered how easy it is for someone to steal your accounts by using "Man-in-the-middle attacks". Knowing this I've become very security conscious and since I'm going to uni in september(hopefully) I know I'll most likely be using the public wifi there. This being said, I was reading articles on how to prevent MITMs and people spoke of vpns and ssh. I have no idea which one is better or how to set them up (also if I can still play games online with no lag if I use them). Can someone please shed some light on this and on other ways on preventing things like this happening if there are any?

On a side note anyone recommend any cheap(preferbly free), secure and reliable anti-theft laptop software? I checked out prey project but I just get the feeling that it's not exactly safe...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you used the old ARP Spoofing method? If so then it is highly unlikely that this will work at a public wifi spot. Most places have already patched this but in the unlikely event they have not...

Setting up a VPN is pretty simple, you can either setup your own server and route all traffic through there or just buy from somewhere and fill in the details on your device.

In terms of SSH and VPN, you cannot really use the two together to create a "VPN". What you can do however is setup SSH to forward a specific port - this means you can easily setup a socks proxy by forwarding all traffic through the SSH session. This port can then be binded to a local port and you can then use that port to forward your traffic through. Once you have setup the SSH bind, you simply fill in the details in your web browser and hey presto, you are ready to go.

Please keep in mind that any form of VPN WILL slow down latency intensive applications such as online games. How much depends on the service you are using.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks for the help! Yeah I was talking about wireshark, yamas script and faceniff :')

So there's no point sorting all this out really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyh1994)
    Ah thanks for the help! Yeah I was talking about wireshark, yamas script and faceniff :')

So there's no point sorting all this out really?
    Well.. I would never advise against using a VPN on a public network. To put it another way, it's not something I worry about unless I know the place is dodgy. Never log into online banking etc on ANY public network.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help! Just all I will be using is public WiFi which makes it a bit difficult for using services such as PayPal :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyh1994)
    Thanks for the help! Just all I will be using is public WiFi which makes it a bit difficult for using services such as PayPal :/
    Even if you use a VPN you need to keep in mind that the provider MUST be trustworthy or the data can be read on the receiving side.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I knew about that bit. Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 24, 2013

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.