Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking into applying for Experimental Psychology at Oxford but am quite worried about how my academic record will count against me - is there anybody who could help me on this?

Throughout my Standard Grade and Intermediate 2 (Scottish equivalent of GSCEs) exams, and my first set of Highers (Scottish A Levels), I struggled with mental health issues which severely impacted my results despite A grade predictions. Long story short, I ended up with two Ds on my English and Modern Studies Highers.
    This year, I've sat my Psychology and Sociology Highers and am predicted to get A grades in both (I'm a lot more confident about these exams) and will be studying the HNC Social Science in September which is the equivalent of the first year of university, as well as Higher Maths.

Is it pointless to even consider applying with those previous grades, or would my more recent qualifications, reference, personal statement and TSA scores back up that I am now academically capable for the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quite pointless imo. Don't see why everyone wants to apply to oxbridge even if they have grades below the average applicant. If you don't meet the entry requirements then just dont apply.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick reply, nice for some realism! I will meet the entry requirements for 2014 (according to admissions), it's just the previous results that I was wondering whether they would count against me or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you've got extenuating circumstances then I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caityrob)
    I've been looking into applying for Experimental Psychology at Oxford but am quite worried about how my academic record will count against me - is there anybody who could help me on this?

Throughout my Standard Grade and Intermediate 2 (Scottish equivalent of GSCEs) exams, and my first set of Highers (Scottish A Levels), I struggled with mental health issues which severely impacted my results despite A grade predictions. Long story short, I ended up with two Ds on my English and Modern Studies Highers.
    This year, I've sat my Psychology and Sociology Highers and am predicted to get A grades in both (I'm a lot more confident about these exams) and will be studying the HNC Social Science in September which is the equivalent of the first year of university, as well as Higher Maths.

Is it pointless to even consider applying with those previous grades, or would my more recent qualifications, reference, personal statement and TSA scores back up that I am now academically capable for the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you should write in to the colleges/ psychology undergrad admissions and enquire whether they would consider you with your specific set of extenuating circumstances. Assuming you could get a doctor to certify your previous health conditions, that should help.

Also, Oxford states that Scottish applicants are expected to have AAAAB or AAAAA in Scottish Highers, supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers. I'm totally unfamiliar with the Scottish system, but unless those were Advanced Highers, wouldn't you need to take more subjects? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caityrob)
    I will meet the entry requirements for 2014 (according to admissions), it's just the previous results that I was wondering whether they would count against me or not.
    Oxford tutors want those who are going to thrive on their course - they're not going to ignore a better candidate just because of an issue that is clearly historical. If your application explains your past grades (this would normally be done through the UCAS 'reference' your school writes) and goes on to show you are going to meet the entry requirements and have a keen interest in Experimental Psychology, you have as much chance as if you'd not had the bad results.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.