The Student Room Group

Prediction Intervals and Standard Scores

Please could anyone help explaining prediction intervals and standard scores? I literally can't get my head around how the values on the Wikipedia page are obtained compared to normal standard scores.

If we look at the Wikipedia page (and many other sources), the z-scores are listed as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_interval

Prediction
interval
z
50%0.67
90%1.64
95%1.96
99%2.58

However, the calculation to obtain the Z score on the Wikipedia page seems to require knowledge of the value of the future observation (X).

Say for example, that I wished to obtain the z-score for a 25% prediction level. Please could someone walk me through it?
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!

Quick Reply

Latest