The Student Room Group

CV's and approaching job help needed!

hi there, i'm 16 and live in london :smile: like most of you my holidays started and i really want to get a saturday job and start earning something for myself. I want to ask for help mainly on what to put in a CV and how to lay it out because i honestly have no idea what so ever and any example ones that can be given would help a lot more than just a wordy description. Another thing is i dont know how to go and apply for a job in a store :/ i'm thinking of trying stores near me like CEX, game , pcworld, pets at home and stuff like that but i'd like to hear some detailed examples of how some of you went and applied for a job in store. Anything would be a great help, thanks ^_^
(edited 10 years ago)
CV:
White paper if printing
(even better if you buy a pack of 'laid paper' from WHSmith - it looks very good and will make you stand out.)
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/WHSmith-Premium-Laid-White-Paper-80-Sheets+Paper+33120966
Simple font: Courier/Verdana/Arial etc NOT swirly script or dull TimesNR.
Always in Word - if you have the latest version that defaults to .docx, save it as a .doc instead; saves opening issues at their end.

Contents of a CV
Name and ALL your contact details in an adress bock (not one long line)
(Address/phone/mobile/email) at the top (looks good in the centre)
(Get a sensible email with gmail if your current one is not - and check it daily!)

Education
School you go to then
List all your qualifications (if you are doing a lot, use a table in Word) - if you are awaiting results, put predicted grades if they are good.
If not just put 'results due Aug 2013
Don't confuse them with BTECs etc just put 'GCSE' and list them.

Work exp
Place you did it, and the job you did and the skills you acquired
If you have done ANY work before put it in -even a day with your uncle cleaning cars at his garage -anything!
If you volunteer for anything, add it here.

Interests
Tailor these to the job you are applying for. You should have several CV's with this last bit slightly different. If applying to GAme , then name your favourite games and the platform you play them on. If PC World, then mention the software you are comfortable using and any Hardware you understand. If Tesco, then be interested in food....
Sport - if you play competitively (ie in a team) mention it.
DONT lie - they will all interview you and ask abiout your interests.

Get two people to check for spelling, grammar and layout - A single spelling mistake and you will be out of the game.

Finding a part-time job.
Few jobs/lots of people.

Research is the key - know the companies you are applying to. Who are they, what do they sell.
Go into the shops and watch the sales people for 10 minutes. How do they dress? What do they sound like. How do they speak to customers?

1) Make a list of all the adults you know and who they work for. Would they be happy to recommend you? Prepare your CV and then email it to all your adult contacts (call them for email if you havn't got one), explaining you are looking for a job, and do they have any contacts that could help you. Most adulsts will know at least 10 people they could ask - so If you know 6 adults; that's 60 people that might help.

2) Check all the websites of the places you want to apply to. Sainsburys/Boots for example, do applications online.

3) If going into a shop, have a clean crisp copy of your CV, printed on good paper, in an A4 envelope.
Dress smartly - as close to the workers as you can. If going intop a restaurant; wear black trousers and a white shirt. You will look like a waiter and make it easier to decide to talk to you.
Go in at a quiet time - not Saturday afternoon - Ask for the MANAGER. ' I would really like to be part of your sales team, I think this is a great shop - please can I leave you my CV and contact you in a few days to see if we could discuss a prt-time job?' You must make them think you only want to work for THEM - not anywhere.

Follow this up 4 working days later - maybe by phone(if you can find a number) or go back in.

Interview
Smart dress - clean and tidy,clean shaved, no piercings, no trainers, no hats, switch phone OFF.
Practice these questions
'Why do you want to work here' ( I like the shop alot/ the staff are so good/great atmosphere/I am interested in what you sell)
'Why should we give you a job?( Hard working/get on with everyone/want to do the best for your customers/)

They must think you want to work there ONLY.

If you have done all this, they will think you are a keen worker - and that's what they want.

Treat it as a military campaign - write everything down - who you have asked, places you have dropped off CV and when you are going back. You won't get a job if you try one Tuesday morning and give up. KEEP GOING!

If nothing happens, consider volunteering for a week in a charity shop - then add that to your CV and try again.

I wish you luck.

DJ
Reply 2
Original post by DJ SHAKESPEARE
CV:
White paper if printing
(even better if you buy a pack of 'laid paper' from WHSmith - it looks very good and will make you stand out.)
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/WHSmith-Premium-Laid-White-Paper-80-Sheets+Paper+33120966
Simple font: Courier/Verdana/Arial etc NOT swirly script or dull TimesNR.
Always in Word - if you have the latest version that defaults to .docx, save it as a .doc instead; saves opening issues at their end.

Contents of a CV
Name and ALL your contact details in an adress bock (not one long line)
(Address/phone/mobile/email) at the top (looks good in the centre)
(Get a sensible email with gmail if your current one is not - and check it daily!)

Education
School you go to then
List all your qualifications (if you are doing a lot, use a table in Word) - if you are awaiting results, put predicted grades if they are good.
If not just put 'results due Aug 2013
Don't confuse them with BTECs etc just put 'GCSE' and list them.

Work exp
Place you did it, and the job you did and the skills you acquired
If you have done ANY work before put it in -even a day with your uncle cleaning cars at his garage -anything!
If you volunteer for anything, add it here.

Interests
Tailor these to the job you are applying for. You should have several CV's with this last bit slightly different. If applying to GAme , then name your favourite games and the platform you play them on. If PC World, then mention the software you are comfortable using and any Hardware you understand. If Tesco, then be interested in food....
Sport - if you play competitively (ie in a team) mention it.
DONT lie - they will all interview you and ask abiout your interests.

Get two people to check for spelling, grammar and layout - A single spelling mistake and you will be out of the game.

Finding a part-time job.
Few jobs/lots of people.

Research is the key - know the companies you are applying to. Who are they, what do they sell.
Go into the shops and watch the sales people for 10 minutes. How do they dress? What do they sound like. How do they speak to customers?

1) Make a list of all the adults you know and who they work for. Would they be happy to recommend you? Prepare your CV and then email it to all your adult contacts (call them for email if you havn't got one), explaining you are looking for a job, and do they have any contacts that could help you. Most adulsts will know at least 10 people they could ask - so If you know 6 adults; that's 60 people that might help.

2) Check all the websites of the places you want to apply to. Sainsburys/Boots for example, do applications online.

3) If going into a shop, have a clean crisp copy of your CV, printed on good paper, in an A4 envelope.
Dress smartly - as close to the workers as you can. If going intop a restaurant; wear black trousers and a white shirt. You will look like a waiter and make it easier to decide to talk to you.
Go in at a quiet time - not Saturday afternoon - Ask for the MANAGER. ' I would really like to be part of your sales team, I think this is a great shop - please can I leave you my CV and contact you in a few days to see if we could discuss a prt-time job?' You must make them think you only want to work for THEM - not anywhere.

Follow this up 4 working days later - maybe by phone(if you can find a number) or go back in.

Interview
Smart dress - clean and tidy,clean shaved, no piercings, no trainers, no hats, switch phone OFF.
Practice these questions
'Why do you want to work here' ( I like the shop alot/ the staff are so good/great atmosphere/I am interested in what you sell)
'Why should we give you a job?( Hard working/get on with everyone/want to do the best for your customers/)

They must think you want to work there ONLY.

If you have done all this, they will think you are a keen worker - and that's what they want.

Treat it as a military campaign - write everything down - who you have asked, places you have dropped off CV and when you are going back. You won't get a job if you try one Tuesday morning and give up. KEEP GOING!

If nothing happens, consider volunteering for a week in a charity shop - then add that to your CV and try again.

I wish you luck.

DJ

Wow thank you so much this is great :biggrin: also is it true that i should not only put down my work experience but also put down contact details of the head teacher of my year or school? i can not thank you enough!
Original post by mikeca
Wow thank you so much this is great :biggrin: also is it true that i should not only put down my work experience but also put down contact details of the head teacher of my year or school? i can not thank you enough!

There's also a CV Help forum on TSR :wink:
Put at the bottom
'References available'

That makes them ask you if they want to go further - then give them the name , address and email of your headteacher.

Go for it!
There's a lot of sites out there to give you tips. One good bet is CV-Library (http://www.cv-library.co.uk/link/gLuE). Just as a brief overview and introduction:

Things you should include: name, contact details (email and phone number are fine), a brief bio/introduction to who you are (100-200 words; talk about your professional and personal interests, aspirations, hobbies, goals), education history (only go as far back as secondary school - include school name, any subjects and qualifications), work experience (name of the company, timeframe while there, any roles, responsibilities and duties), mention that 'References are available upon request'. Make sure your CV is no longer than two A4 page, no shoter than one.

Keep the format clean, easy to read and follow.

There's no proven or gospel formula so don't get too stressed out. There are the generic types, which are simply structured with default black fonts, then there are others which are entirely creative. I actually found injecting a bit of colour and playing around with the layout helped mine grab the employers' attention ahead of others - simply because it stood out for looking a little different. Here's some inspiration for something a little more creative: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=creative+cvs&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49784469,d.d2k,pv.xjs.s.en_US.MpiVkF51mpA.O&biw=1920&bih=934&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=3NrwUYicFIak0QWPkoGwCw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending