The Student Room Group

UMS Points

Can someone tell me how exactly they do the points for languages (French/German is what I do..)
Is it true that (for example) if you get over 39/45 for French writing, they just give you full marks?.. does that therefore make the A* boundary 39/45... or is a low A* (82 points or something) something like 35...

anyone who can explain to me would be great :smile:
Reply 1
If you go on your exam board website, they should have a pdf file with the UMS conversion tables on it. Basically, it works like (say the paper was out of 50):

50 = 90 UMS points
49 = 90
48 = 90
47 = 90
46 = 90
45 = 88
44 = 88
43 = 85
42 = 84

etc etc. To get an A*, I think it is always 320/360 every year - but the rate at which you can get the points change every year (so if it was an easy paper, you may only be able to get 90 if you got 48/50 or above, for example).

Hope that's clear!
Hey, i don't really like german and its my worst subject.

i did foundation in reading, writing and speaking, then higher in listening

my teacher said its possible for me to get a B with that, how well will i have had to have done?
You need 240/360 usually for a B in all AQA languages.

Writing = max 59 UMS
Reading = max 59
Speaking = max 59
Listening = max 90
-------------------
Total Possible = 267

You can only afford to drop about 27 UMS, or about 6 on each paper. It's possible, but you'll have to do pretty good!!

Good luck, I hope you do get it!
Cheers

didnt realise i would have to do that well.I don't think i will manage to do it, but anything is possible :wink:
Reply 5
For the mock exams, my friend did foundation for all three, and then she had coursework. She got Cs in all the papers, and her coursework had been an A so she got a B overall. so it's not impossible.
Our school doesnt do CW in german though. i aint to bothered about it, hopefully it will b the only C i get. Cheers for the help

Latest