Primary Education interview help please! Watch

cookie99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,
I just received a letter today saying i have a interview on the 29th July for Primary teaching with QTS at Chester University. I am extremely nervous about this interview as it is the first and only one I have had due to applying through ucas extra. Please please, anyone who has been to chester or had the interview, please could you just give me some advice/pointers, I am really nervous!
glitterphobia
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,
First of all, congrats! I've had 4 primary ed interviews in the past and been successful every time, but because of certain things happening, I'm only starting in September. I bet you're nervous as I've seen your other posts too, and the hardest thing to imagine is to try to relax, but try to imagine the interview as not much of a big deal. Maybe it's easier said than done, but try to think that you're getting on the course. Think of all the experience you've had and how you're better than everyone else. This might sound really big headed and strange, but my old university lecturer who's had a lot of experience in teaching told me this tip and it's worked so well! Think of it that you're just visiting and going to interview them about the university. Another thing is to look smart but not uncomfortable, especially considering the weather! This site is great for preparing (some of them won't be relevant as they're more geared at PGCE students) http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/interviews/ivteaching.htm
The most important question to think about is: why do you want to become a teacher? the best thing to say is to say how much you enjoyed your school experience but how you realise that it's tough but worth it.
Some other common ones: 'why this university?'
'what current issues are interesting in education at the moment?'

universities vary a lot, but as it's a late interview i would imagine that it's not going to be as long winded as it could be and will more likely be a group interview. try to talk to others as they'll be nervous too and that way you'll bounce off each other more instead of certain people taking over. if you find you're being spoken over and have something to say, just politely say 'sorry, can i just say an idea?'

also, have you done your QTS tests? if not, try to fit them in before results day as if all else fails and you go through clearance, it will be a condition (along with your UCAS points) of you getting on the course. Make sure you don't rush into them and take the practice tests online. Any other questions, feel free to ask
RachelB11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I haven't been to Chester not do I know what they're looking for in particular but I can offer some general advice from other courses I've been interviewed for and yes I have got a place on a primary PGCE now.

Get up to date with current issues such as curriculum change, excessive h&s application restricting outdoor play, spag etc. TES and the guardian which you can view online are good.

Read a general book on teaching - especially re special needs. Show some understanding that there are bright kids out there when you talk to them but who can't do well with writing and reading, spatial awareness etc and who need work adapted.

Through that reading pick up the buzz words. Yes course providers pretend they're capable of judging you fairly but the reality is that there's far too little time. Then read these requirements and ensure that not only do you satisfy those but that you make sure your interviewers know you do within those few minutes they talk to you. Best of luck.

1. Presentation
• Clear communication skills
• Evidence of ability to evaluate effective teaching/learning strategies

2. Professional attributes
• Understanding of appropriate skills in classroom situation
• Enthusiastic about teaching

3. School observation
• Evidence of ability to observe teaching/classroom strategies
• Evidence of ability to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of such strategies
• Evidence of ability to articulate a thoughtful, informed response

4. Cross curriculum task
• Demonstrates creativity of ideas
• Has the ability to articulate a thoughtful, informed response

5. Equal opportunities
• Demonstrates awareness of possible range of needs within a class
• Evidence of ability to evaluate social, physical and pedagogical aspects of primary school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
izzie95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I sent my UCAS application in November and I still haven't had any response apart from the occasional newsletter feeds. They are considering my application but its taking aaaagggeess because all the others have responded. :confused: :confused: :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (83)
25.94%
No (237)
74.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise