Difficult to get jobs in the UK as Int. Student? Watch

kkohli17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there guys, bit of a dilemma,

I've heard that it's difficult to get a job in the UK if you're an international student. Is this true? I really want to study in the UK but not if it means I don't have a job after.

My degree of choice is Earth Science and I'm aiming for Imperial if that data is necessary.

Any of you have any experiences with this dilemma? or not?

Thank you.
oohlaalaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, if the likes of the Daily Mail are to be believed, you probably have more chance of securing work than a British born.
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
_I had trouble getting a job in London because they all wanted the nationality related to their business.- _so as the sarcastic post above me suggests,# you'll probably have an easy time of it.- _(sorry my keyboard is screwed.-_)
Rajvir
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well....i'm British born and i'm struggling to get jobs- generally it's not only international students but British students too. Jobs are just hard to get lately
Little Jules
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The job market is very competitive at the moment. For non-EU students, there's also the issue of needing to get a visa to work which can be tough. But it's not impossible, but worth doing your research.
kkohli17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ah okay, that helps. Thanks for the info!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sigma44
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kkohli17)
Hi there guys, bit of a dilemma,

I've heard that it's difficult to get a job in the UK if you're an international student. Is this true? I really want to study in the UK but not if it means I don't have a job after.

My degree of choice is Earth Science and I'm aiming for Imperial if that data is necessary.

Any of you have any experiences with this dilemma? or not?

Thank you.
Your international status would be an issue UNLESS you have superior academic and work experiences. If you don't think you can achieve that during your time in university, then coming to the UK might not be ideal in terms of getting a job.
Toprealman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT WASTE Your TIME!!!
Try other countries unless you are wired to study here in the UK.
DrugsnotLife
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Apparently not. Most of the positions in supermarkets and fast food joints in north Bristol are taken up by international students and have been for several years now.
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
OP, it's difficult generally for many in the UK to secure employment. I would say though its getting slightly better but still not that great!

I personally would wait or go elsewhere. Or if you desperately want to come to the UK by all means do but don't expect it to be plain sailing!

Good luck! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
ginger.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As others already mentioned, a to of students and graduates find it difficult to find a job.

I think you will probably manage to find a part-time job during your studies (retail or bar work or something) but it might be difficult after you've graduated. I think the main problem is that a company can only sponsor you if they can prove that you're more suitable for the job than the other candidates, which might be difficult if you're a graduate with little work experience in your field. It obviously depends on your experience though. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise