The Student Room Group

covering self harm scars

I'm going to a wedding and the dress I'm wearing is short sleeved but I have really large deep red scars and some smaller ones on my forearm, I have cover up make up but it only hides the redness so you can still see the scars and I really need a way of covering it. My mum seems a bit suspicious of me because its been hot and I was wearing a jacket. she asked me to take It off like she knows something. The last thing I need is her seeing them
Bracelets, lots of them. I've heard a makeup range called dermablend is good, tattoo concealer works well. I've found that people don't actually notice them as much as you do, so long and you don't draw attention to them and reduce the redness. I have lots of old ones which have gone very white, I notice them a lot, but others don't seem to...
Reply 2
Try exfoliating and moisturising your skin to prepare it, then when it's dry, cover the worst scars in concealer. Then add a layer of foundation and blend..that won't make them invisible, but it should make them much less noticeable.

Another option is fake tan, the spray on kind, it adds a layer of colour which softens them and some brands actually cover scars up.....although it depends on your skin type. You also need to be really careful and not use it on fresh cuts or scars..which it sounds like yours might be :/. Fake tan could be followed by if necessary a layer or two of concealer/foundation to blend better.

If you want to help healing and make the scars less permanent or less noticeable in the long term, try BioOil...it's really good and even Primark sell it now so it isn't that expensive anymore.

And...I know you probably don't want to hear this, but please don't hurt yourself...it may feel like it helps now..but in the long run it really doesn't. I know its hard to stop...but cutting..becomes addictive and the further down the line, the harder it will be.
This is kind of repeating what others have been saying, but use concealer and try a mousse foundation (like Dream Matte Mousse) which is a bit thicker and stays on longer than normal liquid foundation or powder.

I have faded scars on my arms (they're not white, but darker than the rest of my skin) and I find that people rarely notice them, although there aren't very many. I definitely notice them more than other people. Once you've got rid of the redness, people are unlikely to notice, particularly at a wedding where people are unlikely to be very close to you, and where the focus is not on you. If you act suspiciously and like you're trying to hide something then people will notice more.
Reply 4
I've covered the redness, there just so big and stick up on my arm, maybe it's just more noticable to me because I know its there, I've used ccamouflage make up so I hope no ones noticed
Reply 5
in the long term (over a few weeks or so?) bio oil has really helped mine fade in time for summer so try some of that as well :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Shaliina
I've covered the redness, there just so big and stick up on my arm, maybe it's just more noticable to me because I know its there, I've used ccamouflage make up so I hope no ones noticed

I saw a post somewhere that said the following (assuming you're Caucasian:

Use white eye shadow generously, followed by concealer and/or foundation.
Repeat layers as necessary.
Hope this works!
Try cover up makeup/camouflage makeup followed by fake tan?
Also a real tan tends to make scars less visible so maybe try and sunbathe a bit beforehand?

I'm guessing they are on your forearm and not your upper arm? If they are higher up you might be able to cover them with a pashmina or a shrug type thing.
I'm going to a wedding and the dress I'm wearing is short sleeved but I have really large deep red scars and some smaller ones on my forearm, I have cover up make up but it only hides the redness so you can still see the scars and I really need a way of covering it. My mum seems a bit suspicious of me because its been hot and I was wearing a jacket. she asked me to take It off like she knows something. The last thing I need is her seeing them

Trust me when I say talking to someone helps. My friend did this, spoke and it became better in the long run. Hard to do it, but true.
Reply 9
Original post by Ashahedow
I saw a post somewhere that said the following (assuming you're Caucasian:

Use white eye shadow generously, followed by concealer and/or foundation.
Repeat layers as necessary.
Hope this works!

I'm not full white, but that might still work for me, it's worth a shot though
Reply 10
Pretend u got scratched by a tree plant Nd maybe wear make up to cover it
Reply 11
Bangles? I guess make up is your best bet. I hope you're ok now, message me if you need someone to talk to, sometimes strangers are best to release some strain. x
Reply 12
I'm not full white, but that might still work for me, it's worth a shot though

I think it still would. The white eyeshadow would blot out the pigment, creating a 'clean' base. Your foundation and concealer would cover and blend into your original skintone.
Reply 13
I managed to cover it, I used make up and had a scarf over my shoulder and arm. But thank you to everyone for your help
Reply 14
try moisturiser on first then a thicker mousse foundation over the top, because the foundation lightens up with the moisturiser try either a darker foundation or putting a powder over the top.
to help them fade permanently I'd suggest bio oil or e45 cream everyday for a few weeks and they should clear up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest