Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    LOL I have to laugh writing this even though its not funny... 5 years ago when I was 13, dumb, and stupid I was encouraged to steal a mascara from boots alongside my friends, by the title of this thread you can tell I got caught and was then taken into a room where the security guy took my name / address etc.. 5 years on I now want to apply for a job there but its not in the same town as the one I stole from. Just wondering if this may come up to haunt me as I do not want to face the embarrassment of being questioned as to why they have my details on their system for previously stealing, do you think it is possible this could happen? Or would they have got rid of my details by now? Bearing in mind he only wrote them down on some paper, just an awkward situation which I would rather not have to go into during an interview!!

Oh and believe me I learnt my lesson lol !!

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a weird situation to be in but there is no harm in applying. If they say no, they say no.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't imagine they have the time/money to record everybody they catch shoplifting, let alone maintain this mega-database over such a period as 5 years. Plus I would assume that for data protection reasons, they would have had to tell you at the time that they would be subsequently storing your information over a long period.

Just don't answer the typical, 'Tell me a time when you failed' interview question with, 'Well it's funny you ask. When I was 13.....'

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your replies! and haha the last comment made me laugh! im not sure they would be too happy!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bethany-emma)
    LOL I have to laugh writing this even though its not funny... 5 years ago when I was 13, dumb, and stupid I was encouraged to steal a mascara from boots alongside my friends, by the title of this thread you can tell I got caught and was then taken into a room where the security guy took my name / address etc.. 5 years on I now want to apply for a job there but its not in the same town as the one I stole from. Just wondering if this may come up to haunt me as I do not want to face the embarrassment of being questioned as to why they have my details on their system for previously stealing, do you think it is possible this could happen? Or would they have got rid of my details by now? Bearing in mind he only wrote them down on some paper, just an awkward situation which I would rather not have to go into during an interview!!

Oh and believe me I learnt my lesson lol !!
    I doubt they would still have your details now, and even if they did, you arent applying to the store you stole from, so you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Only one way to find out. Apply and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Can't see it being likely but you never know..

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.