Getting fit Watch

gloriamundi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi 23 year old male 6ft 170lbs always last in PE at school. I will see if I can do something about that.

Today:

6 mile bike ride

7x8 press ups

30 second plank
gloriamundi
Rep:
?
6 mile bike ride

7x8 press ups

35 second plank
myfriendSQRT(-1)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good luck with it all! Are you following any sort of training plan at all?
WarrenBuffett
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You haven't got much of a chance in getting fit! but good luck with your endeavors!
Caits7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's great, consider doing a bit more cardio though. Cycling is good, maybe do some swimming too?
kai68
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I suggest you the following to become healthy and fit :-
1) Start a morning workout- will boost your metabolic rate and diminish torpor.
2) Cut out on oily foods and processed- main reasons for acne and also tummy fat.
3) Aim on loosing weight first- if by any chance you feel or look overweight, it is futile to do planks or muscle building exercises because your body will not be able to accept the new muscle with so much fat content.
4) Commitment- Make exercise a part of your soul and enjoy it with optimism and remember to keep patience, results will come gradually and not overnight. Good luck :goodluck:
Arturo Bandini
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Caits7)
That's great, consider doing a bit more cardio though. Cycling is good, maybe do some swimming too?
He's just started - after confessing to being seriously out of shape - with two 6 mile rides in two days, and you're telling him to do MORE cardio?
Caits7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
He's just started - after confessing to being seriously out of shape - with two 6 mile rides in two days, and you're telling him to do MORE cardio?
Yeah, but swimming, unlike cycling long distances, is slightly better for easing into cardio, you can swim as little/great distance as you like and take breaks in between, also it doesn't tire out your muscles as much as cycling does.
kai68
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WarrenBuffett)
You haven't got much of a chance in getting fit! but good luck with your endeavors!
Dude I don't think such censure is appropriate for someone who is willing to make a try, he deserves encouragement
gloriamundi
Rep:
?
(Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1))
Good luck with it all! Are you following any sort of training plan at all?
Thanks. My rough plan is three-pronged:

1. Try to increase upper body and arm strength by doing as many push ups as possible every other day.

2. Try to increase core strength by planking every other day.

3. Try to increase cardio fitness by cycling every day. I might start running at some point too.

(Original post by WarrenBuffett)
Thanks!

(Original post by Caits7)
Thanks. Getting to a pool is a bit awkward where I'm living, so I think if I need more cardio I will just cycle further.

(Original post by kai68)
I suggest you the following to become healthy and fit :-
1) Start a morning workout- will boost your metabolic rate and diminish torpor.
2) Cut out on oily foods and processed- main reasons for acne and also tummy fat.
3) Aim on loosing weight first- if by any chance you feel or look overweight, it is futile to do planks or muscle building exercises because your body will not be able to accept the new muscle with so much fat content.
4) Commitment- Make exercise a part of your soul and enjoy it with optimism and remember to keep patience, results will come gradually and not overnight. Good luck
I have a BMI of like 23, so I don't think I am fat. I just need to improve my fitness. I'd most of all like to be able to do some adventure sports, or a physically demanding job, rather than just look better. Those are things I never thought of myself as being able to do. Obviously I'd love to look better too!

Thank you for your words of encouragement!

edit:

I should admit, I started cycling a few weeks ago to work. It made my legs quite sore at first, but now it is OK. I agree I don't need more cardio for now though.
myfriendSQRT(-1)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gloriamundi)

1. Try to increase upper body and arm strength by doing as many push ups as possible every other day.

3. Try to increase cardio fitness by cycling every day. I might start running at some point too.

Thank you for your words of encouragement!
Mix up your cardio a bit. Play football, go running, squash/tennis, that sort of thing. Push-ups are good, but think about buying a chin-up bar. That's going to work a lot more muscles in your upper body than push-ups alone. You can get one that just goes over the door for like a tenner and use it for chip ups and pull ups. There are also a lot more effective core exercises you can do in addition to the plank. There are plenty of good articles (and some bad ones) on the internet about increasing your strength without lifting weights.
nopenopenope
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

OP can you get access to a gym? This is good to start with I guess but you'll hit a limit fast, and what about your lower body?

Mix up your cardio a bit. Play football, go running, squash/tennis, that sort of thing.
Why should he mix it up, what's the point? He'll get the same end result either way, so why make it harder?
myfriendSQRT(-1)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nopenopenope)
Why should he mix it up, what's the point? He'll get the same end result either way, so why make it harder?
Well, if you have a bit of variety it can prevent you getting bored and giving up especially as a beginner. Different types of exercises like running, swimming, and cycling work your body in different ways so you strengthen your body in a different way with each one. Also, there are different types of cardio with different results. Football can be a great interval workout, you could do a fartlek running session or a low intensity swimming session. All which have different benefits.
Arturo Bandini
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP can you get access to a gym? This is good to start with I guess but you'll hit a limit fast, and what about your lower body?

Exactly. OP, mix it up your cardio if it's gonna help you achieve your goals (ie. maybe you'll get bored of cycling) but if not, there's no NEED.

If you're interested in actually gaining strength or size then you'll need to join a gym but if it's just fitness you're after, then regular cardio along with groundwork such as pushups/planks/burpees/etc will be fine.
gloriamundi
Rep:
?
Mix up your cardio a bit. Play football, go running, squash/tennis, that sort of thing. Push-ups are good, but think about buying a chin-up bar. That's going to work a lot more muscles in your upper body than push-ups alone. You can get one that just goes over the door for like a tenner and use it for chip ups and pull ups. There are also a lot more effective core exercises you can do in addition to the plank. There are plenty of good articles (and some bad ones) on the internet about increasing your strength without lifting weights.
I will look in to that but I don't think I will be able to do pull-ups. I want to start running in the next month or two.

What is a more effective core exercise than the plank in your opinion? I do not really like sit-ups and crunches so I would rather do planks if I can.

I'm not sure I want to go to a gym really. My town has two: one full of exercise bikes (I would rather bike on the road) and one scary-looking gym full of bouncers where I don't think I'd fit in well.

For lower body, I think the cycling is doing a good job for now.

If you're interested in actually gaining strength or size then you'll need to join a gym but if it's just fitness you're after, then regular cardio along with groundwork such as pushups/planks/burpees/etc will be fine.
I'm interested in both I suppose, but mostly I'd like to be able to pass the army fitness test:

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20153.aspx

Not because I want to join the army but just to know I could do something like that if I wanted. Practically speaking, I would like to take up mountaineering at some point and I know I need a much better all-around fitness for that.
myfriendSQRT(-1)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I will look in to that but I don't think I will be able to do pull-ups. I want to start running in the next month or two.

What is a more effective core exercise than the plank in your opinion? I do not really like sit-ups and crunches so I would rather do planks if I can.
If you're into your planks, there are multiple variations (side plank, one leg one arm) which you can try. Swimming is super good for core strength too. Again I'd recommend getting a pull-up bar and try some hanging leg raises. I'm a big fan of those. Don't worry pull ups are a difficult exercise, but start assisted and go from there!
gloriamundi
Rep:
?
7.5 mile bike ride

7x8 press ups

35 second plank

---

I got a pull-up bar from Argos at the weekend and did a set of 10 assisted chin-ups (standing on a chair, trying to put as little weight on it as possible, but I guess a fair amount of assistance was used). It has made my arms and shoulders quite sore so I will ease into that over the next week.
gloriamundi
Rep:
?
8 mile bike ride

7x8 press ups

1x8 "assisted" chin-ups

40 second plank
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.79%
No (499)
72.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise