Turn on thread page Beta

DFW Infinite Jest watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I just finished reading DFW's notorious doorstopper Infinite Jest and am in the midst of re-reading it. Anyone else finished it?

Spoiler alert!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Pretty sure I know all the stuff about the Wraith being JOI and him creating the Entertainment (+ DMZ?) to try and draw Hal out and stop him being an empty husk. Also that the copies of the Entertainment were sent out to all the people Avril ****ed while she was still married to Himself.

Also that someone had taken the entertainment and also the anti-entertainment by the time Hal and Don tried to dig it up (which John Wayne in tow? Who presumably was an agent for the DuPlessis, but ended up getting killed for being a double agent when he helped Don and Hal dig up Himself's head) someone had already taken the tape. Of all the people, maybe it's Orin? Since he was being tortured by AFR but somehow he was still alive and still a punter by the year of Glad, so maybe he just gave them the tape, and the reason Year of Glad was the last subsidized year was because of the anti-O.N.A.N. groups had used the entertainment for their terroristic purposes and Gentle had been overthrown. Who knows; thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I could type a reply about how much I loved this book, but why would I bother when I could be re-reading Infinite Jest instead of wasting time on here?

Brilliant book by a tragic mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a third of the way through it. I've got his book "Brief interviews with Hideous Men" which is brilliant. It'l take me a long time to finish Infinite Jest, but I've heard a lot of great things about it.

ReputationRep:
    Angury I'll be honest; it's the kind of book that requires a re-read, so you've got a long way to go, but it's definitely worth it. I've not read any of his other stuff... yet.​ Good to know that there are some others out there, I've only ever met one dude that's read it IRL and he was a philosophy student from the states I met at a conference.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.