Turn on thread page Beta

£400 to spend on a phone watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've got £400 to spend on a phone, what should I get? (please give reasons)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you end up choosing an iPhone then all I can say is - A fool and their money are soon parted

Other than that you will have to pin down your specific needs.
    Work oriented? Blackberry Q10
    Socially oriented? Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4
    Perhaps the HTC ONE X or ONE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jokosor)
    If you end up choosing an iPhone then all I can say is - A fool and their money are soon parted

Socially oriented? Blackberry Galaxy S3/4
    I've got a Blackberry Q10 as I can't stand touchscreen qwerty keyboards. I love it, use it mainly typing stuff up, email, twitter and facebook. I'd recommend them to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a £200 Sony Ericsson and save the other half for something less temporary.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a normal phone and put the rest of the money towards something worthwhile.

ReputationRep:

Socially oriented? Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4
    Perhaps the HTC ONE X or ONE
    Both tbh, but mainly socially orientated. I'll be going to uni next year if that helps. And so why wouldn't you recommend an Iphone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)
    I've got a Blackberry Q10 as I can't stand touchscreen qwerty keyboards. I love it, use it mainly typing stuff up, email, twitter and facebook. I'd recommend them to anyone.
    Indeed, I have the 9900 but I am looking to upgrade to the Q10. Like you I can't stand touchscreen qwerty keyboards and since I have to send loads of emails plus type up stuff on the go, buying a Blackberry was the best choice I could make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plainview)
    Buy a £200 Sony Ericsson and save the other half for something less temporary.

I've been using a £10 phone for the last 2 years, don't really like idea of buying a mid-range one cause it seems kind of like spending a lot of money but not getting something good that will last. Do you think there's a big difference between mid-range smart phones and top of the range ones?

ReputationRep:
    iPhones are amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, I have the 9900 but I am looking to upgrade to the Q10. Like you I can't stand touchscreen qwerty keyboards and since I have to send loads of emails plus type up stuff on the go, buying a Blackberry was the best choice I could make.
    q10 seems to be coming in at about £500, is there anywhere you can get it cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    I commute to Uni and found being able to type up notes from books while on the move/bits of essays made my life so much easier. I can whack up at least 1000 words an hour in notes etc, fantastic pieces of kit really.

I don't understand why Blackberry's are a dying breed, I can't fault physical qwerty keyboards and Blackberry's look like a professional phone.. Its just a shame everyone prefers actual touchscreen phones. This Q10, which I've had 10 days, makes my old Blackberry Torch look like pre-historic technology and I loved my Torch, keeping it as a back-up phone anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bencant)
    I've been using a £10 phone for the last 2 years, don't really like idea of buying a mid-range one cause it seems kind of like spending a lot of money but not getting something good that will last. Do you think there's a big difference between mid-range smart phones and top of the range ones?
    Probably. I've got an android SE Xperia Ray that was about 200 quid; I've had it for two years and not had many problems with it. The difference between that and a Galaxy S4 or something is big in phone-terms, but in real life-terms it's nothing, and you could spend 200 much more wisely in my opinion. Unless you're the sort of person who get's super jealous of other people's gadgets, in which case get an expensive Android one. I can recommend SE at any rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Buy a normal phone and put the rest of the money towards something worthwhile.
    This.

It should last.... o.O

ReputationRep:
    And so why wouldn't you recommend an Iphone?
    The iPhone is probably the worst smart phone at the moment in terms of specifications. However, I have an iPhone 3GS and I like it very much. It's very old now though, so I wanted to upgrade recently, but the iPhone 5 isn't very good. I bought an Xperia Z, by Sony. However, I didn't like the operating system (Android), and I prefer the iPhones iOS by quite some distance. I also felt that these new phones (HTC1, Xperia Z, Samsung Galaxy) don't feel like phones; they're absolutely massive. The iPhone is still what I'd consider phone size.

Just my 2 cents on my thought process for my new phone. If you're not already "stuck" on an operating system, then you'll have more options. Most of the phones I've mentioned here are between £450-500 though.

ReputationRep:
    Both tbh, but mainly socially orientated. I'll be going to uni next year if that helps. And so why wouldn't you recommend an Iphone?
    iPhone 5 is quite overpriced and it is surpassed by both Samsung and HTC in several if not most categories. Given the amount you plan to spend, you probably wouldn't get their most updated handset unlike with Samsung and HTC. If you plan to import them through eBay then be careful, especially because you might incur into import tax, which is 20% of what you spend.

ReputationRep:
    I abuse electronics, I mean seriously. I'm clumsy, always have my phone out my pocket, constantly tweeting, browsing, music on and managed to make 2 Blackberry Torch's last a year apiece, one got lost and the other still works which is back-up to my new phone.

Phones are like all electronics, they'll last as long as they are fashionable/up to date. Once you've had a phone a year/18 months, its old technology unfortunately. I wouldn't buy a phone to last, I'd buy it to suit what your after, either browsing/social/music/apps/camera. My Dad has an Sony Experia with a 12 megapixel camera, he's happy with that, that suits him. I like my Blackberry as its an all-rounder.

ReputationRep:
    For everyone saying they don't like touchscreen keyboards, you need to try out Swype

ReputationRep:
    q10 seems to be coming in at about £500, is there anywhere you can get it cheaper?
    Oh yes sorry about that, forgot that the Q10 was released very recently. Getting the 9900 could be a viable option but to be honest the phone has its limits so I wouldn't advise you to buy it, especially because it isn't that powerful when dealing with social media.

Anyway since the phone won't be work oriented, I'd recommend any of the smartphones I listed or some of the latest ones from Sony like someone above mentioned. They can come in quite cheaply, I think the Xperia Z is below £350.

ReputationRep:
    I love my iPhone 4.

Don't bother splashing out on the 5, you'll get a good deal on an iphone 4 or 4s just now. I previously had an HTC and it was fine, but the iphone is just so much more user friendly. Get one with decent storage and you'll be able to keep plenty music on it and the useful/fun apps.

I'm not majorly into technology and I'm not glued to my phone so you might be after something bit more high spec but it's a good size, you can bargain a decent deal and it's got decent longevity. My two year contract is almost up and I'm considering just keeping the same phone instead of going for something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)
    I commute to Uni and found being able to type up notes from books while on the move/bits of essays made my life so much easier. I can whack up at least 1000 words an hour in notes etc, fantastic pieces of kit really.

I don't understand why Blackberry's are a dying breed, I can't fault physical qwerty keyboards and Blackberry's look like a professional phone.. Its just a shame everyone prefers actual touchscreen phones. This Q10, which I've had 10 days, makes my old Blackberry Torch look like pre-historic technology and I loved my Torch, keeping it as a back-up phone anyway.
    Can you use the kind of apps you'd get on an iphone or whatever on your blackberry? Whatsapp, snapchat, the most popular games etc?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.