English Language
Chemistry
Biology
Physics (Already finished)
Electronics
Spanish (Already finished)
History
Religious studies

I'm currently just entering year 11, should I drop History for I.t as a GCSE as I want to become a engineer, and I also feel I.T will help me get there more with getting an apprenticeship etc.

But my only problem is that by dropping History for I.T affect, it may affect my English Baccalaureate and how would that affect my university chances?
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DreamToBeTheBest)
Options I currently take for GCSE:
Maths
English Literature
English Language
Chemistry
Biology
Physics (Already finished)
Electronics
Spanish (Already finished)
History
Religious studies

I'm currently just entering year 11, should I drop History for I.t as a GCSE as I want to become a engineer, and I also feel I.T will help me get there more with getting an apprenticeship etc.

But my only problem is that by dropping History for I.T affect, it may affect my English Baccalaureate and how would that affect my university chances?
To be honest, I don't think subject choice is massively important at GCSE. I'd go for which one you enjoy the most and which one you will potentially do better in. My choices were completely unrelated to what I want to do
Dominic101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not having English baccalaureate wont hurt you in the slightest when apply to uni
wrexhamfc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Let's not beat about the bush here. You learn nothing in GCSE ICT.
theterminator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I.T. is a waste. Do computing instead.
liannexx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think History is better, as IT is thought to be a soft subject and I think your Alevels would affect apprenticeship options more than your GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
c_k62
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The EBacc was only a proposal and never carrie through, so isn't a qualification and you don't need to worry. :-)
In my opinion id stick with history, it gives you more valuable skills and really does look better than IT. Anyway, dropping it will make all your history work so far worthless, and leave you a year behind in IT! And your GCSE subjects won't affect your future career anyway, so no need to worry :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (49)
44.95%
Pro-humanity (60)
55.05%