How to get bigger biceps for a skinny guy? Watch

Nickw73
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, basically the reason for me wanting to build my biceps a little is because I'm getting a sleeve in November (Tattooist is fully booked up until then!) And My arms aren't exactly the biggest. So I decided in the 4 months I have I'd build them up a bit for more room to tattoo!

I thought the best way to do this was through dumbbells? I should probably point out I work from like 10 - 6 monday to friday and won't have time for gym (or enough commitment for that).

So I thought dumbbells would be best, I mean they're relatively easy to put away, and I can do it in the comfort of my room.

So can anyone suggest a weight to start at and perhaps a routine?

Thanks!
save
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Super sets are the way forward But I wouldn't advise soley training your bi's, atleast do some triceps too to balance it out.

Preacher / Peak curls
Zottman / Hammer curls

Followed by some negative curls of your choosing. Eg Conc curls.

You can google all these if you don't know how to do them, but they're all doable with dumbbells.

Switch it up from session to session. Leave a couple days rest in between training. Eat a high protein (and carb) diet and you will see results

EDIT: With regards to weight, it'll take you time to learn what weight is perfect for you, then from here you can continually add weight to further gain muscle.

8-12 reps range is perfect for muscle building. Lower if you want to focus on strength, higher if you're more looking to cut up.

What I mean by 8-12; Add some weight on to your dumbbells, start doing Preacher curls for example, get to the 9th rep and that physically not be able to do another single rep. This is the perfect weight for you. If you CAN do another rep, but you choose not too. Then you need to add more weight and TRY harder

Good luck dude !
Nickw73
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
Super sets are the way forward But I wouldn't advise soley training your bi's, atleast do some triceps too to balance it out.

Preacher / Peak curls
Zottman / Hammer curls

Followed by some negative curls of your choosing. Eg Conc curls.

You can google all these if you don't know how to do them, but they're all doable with dumbbells.

Switch it up from session to session. Leave a couple days rest in between training. Eat a high protein (and carb) diet and you will see results

EDIT: With regards to weight, it'll take you time to learn what weight is perfect for you, then from here you can continually add weight to further gain muscle.

8-12 reps range is perfect for muscle building. Lower if you want to focus on strength, higher if you're more looking to cut up.

What I mean by 8-12; Add some weight on to your dumbbells, start doing Preacher curls for example, get to the 9th rep and that physically not be able to do another single rep. This is the perfect weight for you. If you CAN do another rep, but you choose not too. Then you need to add more weight and TRY harder

Good luck dude !
Thanks a lot man!
Manchester United
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nickw73)
Thanks a lot man!
To get bigger arms, don't just train the biceps. You must pay (more) attention to the triceps and the brachialis.

Think about it, your arms are more often straight than bent. Your biceps only truly show when you contract the muscle (which is when the arms are bent). However, your triceps will show when your arm is straight. Thus, to get bigger arms (more space for the tattoo) you must work on the triceps and the brachialis.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see that the post above mentioned triceps too.

By the way, you may find this page helpful;

http://www.maximuscle.com/training/bigarms
lilzoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Whilst agreeing with the comments made above, the truth is, unless you start to eat more and fill your diet with more carbohydrate and protein rich food, your arms will not get bigger, but may simply get more toned at best.
nopenopenope
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
List of exercises: http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ArmWt.html#anchor122387.
Please don't just work on your arms though, use those 4 months properly.
EonBlueApocalypse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lilzoldier)
Whilst agreeing with the comments made above, the truth is, unless you start to eat more and fill your diet with more carbohydrate and protein rich food, your arms will not get bigger, but may simply get more toned at best.
This is very true, but chances are he'll experience noob gains.

That being said, I'd buy a chin up bar (about £10-15) and do chin up and pull ups. That way you'll work your entire upper body.
nopenopenope
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
This is very true, but chances are he'll experience noob gains.

That being said, I'd buy a chin up bar (about £10-15) and do chin up and pull ups. That way you'll work your entire upper body.
What both of those exercises target:
Spoiler:
Show
Target
Latissimus Dorsi

Synergists
Brachialis
Brachioradialis
Biceps Brachii
Teres Major
Deltoid, Posterior
Infraspinatus
Teres Minor
Rhomboids
Levator Scapulae
Trapezius, Lower
Trapezius, Middle
Pectoralis Minor
Pectoralis Major, Sternal
Pectoralis Minor

Dynamic Stabilizers
Triceps, Long Head
Biceps Brachii

Some of the things they miss out:
Spoiler:
Show
Neck
Sternocleidomastoid
Splenius

Shoulders
Anterior deltoid
Lateral deltoid
Supraspinatus

Back
Trapezius, Upper
Infraspinatus

Chest
Serratus Anterior
Pectoralis Major, Clavicular
EonBlueApocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nopenopenope)
What both of those exercises target:
Spoiler:
Show
Target
Latissimus Dorsi

Synergists
Brachialis
Brachioradialis
Biceps Brachii
Teres Major
Deltoid, Posterior
Infraspinatus
Teres Minor
Rhomboids
Levator Scapulae
Trapezius, Lower
Trapezius, Middle
Pectoralis Minor
Pectoralis Major, Sternal
Pectoralis Minor

Dynamic Stabilizers
Triceps, Long Head
Biceps Brachii

Some of the things they miss out:
Spoiler:
Show
Neck
Sternocleidomastoid
Splenius

Shoulders
Anterior deltoid
Lateral deltoid
Supraspinatus

Back
Trapezius, Upper
Infraspinatus

Chest
Serratus Anterior
Pectoralis Major, Clavicular
Is this another classic TSR pedantic post? Because I didn't literally mean every single muscle in the upper body but generally it does work your whole upper body.
nopenopenope
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this another classic TSR pedantic post? Because I didn't literally mean every single muscle in the upper body but generally it does work your whole upper body.
I wasn't trying to offend you or anything, now OP knows what else he has to target too.
save
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Without going in depth like nope did. Chin ups / pull ups target back and biceps. Not entire upper body.
goldenfish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
Without going in depth like nope did. Chin ups / pull ups target back and biceps. Not entire upper body.
Technically, they do target all - or most of the upper body - they target the back mainly. But they also target the assistor muscles which include: the muscles of the forearms, upper back, shoulders,triceps,biceps and chest, although the Latissimus Dorsi is the main targeted muscle, all others are just synergists, if an underhand grip is used, the biceps are emphasised, but it remains a dynamic stabiliser, not the main worked muscle.
save
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by goldenfish)
Technically, they do target all - or most of the upper body - they target the back mainly. But they also target the assistor muscles which include: the muscles of the forearms, upper back, shoulders,triceps,biceps and chest, although the Latissimus Dorsi is the main targeted muscle, all others are just synergists, if an underhand grip is used, the biceps are emphasised, but it remains a dynamic stabiliser, not the main worked muscle.
Jesus christ, 'technically' anything you do uses hundreds of muscles, both superficial and deep. Stop being pedantic.... Pull ups are a back exercise, you won't see any gains on your shoulders / chest / triceps from doing pull ups or chin ups.
EonBlueApocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
Jesus christ, 'technically' anything you do uses hundreds of muscles, both superficial and deep. Stop being pedantic.... Pull ups are a back exercise, you won't see any gains on your shoulders / chest / triceps from doing pull ups or chin ups.
If you're a skinny guy like the OP yes you will.
save
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're a skinny guy like the OP yes you will.
You're absolutely and unequivocally wrong.
EonBlueApocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
You're absolutely and unequivocally wrong.
How so?
save
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How so?
You simple don't work those muscles (chest / triceps / delts) enough to see any gains whatsoever. He'll see improvement on his lats and bis if he does only pull ups / chin ups though.
EonBlueApocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
You simple don't work those muscles (chest / triceps / delts) enough to see any gains whatsoever. He'll see improvement on his lats and bis if he does only pull ups / chin ups though.
Agree about triceps. But for someone who's not worked out before chins and pull up would give you gains in your bis, chest, traps, front delt and lats.
save
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Agree about triceps. But for someone who's not worked out before chins and pull up would give you gains in your bis, chest, traps, front delt and lats.
We'll agree to disagree then lol!
EonBlueApocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
We'll agree to disagree then lol!
Ok, but a quick Google search will show you I'm correct. Remember we are talking about skinny guys who haven't really worked out before.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads