Turn on thread page Beta

best degree to do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what do you think is the best degree to do at uni

that would be the best for getting jobs?

and what is the worst/most worthless degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayeda)

Nobody can answer this question/these questions because it's totally down to preference. You like dealing with money? A Finance/Accounting degree may be best. You wan't to be a physicist***? Try Physics.

Find yourself first (deep, I know!). But you can't simply pursue a career down to money, you need to enjoy it. What do you like? What are you good at? What do you see yourself doing when you're 50?

ReputationRep:
    If all you're interested in is getting a job swerve uni and go into catering or something. You go to university to prepare you for a career and you don't base your career on what is easiest to get into.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    You wan't to be a physician? Try Physics.
    I think you'd do medicine to become a physician but physics to become a physicist (or a heck of a lot of other things)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    I think you'd do medicine to become a physician but physics to become a physicist (or a heck of a lot of other things)
    Totally true... Blame my lightning fast typing... phy phy! :cool:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Totally true... Blame my lightning fast typing... phy phy! :cool:
    true true and you could have used a better example than physics for a degree that's good for a single career only

ReputationRep:
    I'll echo the guys above, you need to do a degree because you want to, and have a genuine interest in the subject.

You will get plenty of posts along the lines of, if you want to ensure you get work at the end, then do Engineering, Science or Medicine.

But you would struggle to complete 4 years of study in those fields if you don't have the will, the brains, or the passion to do it.

ReputationRep:
    true true and you could have used a better example than physics for a degree that's good for a single career only
    Exactly why I did choose it... To highlight that it's best to be focused on what you want to do. Not simply 'eenie meenie miney mo' a degree course
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Exactly why I did choose it... To highlight that it's best to be focused on what you want to do. Not simply 'eenie meenie miney mo' a degree course
    Fair, I'm doing Physics as a route into finance... it's a very common progression

ReputationRep:
    Fair, I'm doing Physics as a route into finance... it's a very common progression
    I don't think I've heard of that before... Explain the method in the madness!

I say madness because I'd imagine a Finance degree would be much easier...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Physics, Maths or Engineering in terms of graduate prospects, the supposed prospects for medicine aren't as good as they're made out to be as while everyone gets a job after graduation there is a pretty significant proportion of unemployed medics after F2 (about 30% of those who complete foundation training).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't think I've heard of that before... Explain the method in the madness!

I say madness because I'd imagine a Finance degree would be much easier...
    The same mathematical and analytical methods and techniques as for financial analysis - though only physics degrees from top unis. More for investment banking and hedge funds in securities and anything that requires an analysis. Especially as Physics grads tend to have a slightly different approach to dealing with problems and have actually come up with some of the best analytical methods around. Finance is great when going into the finance department of a business though.

ReputationRep:
    Sure the science based jobs equate in most scenarios more money however, I still believe that the best degree for you to do is a degree you're interested in. You will be more successful in that because it will lead you to what you're truly destined to become :-)

Just think about it... Years ago a engineering or computer based course was 'worthless' but someone practised and studied what they was interested in whether it was through an institution or independently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The same mathematical and analytical methods and techniques as for financial analysis - though only physics degrees from top unis. More for investment banking and hedge funds in securities and anything that requires an analysis. Especially as Physics grads tend to have a slightly different approach to dealing with problems and have actually come up with some of the best analytical methods around. Finance is great when going into the finance department of a business though.
    I see, that makes sense (the whole different approach thing)... You're looking at IB/HFs etc then? Competitive! What uni are you at?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I see, that makes sense (the whole different approach thing)... You're looking at IB/HFs etc then? Competitive! What uni are you at?
    Yes, I'm also looking at some consultancy roles as well and accountancy. I'm at Oxford, yourself?

ReputationRep:
    1. Something that sets you up for a job you will truly enjoy! Working life is a long time and I think many end up hating their graduate career path. Think hard.

OR

2. Something that leads to a pretty well paid job to justify the high investment in tertiary level education. I am beginning to think that apprenticeships could be a better bet these days even though I loved uni.

ReputationRep:
    An Accounting & Finance degree is also good for many divisions within an investment bank as well. E.g. Mergers and Acquisitions

Though most of the stuff is learnt on the job

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm also looking at some consultancy roles as well and accountancy. I'm at Oxford, yourself?
    It seems a long way for a shortcut to move in to accountancy! Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayeda)

Do something which you enjoy and which will help you break into a discipline you would like to work in

There is no point doing a chemistry degree if you have no passion for either the subject or the field

Along with your degree, try and get some internships and good extra-curriculars.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody can answer this question/these questions because it's totally down to preference. You like dealing with money? A Finance/Accounting degree may be best. You wan't to be a physician? Try Physics.

Find yourself first (deep, I know!). But you can't simply pursue a career down to money, you need to enjoy it. What do you like? What are you good at? What do you see yourself doing when you're 50?
    :confused: You mean medicine, right?

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.