Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If we have two equilibrium constants K1 and K2, measured at T1 and T2 respectively, for a certain reaction, should there not be a ΔG° relationship between them? If ΔG°=-R*T*ln(K) then it follows that ln(K2/K1)=-(ΔG°/R)*(1/T2-1/T1) as far as I can see (just divide K2 by K1). But then if you try replacing with ΔG°=ΔH°-T·ΔS°, ΔS° falls out and we end up with ln(K2/K1)=-(ΔH°/R)*(1/T2-1/T1). How can both formulae be correct - doesn't that suggest ΔG°=ΔH°, which is not necessarily (almost never) true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    If we have two equilibrium constants K1 and K2, measured at T1 and T2 respectively, for a certain reaction, should there not be a ΔG° relationship between them? If ΔG°=-R*T*ln(K) then it follows that ln(K2/K1)=-(ΔG°/R)*(1/T2-1/T1) as far as I can see (just divide K2 by K1). But then if you try replacing with ΔG°=ΔH°-T·ΔS°, ΔS° falls out and we end up with ln(K2/K1)=-(ΔH°/R)*(1/T2-1/T1). How can both formulae be correct - doesn't that suggest ΔG°=ΔH°, which is not necessarily (almost never) true?
    I think this is because you are assuming dH to be T independent (Which it isn't)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    Why does ΔS "fall out"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMaydom)
    I think this is because you are assuming dH to be T independent (Which it isn't)
    Possibly ... but then both relations are wrong, no? I've seen the ΔH° relationship all over the Internet, but derived the ΔG° one for myself, which I've seen nowhere else but in which I can't find the flaw ...

(Original post by charco)
    Why does ΔS "fall out"?
    Try the derivation, it naturally falls out. Go from ΔH°-T1*ΔS°=-R*T1*ln(K1) and ΔH°-T2*ΔS°=-R*T2*ln(K2) and try and find ln(K2/K1), you will find ΔS° is not needed. (Of course we are assuming that ΔH° and ΔS° are temperature independent as JMaydom said above.)

If you'd rather just see the equation derived, here: http://www.chem.ufl.edu/~itl/4411/lectures/lec_v.html.

It's not ln(K2/K1)=-(ΔH°/R)*(1/T2-1/T1) which is in doubt, it's definitely correct. ln(K2/K1)=-(ΔG°/R)*(1/T2-1/T1) is in doubt.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2013

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.