Do I have to do a resit? Watch

Mollli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay so I heard you need a D3 to get to second year. I passed on all my exams except for one, I got an E1.

Now the course I chose I do not want to continue with in second year.
I did Business, Psychology and Philosophy in semester one. Dropped Philosophy, and changed it to Astronomy for the second semester. Astronomy is the one I failed, but I only took it because I dropped philosophy and had to pick something for the second semester.

I spoke to my adviser but I'm not really sure what she means. She said:
"You need 200 credits at D or above and so as long as you manage this for 20 of your 40 level 1 credits next year then you will be fine and don't have to take this resit."

I asked her what she meant and she said:

"You must have 200 of 240 credits at D grade or above (including 80 level 2 credits) by the end of year 2 to qualify for Honours entry. If you resit this course and achieve a D grade, you have more flexibility next year regarding what you must achieve. I'd advise you to take the resit if possible but it's up to you"

Has anyone been in this position? What flexibility is she talking about? Is it worth paying 150 pounds for?

Please anyone help I'm kinda lost.
mythtakes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Short term - you need a D3 to progress to second year in the subjects that you're actually going to study in second year. If you're not taking Astronomy then it doesn't matter.

Long(er) term - one course = 20 credits. You study 120 credits in first year, 120 in second year = 240 credits altogether. What she means is that you need to have a D3 or above in 10 (out of 12) of your modules at the end of second year. Right now, you've got 5 modules at a D3 or above, out of 6. You have more flexibility if you resit Astronomy and end up with at least a D3 because if you fail anything next year, you might end up not meeting the overall requirements for Honours. Entry to Honours is based on your grades for the subjects you're studying in third/fourth year, but you also need a minimum number of credits at D3 or above.

It's only worth paying £150 (is it really that much now?) to resit it if you think it's worth it. If you're sure you'll pass everything next year then that's fine and no need to resit now.
Ajay13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mythtakes)
Sorry to quote you on this but ive got a kind of similar problem and you seem to know what you're talking about more than my advisor!!

Im just finishing first year but am transferring my degree from maths to biology. I have passed 100 of my 120 credits with C3 being my lowest grade. the other 20 were in maths and i got an E something. To transfer me from science and engineering to life sciences the uni are saying i need to pass maths at a D3 (which i have been trying and theres no way in hell i am able to achieve) even though it is not a pre-requisite to my course! ive also passed the other requirements for second year like the pre-requisits in biology and chem and a good enough GPA and enough credits passed at a D. Is it likely that they will transfer me anyway even if i fail or is it more likely that I will have to resit first year to change my degree?

Sorry if thats confusing.. Just thought I'd ask incase you know an answer.. even though i know the chances of that are very slim!!
mythtakes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ajay13)
Sorry to quote you on this but ive got a kind of similar problem and you seem to know what you're talking about more than my advisor!!

Im just finishing first year but am transferring my degree from maths to biology. I have passed 100 of my 120 credits with C3 being my lowest grade. the other 20 were in maths and i got an E something. To transfer me from science and engineering to life sciences the uni are saying i need to pass maths at a D3 (which i have been trying and theres no way in hell i am able to achieve) even though it is not a pre-requisite to my course! ive also passed the other requirements for second year like the pre-requisits in biology and chem and a good enough GPA and enough credits passed at a D. Is it likely that they will transfer me anyway even if i fail or is it more likely that I will have to resit first year to change my degree?

Sorry if thats confusing.. Just thought I'd ask incase you know an answer.. even though i know the chances of that are very slim!!
Who told you that? Why have they said you need to pass maths at a D3? Sorry those questions sound a bit accusing; I don't mean them to be! I just want to know if you were told that by someone from life sciences or someone else. Were you told that so it doesn't affect your overall GPA or because you just need it in order to transfer to life sciences? I've read the information about transferring to life sciences (http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/lifesci...olifesciences/) and the level 2 biology overview (http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_271199_en.pdf) and there's no mention of needing maths at D3.

Loads of students change their degree/department after first or second year without any problems so resitting first year entirely seems a bit extreme. If you haven't already, I'd email your chief adviser (your adviser's boss, more or less) and ask them. Usually advisers are very knowledgable about these things, but sometimes there can be mix ups.
Ajay13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mythtakes)
Life sciences said they'd let me in if i passed everything at D3 and its just got me worrying cause i dont think ill be able to pass maths no matter how hard im trying! Iwas just wondering if it was likely that they'd let me in anyway even if i didnt pass!

I guess speaking to the chief advisor would help! My advisor is new and only started being an advisor this year!

Thanks!
Cookarawrcha
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm studying Engineering - 2nd year - I got an E3 and I know I have the choice whether to resit or not (however, my advisor suggested that I should since I also want to apply for medicine).

My question is - what happens if I do worse and end up with an F? Do they pretend the resit never happened? :/
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (146)
18.23%
No (487)
60.8%
Not really bothered about them (168)
20.97%

Watched Threads