The Student Room Group
It doesn't. Chinese law states that if it ever does, that will constitute an act of war. I wouldn't have thought the view of everyone in mainland China is as relevant as the view of those directly affected - namely, the Taiwanese themselves. And most of them seem to oppose both independence and complete unification, favouring a continuation of the status quo which lies somewhere in between.
Reply 2
ilovenuggets
Do u think it is reasonable that Taiwan has the right to seperate from China?In mainland of China almost all the people including me opposite that ,but to the international view it is still controversial ...

The cream of China's youth are unaware of the events in Tiananman square in 1989 - I don't hold the Chinese people's ability to make an unbiased political decision in high regard. What right does mainland China have to deny the Taiwanese freedom?
I seriously wish Taiwan declares itself the "Republic of Taiwan", that would be a progressive step in international politics.
Reply 4
Convalescent
I seriously wish Taiwan declares itself the "Republic of Taiwan", that would be a progressive step in international politics.

Followed by many, many steps back as when China takes millitary action.
If I were Taiwanese and temperamentally equalised with my English self I think I would hope to remain Chinese. But I'm damn sure a Jap or Yankee head butting into the argument would make me more Chinese than I started out.

What's the formal US position at the moment? As a Brit I might ask what the British govt's position is but that seems somehow less important.
There might be something in that, actually. It was certainly the case in Iraq, with a fair few people apparently turning against the idea of foreigners meddling in their affairs. Whether it actually increased Saddam's level of support is another matter, but it certainly reduced the enthusiasm for the invasion.

Latest

Trending

Trending