Applying for medicine with history of ill mental health Watch

tw781
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was wondering if any of you have experience with this and how it affected the application process and being accepted, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rosettastoned
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tw781)
I was wondering if any of you have experience with this and how it affected the application process and being accepted, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was depressed, anxious and pretty underweight as a result at the age of 15. With the help of antidepressants, CBT, and ace GP/psychiatrist support, I was happy and healthy by the time I was 17. When I was accepted into UCL they sent us all a health questionnaire, one of the sections of which asked about past mental health problems. I couldn't decide whether to disclose or not - I felt that I was now completely fine and was worried the med school might think I couldn't handle the course and take away my offer. In the end I decided to disclose.

It had no negative effects whatsoever. Occupational health did a phone interview with me, but they just wanted to check how I was now and make sure I was okay. When I had a relapse earlier this year, the med school were incredibly supportive, quite possibly more so than they would have been if they hadn't previously been aware.

Obviously it depends on what the problem is, how much it still affects you etc. However in the majority of cases I would say let them know - it is unlikely to affect your application but it will affect the support they can give you, which can make all the difference if you feel things are spinning out of control. At the end of the day it is your decision, and if you don't want to tell anyone about past mental health issues you don't have to.

Hope that answers your question
paul.dirac121
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tw781)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. Upon receiving a conditional offer for medicine you will be seng an occupational health questionnaire, in which you will have to disclose any current health problems and previous ones-including mental health. Your GP will have to confirm your history so in a way any mental health issues will have to be declared. Once sent off occy health may ring you to probe questions, and you probably will have to have a appointment with the unis occupational phycision. But this is all so that the uni can asses you so they can providehe best support and also be able to spot warning signs etc. Dont worry quite a lot of medics have mental health issues and have got by just fine. I really can't see anyone not being able to start medicine for mental health issues-unless we are talking about severe psychosis etc. Good luck and all the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.42%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.89%

Watched Threads