No Maths A-level for Medicine at Oxbridge? Watch

This discussion is closed.
lovely_girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hey, i chose biology, chemistry, physics and German for my A-levels...since everyone says that certain unis like ppl to have maths A-level, does this mean that you -need- to have maths, in order to apply to oxbridge? Well, sometimes they say it's not compulsory...but everyone who's doing med. at oxbridge seem to have done maths a-level! So im a bit worried now...Will i be ok with just physics???
Thanks!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lovely_girl)
hey, i chose biology, chemistry, physics and German for my A-levels...since everyone says that certain unis like ppl to have maths A-level, does this mean that you -need- to have maths, in order to apply to oxbridge? Well, sometimes they say it's not compulsory...but everyone who's doing med. at oxbridge seem to have done maths a-level! So im a bit worried now...Will i be ok with just physics???
Thanks!
It doesn't say anywhere that you have to have Maths. I did it because I couldn't face another 2 years of Physics. With those 3 you should be absolutely fine. There is no reason why you shouldn't apply, if your grades in the others are good enough.
Lisx
Report 14 years ago
Advanced Subsidiary and Advanced GCE requirement:
Passes in three of the following:
Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics.
One of the subjects must be Chemistry and at least one pass must be at GCE A level.
Typical offer is AAA

as long as you have your 3 sciences to full A Level at grade A then you meet minimum requirements. I imagine not doing maths would put you at disadvantage a bit because most cam med students seem to do 3 science and math but i'm no expert. best bet is to ring admissions, Good luck xxx
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was told (after applying..but thankfully it didn't affect me!) that Cambridge are more keen on 3 sciences at A2 level than Oxford.

With Oxford, it's just Chemistry essential at A2 i think. & not doing Maths doesn't put you at an obvious disadvantage..although there was a mathematical component to our entrance exam, as i think there is the BMAT.

HTH
looby
Report 14 years ago
hi. i do med and I did german instead of maths with chem and bio because i hate maths. i also didnt ever do physics so i crashed gcse, which was acceptable

I emailed the admissions tutors of the colleges which i liked, a lot said no maths and physics no way, but lots were fine with it, you just need to do your research a bit.

i always thought a language was more relevant to the people orientated aspect of the job anyway, i wouldn't have applied to cam if they'd insisted on maths, i just would not do maths again, rule.
Suzy_vet
Report 14 years ago
You need three sciences or 2 and maths, and i dont think it really matters. Maths probably is slightly prefered i would say, but im sure you dont need all four, and they dont specify anywhere.
looby
Report 14 years ago
for cambridge: 3sciences needed at GCSE level.

A lot of colleges are fine with just 2 sciences at Alevel.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks!
My advice would be to contact admissions tutors by email or phone and find out. One of the top medics at my school, was rejected by Oxford WITHOUT INTERVIEW despite doing 3 sciences and having a good reference, decent BMAT scores, and shitloads of experience. The only possible explanation is that he didn't do maths. Clearly, the college he applied to felt it was required. The same is not true, however, of a lot of other colleges, so you're just going to have to do some careful research to avoid being losing out.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
My advice would be to contact admissions tutors by email or phone and find out. One of the top medics at my school, was rejected by Oxford WITHOUT INTERVIEW despite doing 3 sciences and having a good reference, decent BMAT scores, and shitloads of experience. The only possible explanation is that he didn't do maths. Clearly, the college he applied to felt it was required. The same is not true, however, of a lot of other colleges, so you're just going to have to do some careful research to avoid being losing out.
Did he ever get any feedback? That's quite a big conclusion to jump to - apparently Oxford rejected tonnes of medics without interview this year, so he could have just had a bad draw.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Did he ever get any feedback? That's quite a big conclusion to jump to - apparently Oxford rejected tonnes of medics without interview this year, so he could have just had a bad draw.
He may have done - to be honest once someone is rejected without interview, you tend to avoid the subject around them. I don't know very much about medicine at Oxbridge, but the people to whom I spoke that do seemed fairly confident that the only explanation was maths.
DazYa16
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
He may have done - to be honest once someone is rejected without interview, you tend to avoid the subject around them. I don't know very much about medicine at Oxbridge, but the people to whom I spoke that do seemed fairly confident that the only explanation was maths.
most people at cambridge scared me
lovely_girl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Oh no...you're scaring me! I'm not taking maths! Aaaaaaa!
So you're telling me to ring a particular college and ask them???
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't want to put you off! It could be that this guy's college just had twice as many applicants as it could handle this year - that sort of thing happens a lot.

At the same time - it could be that it makes a difference. You would not have started this thread if you didn't suspect it could damage your chances. So, when you're choosing colleges, once you've narrowed it down to 5/6 colleges, phone them up and ask. You could also contact students - the JCR will always have an admissions officer, and some colleges will have people whom you can contact about particular subjects.

You can also look at all the medics' profiles on http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/sprofiles.asp
DazYa16
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
lol relax, my friend didn't take maths at a level and is at UCL med school... she took art and design, biology, chemistry and another

or you could just change to dentistry which is what i will be doing
Dil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DazYa16)
lol relax, my friend didn't take maths at a level and is at UCL med school... she took art and design, biology, chemistry and another

or you could just change to dentistry which is what i will be doing
you're kinda avoiding the point- she wants medicine requirements for oxbridge and not UCL...
DazYa16
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dil)
you're kinda avoiding the point- she wants medicine requirements for oxbridge and not UCL...
yeah i know but at the end od the day, a medical school is a medical school.
DazYa16
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
od = at
Dil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
not really though. the course structures are different e.g, PBL, trad courses etc. and also each med schools has varying degrees of research/teaching facilities. and add to that the living costs at the london med schools and you see that there is quite a big choice to make when choosing where to apply
DazYa16
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dil)
not really though. the course structures are different e.g, PBL, trad courses etc. and also each med schools has varying degrees of research/teaching facilities. and add to that the living costs at the london med schools and you see that there is quite a big choice to make when choosing where to apply
the reason i went off track and talked about UCL was because everyone replied to her about getting into oxbridge without maths

secondly, a med school IS a med school, so many people have told me this, there are advanatages and disadvantages with each...

you ever heard of a crap medical school? i think not.

ITS A MEDICAL SCHOOL JST LIKE ANY OTHER ACCEPT IT I HAVE FRIENDS THAT ARE READING MEDICINE AND TELL ME WHAT IT IS LIKE
squealer
Report 14 years ago
no need for maths a level - just two science a levels one of which has to be chemistry

need to get predicted all a grades and most ppl that get in have all a grade gcses with a few a stars :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (17)
94.44%
No (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads