The Student Room Group

What's OCR English Literature A-level like?

I'm starting English Lit AS in September with OCR, studying Frankenstein, Emily Dickinson's poetry, The Great Gatsby, The Bell Jar and something called The Shipping News. I'm excited because I love English and these books, but I have had baaaad experiences with OCR in the past, so what's it like for English? Anything I should beware for?
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Original post by paradoxicalme
I'm starting English Lit AS in September with OCR, studying Frankenstein, Emily Dickinson's poetry, The Great Gatsby, The Bell Jar and something called The Shipping News. I'm excited because I love English and these books, but I have had baaaad experiences with OCR in the past, so what's it like for English? Anything I should beware for?

I didn't do the texts you've mentioned but I did OCR A Level English Literature. I studied Jane Eyre and Yeats for my exam and did The Handmaids Tale, Enduring Love and Arcadia for coursework at AS.
I'd say that OCR English Lit is very good - the only trouble we had was that we didn't have any past paper questions due to being the first year for examination on our texts. It should be a bit easier now as there will have been 3 papers before you take yours so you'll have a bit more of an idea of what to expect :smile:
Only advice I can give is remember that it's kind of like jumping through hoops with the Assessment Objectives! THis was one of the things which caught me out a bit. :smile:
Hope this helps, if you want anymore advice feel free to PM me :biggrin:
Reply 3
Quite a good syllabus actually I was pleasantly surprised to actually take a liking for the poetry Emily Dickinson. It starts off dull but you will start to develop a liking.
The coursework was such a life saver aswell because if you do badly in the exam it's still okay.
I got an A overall this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending