Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've finally lost most of the fat I was carrying and dropped down from ~ 75kg to 55kg but now i'm looking very thin and I think it's a good idea to try and build some muscle mass. Can anyone recommend a simple beginners routine? I'm fairly new to weights so something with simple exercise would be great. I'm quite self conscious about my lack of gym experience and my physique so the more explanation the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aoide)
    I've finally lost most of the fat I was carrying and dropped down from ~ 75kg to 55kg but now i'm looking very thin and I think it's a good idea to try and build some muscle mass. Can anyone recommend a simple beginners routine? I'm fairly new to weights so something with simple exercise would be great. I'm quite self conscious about my lack of gym experience and my physique so the more explanation the better.
    How often can you go to the gym ? What's your diet like to begin with ? You should change it up from week to week, my week has been like this:

Sunday: Chest / Biceps / Abs
    Monday: Back / Triceps / Calves
    Tuesday: Shoulders / Forearms
    Wednesday: 40 Miler run / Abs
    Thursday: Quads / Hams / Biceps / Triceps
    Friday: Going to train shoulders and do some more cardio today I think.
    Saturday: Rest

ReputationRep:
    I'm back from uni so I can go to the gym whenever I need to, when I was losing fat I was going everyday day. I'm just starting to return my diet to normal amounts and i'm trying to up my protein intake for muscle building.

ReputationRep:
    Full body routine 3-4x a week

ReputationRep:
    This routine looks pretty decent for a beginner: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...0096473&page=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by save)
    How often can you go to the gym ? What's your diet like to begin with ? You should change it up from week to week, my week has been like this:

Isn't it this?
    Chest/tris
    Back/bis
    Legs/shoulders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aoide)
    I'm back from uni so I can go to the gym whenever I need to, when I was losing fat I was going everyday day. I'm just starting to return my diet to normal amounts and i'm trying to up my protein intake for muscle building.
    That's good, but if you're wanting to gain weight you'll need to get those calories back in! May seem strange to do since you've been dieting down for a while. You need plenty of carbs, plenty of protein. There is a formula for how much protein you need based on your weight/height(bmi) but I don't have my diary with me that it's written in. I'm sure you could google this however I'm bulking at the moment and have an intake of 5k calories roughly. & if you're training 5/6 times a week you'll need a ton of carbs for energy.

Start simple and do main muscles groups and synergistic muscles together and don't forget legs! Training legs will increase gains across your entire body by increasing ATP production / growth hormone and testosterone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nopenopenope)
    Isn't it this?
    Chest/tris
    Back/bis
    Legs/shoulders
    That's what I'd suggest for a beginner and the OP. Although currently I'm training antagonistic muscle pairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by save)
    That's what I'd suggest for a beginner and the OP. Although currently I'm training antagonistic muscle pairs.
    Ohhh you posted what you did. Didn't even read it, just read the routine lel. Sorry mang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nopenopenope)
    Ohhh you posted what you did. Didn't even read it, just read the routine lel. Sorry mang.
    >.< I do change it up pretty often though, so I do train chest/triceps together sometimes for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by save)
    That's good, but if you're wanting to gain weight you'll need to get those calories back in! May seem strange to do since you've been dieting down for a while. You need plenty of carbs, plenty of protein. There is a formula for how much protein you need based on your weight/height(bmi) but I don't have my diary with me that it's written in. I'm sure you could google this however I'm bulking at the moment and have an intake of 5k calories roughly. & if you're training 5/6 times a week you'll need a ton of carbs for energy.

Start simple and do main muscles groups and synergistic muscles together and don't forget legs! Training legs will increase gains across your entire body by increasing ATP production / growth hormone and testosterone.
    Yeah I have increased my calorie intake to ~300 above maintenance but I want to take it slow at first so my body can adjust to eating normally again and being short and skinny means even when bulking I won't be eating a huge amount of calories. I'm currently aiming for 1800 cals/day. I'd also rather gain mass slowly and minimise fat gains.

What exercise combination would you suggest for each area? I've never really focused on lifting before so this is all very new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by save)

Ha, just the casual 1 and a half marathon every Wednesday ... ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aoide)
    Yeah I have increased my calorie intake to ~300 above maintenance but I want to take it slow at first so my body can adjust to eating normally again and being short and skinny means even when bulking I won't be eating a huge amount of calories. I'm currently aiming for 1800 cals/day. I'd also rather gain mass slowly and minimise fat gains.

What exercise combination would you suggest for each area? I've never really focused on lifting before so this is all very new.
    Understandable, but you shouldn't really concern yourself with putting on a bit of fat, I know you're not a bodybuilder or anything but you'll put on fat when gaining weight regardless. Frankly I never care about how much fat I put on, because you lose all the fat on your cutting cycle. I've gone from 8% - 25% BF within 3 months of bulking, then back down to 6/7% within 2 months for the summer, while retaining the muscle I've gained.

The reason for this is that it's difficult to manage how much protein / carbs you're using for the specific protein synthesis of each muscle you train. Protein and Carbs especially are easily converted to fat for storage by your body. So if you don't use much of your intake, you'll put on a bit of fat. Alternatively if you're 'skimpy' with your protein or carb intake you either won't have good amounts of protein to rebuild your muscles after training OR simply won't have enough energy your body demands for muscle building exercises.

(You can google any of the exercises I list below if you don't know how to do them. Form is Everything! So even if you have heard of them before and know how to do them, watch a youtube video on it anyway )

Monday do legs, so for a beginner do something like: Squats / walking lunges superset. Leg extensions / Hack squat superset. Lying/seated leg curl drop set. Donkey raises or calf raises diamond set, followed by a few sets of high weight sumo squats.

Tuesday do chest and triceps, incline or flat bench press / cable fly supersets. Cable chest press on their own or with dips. Smith press negatives. Dips and simple press ups supersets. Tricep pushdowns, and reverse tricep pushdowns (cables) superset. Tricep extensions drop set.

Wednesday have a day off, chill out and rest.

Thursday back and biceps, Deadlifts (start light, progress towards your max) pulldowns (or pull ups) supersetted with straight arm pulldowns (Difficult to perfect but a brilliant exercise), upright row drop set, bent over row drop set followed by seated row and light pulldowns superset. Zottman curls, peak curls supersets, Hammer curls drop set. Conc curls negatives (ask someone for a spot).

Friday Shoulder and abs (and anything you have missed), Start with traps, it's a back exercise, but you won't have trained it enough during Thursday's back session, save it for shoulder day, Engages deltoids and increases blood flow. Diamond set of smith press shrugs followed by turtle shrugs, each set different width eg: wide, shoulder width, narrow and behind back. Arnie presses and light smith shoulder presses superset. Leaning middle delt raises supersetted with cable rotator cuff raises (cables). Drop set of dumbbell side raises (eg 20kgs/15kgs/10kgs). Front barbbell raises negatives (Ask someone to help, and keep form perfect, don't lean back)

Sat / Sun: Chill, or cardio (Swimmings the best )

You could also switch fridays session to saturday and rest on friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white dwarf)
    Ha, just the casual 1 and a half marathon every Wednesday ... ?
    Bloody hell no, not every Wednesday. I was hanging out before mile 20 to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    OP i have been in a similar situation as you when i was much younger.

I was rather fat before so i made a decision to change who i was, and went down from around 75 to 55kg like you. I then looked like a weak pathetic twig, but this lasted for about a year till i decided it wasn't worth it.

Then i joined a gym, started eating a lot of food, sleeping a lot more, and working out a lot too. I did a full body workout as i wanted liked working out my bodyparts frequently. I have tried splits in the past and they are very good for building muscle, but i didnt enjoy it, and to me its about enjoyment.

What i did was heavy set followed by high volume, or just high volume itself.

Some weeks i did around 5 - 6 sets of 8 - 12 reps. I made sure that i did around 50 total reps, so 5x10 or 4x12, 6x8 for big exercises like squats, bb/db bench, rows, pull ups, romanian deadlifts (I wouldnt reccomend high rep high set on actual heavy deadlifts).

Sometimes i would do a heavy set of squat, say 3 rep or 5 rep max, then go down to a lower weight and pump out a couple sets of 10 - 12 reps, or go on the leg press and do around 15 - 20 reps on that for a couple sets.

Same with deadlifts, after a heavy 3 rep max i would drop down and do high rep snatch grip or romanian deadlifts for high reps many sets.

Rows i have always done high reps. For me, i believe back work should always be with high reps. It has always worked, low reps heavy has not done much for my back.

After doing 3 big movements, e.g. squat then bench then rows or something, you can finish off with some sort of isolation and ab work. Ab work is very important to keeping yourself healthy, and you get nice abs as a bonus. Do arm isolations, do facepulls too when you can, brillian exercise.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.