Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just been rejected by Deloitte straight after application (actuarial consultancy grad scheme). I was wondering how common this is, or whether there was something horribly wrong with my application?

My profile is: Newcastle University - Economics (1st average achieved in 2nd year)
    A-levels: A*A*A (Maths, Economics, Philosophy)

Have sort of relevant work experience, completed a short internship at a stockbrokers this summer, aswell as some experience at RBS GB&M. Extra-Curriculars include county/uni level sport, prefect at school, Uni Finance Society. Basically trying to understand the reason for rejection at this stage. Is it simply a lot of competition? Wrong degree/institution? Wrong sort of work experience/no Deloitte internship? A **** up in my application? Obviously it is impossible to say for definite but if anyone has any ideas about the chance someone with my profile might have in at least getting to the numerical reasoning, would be very helpful, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..that's weird. You seem to have a strong application in terms of grades, work experience etc.. not sure why they would filter you out at the initial stage!
    What were your GCSE grades for maths/english and did you do all your exams in first sittings? Because they don't accept applications if you done retakes (for example taking a third year to complete a levels and not the usual two years).
    How did you think you did on the questions they ask you in your application at the end bit? (Not sure if this applies to actuarial)
    I am not to judge but Actuarial consultancy seems like it is one of the most demanding and competitive roles to apply for out of all the roles in Deloitte. I dunno, but what you wrote seemed like you should have gone through to the next stage fairly easily.

ReputationRep:
    I have just had a look and some of my tenses were mixed for the past work experience stuff! Feel so stupid, checked the other stuff a lot but skimmed that stuff. Rushed it basically! I assume that will be it, which in some ways is reassuring, but kicking myself. Thanks for the reply by the way! GCSE Maths and English were both A's, and I feel I answered the questions well, I put a decent amount of research in for both. Oh well, still have the rest of the big 4 along with countless other grad jobs haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie04)
    Just been rejected by Deloitte straight after application (actuarial consultancy grad scheme). I was wondering how common this is, or whether there was something horribly wrong with my application?

My profile is: Newcastle University - Economics (1st average achieved in 2nd year)
    A-levels: A*A*A (Maths, Economics, Philosophy)

Have sort of relevant work experience, completed a short internship at a stockbrokers this summer, aswell as some experience at RBS GB&M. Extra-Curriculars include county/uni level sport, prefect at school, Uni Finance Society. Basically trying to understand the reason for rejection at this stage. Is it simply a lot of competition? Wrong degree/institution? Wrong sort of work experience/no Deloitte internship? A **** up in my application? Obviously it is impossible to say for definite but if anyone has any ideas about the chance someone with my profile might have in at least getting to the numerical reasoning, would be very helpful, cheers.
    Were your answers to their questions on the application form really crap? What separates Deloitte from the other Big 4 or whatever it is. Because it is quite easy to get these pretty wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    Were your answers to their questions on the application form really crap? What separates Deloitte from the other Big 4 or whatever it is. Because it is quite easy to get these pretty wrong.
    I think they were pretty good, I put quite a bit of research in. I reviewed my application, and my grammar on the past work experience stuff in places is crap! I think that will be it, with the level of competition they will see that and just think that it's very careless, and to be fair it is. I rushed that bit for no reason at all, just over excitement to get it submitted I guess. Taught me a valuable lesson really.

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually asked them? Doing this is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes HR had some mistake occasionally... like incidently rejecting you...They won't correct their mistake as there are sufficient volume of applications.

But I think they will make up to you in some way...I was rejected by one of the Big 4 last year and they fast-tracked me through the AC, directly to the next stage half a year later.

ReputationRep:
    ^
    Doesn't they say you have to have a gap of 1 year before applying to the next cycle.
    I was rejected too but that was because my profile didn't look anything as impressive as yours but like Londonburger says they are very unlikely to reinstate your application just because of the sheer volume of good candidates to choose from. You can always try applying next year. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    ^
    Doesn't they say you have to have a gap of 1 year before applying to the next cycle.
    I was rejected too but that was because my profile didn't look anything as impressive as yours but like Londonburger says they are very unlikely to reinstate your application just because of the sheer volume of good candidates to choose from. You can always try applying next year. Good luck.
    The thing is that they can easily get an excuse to reject you, as long as they want...

ReputationRep:
    The above comments about mistakes and acidental rejections is just self indulgent nonsense (no offense).

They rejected you because you screwed up somewhere in your application. It happens to the best of candidates, move on to the next place and forget about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londonburger)
    Sometimes HR had some mistake occasionally... like incidently rejecting you...They won't correct their mistake as there are sufficient volume of applications.

But I think they will make up to you in some way...I was rejected by one of the Big 4 last year and they fast-tracked me through the AC, directly to the next stage half a year later.
    I find this highly unlikely

(Original post by M1011)
    The above comments about mistakes and acidental rejections is just self indulgent nonsense (no offense).

They rejected you because you screwed up somewhere in your application. It happens to the best of candidates, move on to the next place and forget about it!
    This!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
    I find this highly unlikely

This!
    Well, I didn't mean to say that was a common situation which can widely happen to applicants. I just stated what happened to me, indicating only a (probably only a tiny) aspect of the possibility.

You guys do not necessarily need to critise it to this extent...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londonburger)
    Well, I didn't mean to say that was a common situation which can widely happen to applicants. I just stated what happened to me, indicating only a (probably only a tiny) aspect of the possibility.

You guys do not necessarily need to critise it to this extent...
    I haven't even begun to critisise this enough you mindless, bumbling, baboon of a per... only joking!

ReputationRep:
    I thought they didn't look at the application itself until after the tests... Is that a wrong assumption of mine?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by WhiteTea)
    I thought they didn't look at the application itself until after the tests... Is that a wrong assumption of mine?
    Nope. Application is first screened within 3 days and if successful you'll receive and email for the online test

https://mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/...ing/appprocess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosy91)
    Nope. Application is first screened within 3 days and if successful you'll receive and email for the online test

https://mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/...ing/appprocess
    Wouldn't surprise me at all if they screened out those that didn't meet the base requirements (e.g. didn't have the UCAS) automatically, administered the tests and then bothered reading all the long wordy parts of the application. Given the volumes of applicants, it's what I'd do!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In the Deloitte application system, do we have to add all our GCSE grades? there's a mandatory field for maths and English. However, there's space to add qualifications (albeit under AS/A level section)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosy91)
    In the Deloitte application system, do we have to add all our GCSE grades? there's a mandatory field for maths and English. However, there's space to add qualifications (albeit under AS/A level section)
    No

ReputationRep:
    A little unrelated. But I am starting an actuarial course hopefully in 2014. I will be taking A level Maths and AS further Maths this year because my school in America didn't offer any math equivalent. Do you think I would stand a chance being that I would have 2 AP's (equivalent to A levels in usa) and 1 A level and 1 AS as its a combination of different things? (Probably totaling 300 ucas points)

ReputationRep:
    You wont get any UCAS points from the AS level in regards to your Deloitte application. The 300 points has to come from 3 a levels, in your case 2 AP and 1 A level.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.