The Student Room Group

Marine has no regrets urinating on bodies of dead Taliban

One of the four U.S. Marines brazenly filmed urinating on the bodies of dead Taliban fighters says he has no regrets and would do it again.

"These were the same guys that were killing our family, killing our brothers," Sgt. Joseph Chamblin spoke for the first time about the 2011 incident shot in Afghanistan to WSOC-TV.

"We're human," he continued. "Who wouldn't [want to get revenge] if you lost your brother or mother? Wouldn't you want revenge?"

Chamblin, a scout-sniper and infantry unit leader was court-martialed. He pleaded guilty to the offense in December and was demoted.

"Do I regret doing it? Hell no," the 35-year-old Leatherneck said from his Richlands, N.C., home.

"Do you want the Marine Corps to be a group of boy scout pretty boys or do you want guys that will go out and kill the people trying to take advantage of your country and kill Americans? Which do you want? Because you can't have both."

One of Chamblin's men, Sgt. Mark Bradley, was killed by an IED explosion just days before a gun battle in enemy territory left nearly a dozen Taliban insurgents dead.

Chamblin's unit was ordered to recover the insurgents' bodies, leading to what would become their final revenge on behalf of Bradley and the rest of their lost men.

"It's not like it was a conscious thought or decision," he said of that moment. "But one was like, 'You know what, [urinate] on these guys.' And some said, 'Yeah, [urinate] on them.'"

Among Chamblin's charges in December was dereliction of duty for not stopping the junior marines with him.

Asked if he believes the bodies' desecration could have put other Marines at risk, he says no. If anything, it messed with the enemy psychologically.

"If an infidel touches the body, they're not going to Mecca or paradise. So, now these insurgents see what happens when you mess with us," he said.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai each weighed in on the video with Panetta calling it "utterly deplorable," Karzai calling it "inhumane" and Clinton "inconsistent with American values."

After 15 years of service that included three deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, Chamblin is retiring in September.

He's currently working on a book called "Into Infamy," which will document his military service. He plans to dedicate it to Bradley.

Two other Marines are still waiting their hearings, including the platoon captain.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/marine-regrets-urinating-taliban-article-1.1399764

Worst thing is, rehabilitation probably won't help them. Makes you wonder how many, whether publicly or secretly have the same low-life perceptions.

Oh, and this one's got to be funnier than the pork bullets lol

If an infidel touches the body, they're not going to Mecca or paradise.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Worst thing is, rehabilitation probably won't help them. Makes you wonder how many, whether publicly or secretly have the same low-life perceptions.

Huh what low life perceptions are these? That the Taliban are bad? I'd guess that quite a lot of people feel that way.

Certainly what they did was distasteful and as members of the US military they should have acted with professionalism but the Taliban aren't going to be getting any sympathy from me and i'm certainly not morally outraged. As the marine pointed out these are people who kill our soldiers and innocent people from their own country, we shouldn't forget all the bad they have done just because they are dead.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aoide
Huh what low life perceptions are these? That the Taliban are bad? I'd guess that quite a lot of people feel that way.

Certainly what they did was distasteful and as members of the US military they should have acted with professionalism but the Taliban aren't going to be getting any sympathy from me and i'm certainly not morally outraged. As the marine pointed out these are people who kill our soldiers and innocent people from their own country, we shouldn't forget all the bad they have done just because they are dead.
I second that.
Reply 3
To be honest, I wasn't expecting someone without morals to be outraged anyways.

What they done was something a low-life would do. Doesn't matter how much you hate your enemy, there's certain limits in warfare that any self-respecting person would not cross.

And the dead, regardless of who's body it is, should be respected.
Reply 4
Meh it's bad but the Taliban are still likely to get far better treatment from the Americans than they could expect from the Taliban.
If an infidel touches the body, they're not going to Mecca or paradise.

It's worth it just to troll their magical fairy fantasies.

Personally, we're the ones who should be setting the more mature example, even if the Taliban are shooting women who dare to be educated and not want to submit to their animalistic culture of fail.
Reply 6
I assume dead bodies smell, leaving them festering in urine would surely increase the stench and make them more awkward to move. I just see it as impractical.
Reply 7
Original post by Al-Mudaari
To be honest, I wasn't expecting someone without morals to be outraged anyways.

What they done was something a low-life would do. Doesn't matter how much you hate your enemy, there's certain limits in warfare that any self-respecting person would not cross.

And the dead, regardless of who's body it is, should be respected.

I disagree. I don't respect these animals in life so why should death change anything?
Reply 8
What do you expect? These guys are trained to kill, they aren't angels and don't pretend to be.
How does urinating on the deceased stop the Taliban from claiming more lives? If anything, it'd incite more anger and hatred for the US army.

Dumbasses :colonhash:
Many soldiers these days are blinded by irrational hatred which damages their ability to stay focused and give full attention to a worthwhile cause.
"While all those weapons are created and owned by this government, they are harmless without people willing to use them."
Reply 12
Personally i think that killing the Tallies is quite enough. Urinating on Terry after he is dead is not necessary.
Reply 13
Original post by Ayesha1234
How does urinating on the deceased stop the Taliban from claiming more lives? If anything, it'd incite more anger and hatred for the US army.

Dumbasses :colonhash:

This wasn't done with the intent of stopping the Taliban from doing anything; it was done for revenge. Those Taliban insurgents were already dead, but that clearly didn't satisfy that platoon. It was an act of anger, without any thought for the consequences.

I'm not really into the whole 'respect the dead bodies' mantra... I mean, they're enemies, it doesn't matter if they are dead or alive. But stooping to their level and encouraging more vitriol from the opposing side is not something we (the west) should be doing.
Reply 14
To piss on these dead Taliban is to show only hatred and triumph over them. I don't think we should forget that they were once innocent children, and their lives have been wasted on hatred and false convictions. Now they are dead. It is a victory, but a sad one.

At the end of the day we are all humans and should treat one another with basic compassion and respect. Those dead members of the Taliban may have failed to do so, they may be the worst specimens of humanity, but even assuming that they are, soldiers should conduct themselves with dignity and uphold the standards that distinguish them from the likes of the Taliban as best they can.

I can see why it might happen though because soldiers work in extreme conditions, they suffer terrible loss - and it is probably hard, very hard to keep even the tiniest love for their enemies, especially when their enemies are deplorable, as the Taliban are. Perhaps more should be done to help soldiers cope with their feelings (loss, hatred, anger) and to enforce ethical discipline from the top down.
Original post by Aoide
I disagree. I don't respect these animals in life so why should death change anything?

I highly doubt many people respect the Taliban but that doesn't mean it's okay for people to urinate on their corpses. Not only is it a very vulgar and disgusting, it's completely and utterly pointless. How is urinating on someone a way of getting revenge? The only thing it does it aggravate the Taliban even further and increase the tension and hatred between the two.
Lets make no bones about it, the Taliban are a bunch of scumbags.

However, has been said before, once an enemy soldier has been killed, then the body should be treated with respect and if one has to bury the body, then the body must be buried in accordance with his/her faith and custom.
Original post by Aoide

I would like to point out that we also kill their soldiers, which is obviously inevitable considering we are in war and that we have also killed civilians, lets not also forget the cases of soldiers raping women out there also. Look at the murder of Lee Rigby, the coward who killed him was talking about the bad treatment of women by some soldiers, its acts like this which escalate situations and cause more soldiers to die. I may not have any sympathy for the dead Taliban member but I am definitely morally outraged that acts like this lead to more deaths.
Original post by Xotol
This wasn't done with the intent of stopping the Taliban from doing anything; it was done for revenge. Those Taliban insurgents were already dead, but that clearly didn't satisfy that platoon. It was an act of anger, without any thought for the consequences.

I'm not really into the whole 'respect the dead bodies' mantra... I mean, they're enemies, it doesn't matter if they are dead or alive. But stooping to their level and encouraging more vitriol from the opposing side is not something we (the west) should be doing.

I see what you mean but I don't think it's right to inflict more harm on the dead, I know they can't feel it but they can't defend themselves either. I guess it's the moral thing to do imo.
Reply 19
Original post by Aoide

Guess we have to agree to disagree.

I've been taught to both love and hate in moderation, less you become an irrational slave to either. I certainly have a dislike towards Israel for example, but never enough to let go of my moral concious.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending