The Student Room Group

how to learn to stop overthinking.

how to learn to stop overthinking.?

i would explain why, but id rather not say on public domain.
Personally I overthink a lot and have never got any better result in the end. It's perhaps related with your own personality. I guess you don't overthink about everthing right? maybe just the things you care too much about.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Personally I overthink a lot and have never got any better result in the end. It's perhaps related with your own personality. I guess you don't overthink about everthing right? maybe just the things you care too much about

Nail.On.Head.

Doesnt take a genius to work out what that is.

I seem to have got better at it, and im a lot more confident for it. Just certain things I tend to overthink about. Caring isnt a bad thing. But too much, isnt cool.
Original post by Cheech23
how to learn to stop overthinking.?

i would explain why, but id rather not say on public domain.

Difficult to give advice because there is no context. It could be relationships? rejection? Health issues? Self image? Employment? Anything in fact and advice will be specific to each. If you can give an indication without detailing the issue, that would be a big help.

Over-thinking is quite natural and probably comes from a raised level of anxiety, usually through wanting a positive outcome or a desire to which there are risks. It's the outcome and especially the risk element which may be out of one's control causing the anxiety or fear that your desired outcome cannot be achieved.

That can lead to a pessimistic view because rather than focussing on the positives, the person almost invariably looks at the negative outcomes and tries to work out solutions for each an every situation. And the conclusion is rather than accepting it as something that either cannot be changed or is inevitable, the negative outcome is focussed as a reflection on yourself/character/ability/shortcoming etc.

Best advice?

Relationships are built on trust, that works both ways. Trust means you open yourself up to hurt, but you still have to do it. Don't worry or over-think until you know for certain that your trust has been betrayed. If in doubt ask, once only. But then put it to bed and trust that person.

If it's a question you need an answer to, find the person who will give you a direct answer and then plan from there. i.e. doctor, girl you want to date, employer, teacher etc.

Be aware of the situations that you tend to over-think, then when that situation arises, consciously make the effort to stop. Divert your attention, engage in an activity that requires concentration or new learning.

Self awareness that no-one is perfect and you cannot control the thoughts of other people.

Stop projecting the worst-case scenarios. These are not average outcomes and the very big probability is that they wont happen. So don't waste time and energy on that 1 in a million chance.

Think about the big picture. If it doesn't happen, you have not lost anything. You will still be here, the world will not stop turning and will get another chance.

Learn from your experiences but look for ways to turn a negative outcome into a positive learning experience. e.g. the girl rejected you - her loss not yours, plenty of other fish in the sea etc.

Keep trying.
(edited 10 years ago)
I try to distract myself with a different topic in my head to put my mind off it.

Quick Reply