Weight loss - more exercise = more weight loss? Watch

notinuse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to lose as much weight as I can before I go back to uni (going on holiday too). I have joined the gym again and I know I can lose weight as I have lost 1.5 stone and kept it off. If I go to the gym everyday after work for a LONG time will that increase my chances? Basically if I burnt off all my calories (will be healthy eating) in the gym, and more, will I have a speedy weight loss? Help please!
LittleMissPerky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey XD i am trying to do the same before i start university in september too and my mother has found this died you do for a week on netmums and we have been following it for the last week and i have lost 7 pounds and my mother 9 this week. you can only do it for a week at a time so we are doing it every second week. i hope this helps you as much as its helped us.

http://goo.gl/R9fCr
Antifazian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Work smarter not necessarily harder!

Exercises such as weight lifting and interval exercises are far, far more effective than running for an hour on the treadmill for example (treadmills are useless in general though anyway).

Look into strength training programmes and try interval sprints or hill sprints. Work intensely but for less time and see much better results, there's no need to be in the gym for hours at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
save
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As Antifazian said interval training is a brilliant way to lose weight.

Also, try high intensity resistance training. For example:

Clean and Press
Bench Press
Deadlifts
Pulldowns
Squats
Lunges

Classes are free at many gyms, a couple you should try that are good for fat loss are Spinning and Boxercise.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LittleMissPerky)
hey XD i am trying to do the same before i start university in september too and my mother has found this died you do for a week on netmums and we have been following it for the last week and i have lost 7 pounds and my mother 9 this week. you can only do it for a week at a time so we are doing it every second week. i hope this helps you as much as its helped us.

http://goo.gl/R9fCr
That looks seriously depressing and unnecessary. Just cut down a bit, there's no need to starve.
myblueheaven339
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
That looks seriously depressing and unnecessary. Just cut down a bit, there's no need to starve.
I agree! Though grilled tomatoes on roast sounds yummy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You could do more exericse and increase calorie expenditure. The theory goes that you will lose weight. But there are other factors at stake such as how much fat your body is unwilling to drop despite the additional exercise. Everyone has a certain number of fat cells, and some fat cells can increase through age, through increases in stress (exercises is a type of stress) and cortisol, and through insulin insensitivity. You don't want to be exercising any more than 45 minutes each day. Go over that and you risk exercise stress and increases in cortisol. If you have a busy lifestyle and go to a stressul job each day you have to watch how you do it even more. Like others have said: it is about training smarter not harder.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Speedy weight loss is the last thing you want if you want the weight to stay off.

If you maintain a calorie deficit to lose approx. 1/2lbs per week then you could easily lose 15-20lbs by the time you go back to uni.
JoFr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you reach the a certain point, the inches will be more important that the pounds lost. So if you ever think you have stopped losing weight or your numbers aren't that good, try taking measurements of your chest, stomach, thighs, etc.
nopenopenope
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vixen47)
Speedy weight loss is the last thing you want if you want the weight to stay off.
(Original post by JoFr)
When you reach the a certain point, the inches will be more important that the pounds lost. So if you ever think you have stopped losing weight or your numbers aren't that good, try taking measurements of your chest, stomach, thighs, etc.
[citation needed]
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, more exercise will obviously help as you're expending more calories but you also need to consider your diet. I have a friend who's started going to the gym but he still eats junk food and guess what? He's still gaining weight.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (16)
18.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (36)
41.38%
Nope, not that interesting (35)
40.23%

Watched Threads