MSc courses. What if not accredited externally? Watch

little pixie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
If contemplating undertaking an MSc course in the UK, how important do you think it is that the course is accredited by an external body?

Do you think it's something future employers would take note of?

Or is lack of accreditation something that should not give prospective students concern?

Thanks!
Charlotte-xoxo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by little pixie)
If contemplating undertaking an MSc course in the UK, how important do you think it is that the course is accredited by an external body?

Do you think it's something future employers would take note of?

Or is lack of accreditation something that should not give prospective students concern?

Thanks!
Accreditation is really important. If a course is not accredited, employers have no proof that you have reached an adequate level of education to do the job, because the course content has no external regulation. Many would probably hesitate to employ you if your degree is not accredited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
little pixie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte-xoxo)
Accreditation is really important. If a course is not accredited, employers have no proof that you have reached an adequate level of education to do the job, because the course content has no external regulation. Many would probably hesitate to employ you if your degree is not accredited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you Charlotte.

I wonder does this also apply if the course in question is not for a specific occupation? That is, in the way that having a BEng which is accredited by an external body is important if wanting to later work in Engineering.

For example, Physics BSc courses can be accredited by the Institute of Physics, but I don't think they accredit any MSc courses.

Or as another example, Mathematical Modelling MSc courses are often not accredited.

Perhaps accreditation of an MSc is only important for Engineering or Computer Science MSc's?
Charlotte-xoxo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by little pixie)
Thank you Charlotte.

I wonder does this also apply if the course in question is not for a specific occupation? That is, in the way that having a BEng which is accredited by an external body is important if wanting to later work in Engineering.

For example, Physics BSc courses can be accredited by the Institute of Physics, but I don't think they accredit any MSc courses.

Or as another example, Mathematical Modelling MSc courses are often not accredited.

Perhaps accreditation of an MSc is only important for Engineering or Computer Science MSc's?
I can't speak for all subjects but I study Physics. Both BSc and MSc can be accredited by the IoP, and almost every employer I've looked into requires an accredited course. I guess that you just need to do your research for the subject you want to apply for.
little pixie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte-xoxo)
I can't speak for all subjects but I study Physics. Both BSc and MSc can be accredited by the IoP
I had a look at the Physics degrees accredited by the IoP here:
http://www.iop.org/education/higher_...file_38818.pdf

I can only locate BSc, MSci and MPhys which they accredit. With the MSci and MPhys being the integrated 4-year courses.

I can't seem to locate any 1-year MSc courses shown there.

So if they previously accredited MSc courses, it would appear that they now only accredit undergraduate programmes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%