My boyfriend still has his Facebook status as "single" and I feel a bit bothered Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been with my boyfriend for 4 months now. In the first month, it was quite whirlwind and we weren't sure where it was going so didn't label it for a while. During that time, I'd had my relationship status on Facebook saying "single", but I didn't want to be announcing online "it's complicated" or writing "in a relationship" when I wasn't sure yet, so I decided to just hide my relationship status completely so that no one could see it. Then when we finally agreed to start calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend, I just decided to leave my status private as I still wasn't bothered to announce my romantic going-ons to everyone on Facebook.

My boyfriend has a similar idea, except that he has always kept his status saying "single". I've questioned him about it a few times and he says he can't be bothered to change it, and that he doesn't really take Facebook that seriously. He also says that i shouldn't worry about girls looking at his profile and chatting him up as that never happens. Fair enough that I don't really mind us not writing the whole "X is in a relationship with Y" on Facebook, as everyone who needs to know about our relationship already knows from me or him telling them, and random acquaintances on Facebook need not pry. But I just can't help disliking that he's written that he's single when it's untrue and feels a bit dismissive of me. I'd rather he'd just hide his relationship status like I have mine.

Then again, he does have other stuff on his profile that's untrue and just written as a joke, like a fake surname, fake place of birth, fake birthday, fake job and fake university. And he is a good boyfriend to me and treats me well, so maybe I should stop being bothered about something so minor like stuff he puts online, and just take it with a pinch of salt? After all, I guess it's what happens offline in life that's more important? Maybe I have already answered my own question lol, but I felt like writing my thoughts down anyway. Anyone with advice?
TheReckless
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Take your own advice here.
Maybe you should stop being so bothered about something so insignificant and minor and concentrate on the relationship itself.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Facebook is not real.
Facebook is not a place for anything meaningful.
Facebook is irrelevant to real life.

Just enjoy what you have.
spiral87
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My mate has a baby and a house with his girlfriend. His Facebook still says 'Single'. Some people just do not give a **** about Facebook.

I think for something so insignificant though, which bothers you so much, he should change it.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe he just doesn't give a toss about facebook.
bembem
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe hes ashamed to admit you are his girlfriend?
chickenonsteroids
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bembem)
Yes. Making your relationship visible on facebook is the only thing that makes it genuine.

You can collect your prize tomorrow.
Chocolatesoup
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it bothers you that much then try sending him a relationship request and see if he accepts it? It could be he really doesn't bother about fb, but this seems to be more about trust, do you think he's kept it single cos he wants to appear single? Do you really think he's that type of person who's playing around? Only you can tell that. You can either know from who he is that it's really a case of him not being bothered about fb, or something's wrong. I'm sure it's the former though!
Sphodromantis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe you whining about Facebook makes him ashamed on you. Sounds like you need! Jeremy Kyle!
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why should it matter? It's only a website.
bembem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chickenonsteroids)
Yes. Making your relationship visible on facebook is the only thing that makes it genuine.

You can collect your prize tomorrow.
I'm just telling it how it is.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bembem)
Let's say I'd never put on fb that I'm in a relationship, unless I were married (Asian) Just because you don't put it on fb, doesn't mean that you're not serious
Zubby77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You place far too much importance on Facebook
Cheech23
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
**** Facebook!
joker12345
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think it's about being obsessed with Facebook or anything - fact is, lots of people use it and might see her boyfriend's status, and really, it's not that much effort to hide your relationship. It's not even like she's asking him to post that he's in a relationship so no one can really 'pry' anyway.
Honestly, just tell him it bothers you a little and would he mind hiding it. I doubt he'd get upset.
joker12345
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by de_monies)
Let's say I'd never put on fb that I'm in a relationship, unless I were married (Asian) Just because you don't put it on fb, doesn't mean that you're not serious
Fair though, but why list yourself as single? Surely it's better to just not keep a relationship status at all?
This Honest
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a website dear, don't fret.
There is an option to hide the status which I do :yes:
lizlaz350
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it really bothers you then tell him that and ask him to either change it or hide it completely.

I don't think my relationship was 'facebook official' until like 5 months in. I kept mine hidden for a while because I wasn't sure what was happening and then I changed it to 'in a relationship' and he kept his hidden for ages. I don't think it matters really but then if he knows how much it bothers you, I'm sure he won't mind changing it for you.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by joker12345)
Fair though, but why list yourself as single? Surely it's better to just not keep a relationship status at all?
Hmm I didn't actually think of that. That's a fair point but then surely if you update it back to "single" if you broke up it'd show up in news feeds that you were single and therefore in a relationship for quite some time....

And at the end of the day its only Facebook....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by de_monies)
This. Although I'm listed as in a relationship on facebook I haven't named my boyfriend, not because I'm ashamed of him - far from it, it's because I'm very careful about what I share on facebook now because of a lot of trouble that was caused for me a few years ago due to a nosey, interfering person. I see it as a bit pointless to after all my friends and family all know about him anyway.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads