Is their a CLASS issue with me and my boyfriend Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
well, me and my boyfriend have been going out for about 7 months now but weve known eachother for 3 years.
And this issue has really made me feel ashamed of myself.
Im from a very....middle-upper class family. my family were originally working class but they worked their way up to where we are now and im expected to be very....polite, well spoken and all the rest really. im still very proud of my parents though.
My boyfriend is from a working class family, and i get the feeling that he really hates it.

The problem is; he is a family orientated guy, and ive had a very abusive and stiff upper lip up bringing so i dont really like my family. And my boyfriend depserately wants me to like his family but when i go over and his house smells of his dogs, and weed. I cant help but feel awkward...
his brothers and sisters are....real brats who have xbox, playstations, tv's in all of their rooms and still demand more from their parents who spoil them.
I mean, if i talked to my parents the way his siblings do, i'd get hit around the face or grounded for a month (My dads in the military lol) Their 3 dogs go untreated and jump up violently, bark constantly and lick my face all the time, i'm pretty sure they have worms.. And i have two dogs myself.
The smell in the house is unbearable and their strong accents and their rude questions make it really difficult to communicate. They make fun of me saying things like; "eeurgh your posh aint ya?!"
I get the impression that my boyfriend is embarrassed by his household but he still loves them and wants me to aswell.
But the clutter, the smell, the loud dogs, the bratty kids, and the rude parents just really is making it impossible for me to relate to them, its a teeny tiny house and when im there i dont get a second alone with my boyfriend. Im really trying but when i try to play games with the kids, when they get a question wrong, they get violent and scream and kick about.
Please help, i love my boyfriend to pieces, and he hates the situation were in. What can i do to relate to his family?
J_W-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
well, me and my boyfriend have been going out for about 7 months now but weve known eachother for 3 years.
And this issue has really made me feel ashamed of myself.
Im from a very....middle-upper class family. my family were originally working class but they worked their way up to where we are now and im expected to be very....polite, well spoken and all the rest really. im still very proud of my parents though.
My boyfriend is from a working class family, and i get the feeling that he really hates it.

The problem is; he is a family orientated guy, and ive had a very abusive and stiff upper lip up bringing so i dont really like my family. And my boyfriend depserately wants me to like his family but when i go over and his house smells of his dogs, and weed. I cant help but feel awkward...
his brothers and sisters are....real brats who have xbox, playstations, tv's in all of their rooms and still demand more from their parents who spoil them.
I mean, if i talked to my parents the way his siblings do, i'd get hit around the face or grounded for a month (My dads in the military lol) Their 3 dogs go untreated and jump up violently, bark constantly and lick my face all the time, i'm pretty sure they have worms.. And i have two dogs myself.
The smell in the house is unbearable and their strong accents and their rude questions make it really difficult to communicate. They make fun of me saying things like; "eeurgh your posh aint ya?!"
I get the impression that my boyfriend is embarrassed by his household but he still loves them and wants me to aswell.
But the clutter, the smell, the loud dogs, the bratty kids, and the rude parents just really is making it impossible for me to relate to them, its a teeny tiny house and when im there i dont get a second alone with my boyfriend. Im really trying but when i try to play games with the kids, when they get a question wrong, they get violent and scream and kick about.
Please help, i love my boyfriend to pieces, and he hates the situation were in. What can i do to relate to his family?
Just sounds like a culture clash. Seriously, if you give it time they're probably the most chilled out people you'll meet and that's probably some kind of 'banter' by calling you posh.
I doubt they actually have a problem with you
LordBradburn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
there*
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
*Is there

It does sound like a class issue, or rather a culture clash, as mentioned by the poster above. Surely you don't have to need to relate to his family to be with your boyfriend, do you? You say you love him, so don't let a clash with his family ruin things for you. Maybe just keep out of his family's way?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.3%
No - I got the required grades (115)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.62%

Watched Threads