Turn on thread page Beta

Does this really annoy any of you girls? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im sick of my dad calling me a ***** (if blanked out it begins with B). I dont mind any other words as much but theres just something about it that annoys me/is really degrading. Im 28, female never had a boyfriend but he just puts me off men more and more. Honestly other words are bad but that particuar one just annoys the hell out of me probably cause its gender specific or something I don't know. I dont speak to him because of how he his so dont get to answer him back.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what way he means it. My Dad calls me it all the time in a jokey way and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I can think of much worse things he could call me that would offend me.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been called that by my father; I'd most definitely hate it and get very annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that. If my Dad were to ever call me that, I really wouldn't know how to take that really because that term is just extremely derogatory, misogynistic, hurtful and negative - especially when used by a family member. It's much worse than just 'annoying' and really shouldn't be used on a family member in any circumstance. Talk to him about it and tell him how much that is affecting you. I'm sure any father would at least try to understand.

ReputationRep:
    Does he put on some sort of gangsta accent when he does it? I only say it in jest to my female friends, also call my male friends *******s - but if you add a funny accent then they know it's not meant in a hurtful way.

Still must be pretty nasty coming from your dad though, just ask him to stop?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry about that
    By how you tell it, it seems like he means it in a negative way.

Sorry if this might be a bit nosey, but does he have a particular problem against you?

I know someone whose father bullied him for years until there was nothing left but hatred and ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    That's really bad. I have never, ever been called that by my dad (or anyone, for that matter). Not even in a "jokey" way, if there even is such a thing. If my parents used that sort of language, I'd lose all respect for them.
    Just keep your father out of your life. He is not most men so you shouldn't make an example out of him.

ReputationRep:
    My dad has never and would never call me anything like that.
    Most men (or so i like to think!) are not like your father.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of dad calls their daughter a *****, i can get it being in a joking way but are you serious. I really feel for you in this situation seeing as my dad has never called me any bad names and i would be distraught if he did. Keep him at arms length tbh because the relationship you two seem to have may not be healthy

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's harsh, my dad has never called me anything like that. If we argue he just stop talking to me for a while and then eventually after a couple of days he would start talking to me again but calling you the b word is very degrading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighgiles)
    I'm sorry about that
    By how you tell it, it seems like he means it in a negative way.

Sorry if this might be a bit nosey, but does he have a particular problem against you?

I know someone whose father bullied him for years until there was nothing left but hatred and ignorance.
    yes Ive not spoken to him and have ignored him for years but the reason is because he is like this.

ReputationRep:
    If my dad called me a ***** there would be a serious fight in my house! I couldn't ever imagine him saying something like that to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry your dad calls you that often I can understand why it'd hurt, and why you'd be so annoyed by it.
    My dad has called me a ***** only once or twice. It doesn't have the exact same emotional value to us because we're both native dutch speakers, but it really hurt me at the time regardless. Especially because he never apologised. I've let it go now. It was said in a moment of anger, and to be honest we have so many fights that it kind of fits into the pattern. It was kind of my fault too I love my dad anyway, and I know he loves me, we're just going through a hard time. I think it'll all cool down when I leave the house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajvir)
    Wow that's harsh, my dad has never called me anything like that. If we argue he just stop talking to me for a while and then eventually after a couple of days he would start talking to me again but calling you the b word is very degrading.
    Hmm yeah like that's normal...

ReputationRep:
    Tell him your Mum's told you he's got a small willy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    Hmm yeah like that's normal...
    Well I guess it's better than him hitting me or swearing at me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Tell him your Mum's told you he's got a small willy.
    nah, he likes playing on ps3 all night using the internet and im thinking of a way to make it look like the internet has cut off, he gets ps3 withdrawal! I could unplug the wire from the wifi box but my mum will figure it out and plug it back in so I need another way to disable his connection without him suspecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissRammstein23)
    If my dad called me a ***** there would be a serious fight in my house! I couldn't ever imagine him saying something like that to me.
    what would you do? I felt like fighting him as he just keeps saying it and thinks he can get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    what would you do? I felt like fighting him as he just keeps saying it and thinks he can get away with it.
    LOL what? Please don't make the situation any worse for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    LOL what? Please don't make the situation any worse for yourself.
    but why should he get away with it? Ive taken the 'forgive and forget' and soft softy approach all my life with people and you dont get respected.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2018
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.