The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by orange.bananna
I don't think work experience has to be done in the UK, I'm not 100% sure though.You can definitely write about work experience you've done in Iran and Hungary on your personal statement though. Are you an international or EU student?

Yes, I'm an international student.
Original post by saeidj
Yes, I'm an international student.

If you're an international student I would imagine that your work experience wouldn't have to be in the UK, but I'm not 100% sure. Send e-mails to the dental schools you're thinking of applying to if you want to make sure though :smile:
Anyone finding it really difficult to get through to dentists nowadays? I live in a small town in North Wales and have roughly 8 dentists within a couple of miles, but there's about 15 in the area. I have applied to roughly 10 dentists in my area and the local hospital so far and have been at the receiving end of so many excuses.

1) Sorry, we don't do work experience, it costs us too much in insurance.
2) We're changing management and our new manager doesn't want any kids in, thanks.
3) Sorry, we have got someone in already (this was the reply to all the places I asked for July)
4) Yeah, we do work experience, and there's no one in this August, but I'll talk to the dentist for you and ring back. (To which I never get a reply despite ringing back 3-4 times)

Now this is getting incredibly tedious, as I've tried all varieties of dentists, NHS, Private, Orthodontics and the hospital and it takes weeks to even months to finally get some form of reply, despite regular reminders. I have about 3-5 I can apply to left and get lifts to. How can I get these dentists to just tell me straight yes or no without all this hassle, and if I can't get my second week of experience (had one wk with my dentist a while ago, but moved roughly 20 miles away from this dentist and can no longer get there every day) how do I explain this to a uni? Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AmyAintDead
Anyone finding it really difficult to get through to dentists nowadays? I live in a small town in North Wales and have roughly 8 dentists within a couple of miles, but there's about 15 in the area. I have applied to roughly 10 dentists in my area and the local hospital so far and have been at the receiving end of so many excuses.

1) Sorry, we don't do work experience, it costs us too much in insurance.
2) We're changing management and our new manager doesn't want any kids in, thanks.
3) Sorry, we have got someone in already (this was the reply to all the places I asked for July)
4) Yeah, we do work experience, and there's no one in this August, but I'll talk to the dentist for you and ring back. (To which I never get a reply despite ringing back 3-4 times)

Now this is getting incredibly tedious, as I've tried all varieties of dentists, NHS, Private, Orthodontics and the hospital and it takes weeks to even months to finally get some form of reply, despite regular reminders. I have about 3-5 I can apply to left and get lifts to. How can I get these dentists to just tell me straight yes or no without all this hassle, and if I can't get my second week of experience (had one wk with my dentist a while ago, but moved roughly 20 miles away from this dentist and can no longer get there every day) how do I explain this to a uni? Thanks!

When you ask for work experience do you just drop a letter off or ring up? Try going into the practice and speaking to the practice manager or one of the dentists - at least that way you'll get an answer straight away as to whether they do work experience!

As you've moved, have you changed dentist? If you have, you could see if your new dentist will let you shadow them?
When you ask for work experience do you just drop a letter off or ring up? Try going into the practice and speaking to the practice manager or one of the dentists - at least that way you'll get an answer straight away as to whether they do work experience!

As you've moved, have you changed dentist? If you have, you could see if your new dentist will let you shadow them?

I've visited the few within walking distance, and have rang and sent letters to those further afield as I can rarely get lifts and my parents can be iffy about me catching the bus. So, I have given everything a go.
And; our dentist was so efficient and reliable we decided to stick with our old dentist!
Original post by AmyAintDead
I've visited the few within walking distance, and have rang and sent letters to those further afield as I can rarely get lifts and my parents can be iffy about me catching the bus. So, I have given everything a go.
And; our dentist was so efficient and reliable we decided to stick with our old dentist!

Could you find a way of going into the dental practices that you've rang and wrote letters to? At least that way you should get an answer straight away as to whether you can do work experience there!
Could you find a way of going into the dental practices that you've rang and wrote letters to? At least that way you should get an answer straight away as to whether you can do work experience there!

That is a fair point. I have one dentist that I am waiting for, so may pop in and ask one last time about it, and finally get an answer. Could walk a little further to one a couple of miles out... Thanks for the input!
Reply 27
The IDH has work experience scheme. You can apply online http://dentalworkexperience.co.uk
Reply 28
I've just done my GCSEs and my dentist very kindly agreed to have me shadow him for a few days before I go back to school, and said I can come back whenever it's suitable. It's a private dentist though and I was just wondering if universities tend to prefer more experience in an NHS practice? I know i need variation of experience and will try to get some in an NHS practice, but would it matter if I'd done more at a private practice than NHS? thanks !
Original post by i9l7f
I've just done my GCSEs and my dentist very kindly agreed to have me shadow him for a few days before I go back to school, and said I can come back whenever it's suitable. It's a private dentist though and I was just wondering if universities tend to prefer more experience in an NHS practice? I know i need variation of experience and will try to get some in an NHS practice, but would it matter if I'd done more at a private practice than NHS? thanks !

As long as you do some in an NHS practice as well, doing work experience in a private practice is fine - I don't think it would matter if you had done more in a private practice just try and get a week or two in an NHS practice :smile:
Reply 30
When is the best time to start taking work experience. I'm a 16 year old who's just started sixth form. Should I start making calls now or wait for the summer holidays?
Reply 31
Would the 2 weeks experience mean just 14 days? I'm getting some experience, but I can only do 3 hours at a time... So would I need to do around a month, or would 3 hours a day for 14 be ok?
Reply 32
Original post by argonian
Would the 2 weeks experience mean just 14 days? I'm getting some experience, but I can only do 3 hours at a time... So would I need to do around a month, or would 3 hours a day for 14 be ok?

That sounds fine, just make sure you specify doing 3 hours a day for 2 weeks in your personal statement!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I'm applying to kings, Queens/Barts and Bristol. Am I right in thinking there's no set amount of w/e I need to do? Should I still get 1/2 weeks anyway?
Original post by argonian
I'm applying to kings, Queens/Barts and Bristol. Am I right in thinking there's no set amount of w/e I need to do? Should I still get 1/2 weeks anyway?

I'm not sure what the policies are of those universities. But doing 1 or 2 weeks work experience will definitely benefit you even if it isn't an entry requirement :smile:
Right I know this isn't WE and it is probably too late for 2014 applicants BUT

Futurelearn & Sheffield Uni have a free online course called "discover dentistry" running from March next year for 6 weeks:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/discover-dentistry

My guess is that 99% of 2015 applicants will end up taking this course and talking about it in their PSs so it isn't likely to give any "advantage" as such - but then given that it's free I'd also think not taking it could well put applicants next year at a bit of a disadvantage :frown:
Reply 36
Probably the wrong place to post this but does anyone know if there's a required / preferred amount of experience for Bristol, Kings or Queens Belfast? I know queen Mary said they don't mind...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by qwertyuiop9
Hello people,

I was wondering where people have managed to find work experience for dentistry as everywhere I have asked do not seem to offer it.

Thanks

I don't know where you are from, but I know a terrific practice in Hull. See: http://www.brandsbyhousepractice.co.uk

They always seem to have work experience guys in so it is worth a try. How do I know? It is my densist! :smile:

Obviously it is a long shot that you are from the area, but definitely worth a mention just in case!!

Cheers
Will
Reply 38
Hey does anyone know if, for dentistry at glasgow, 2 weeks work shadowing is the absolute maximum or is it ok to have more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Lot's of work experience there but to be honest you'd be better off getting more dentally relevant stuff, 3 weeks in a GDP is good but try and get some in specialties (orthodontics, paediatric dentistry, oral+maxillofacial surgery) etc. Doubt they're going to be interested in your work experience in law/accounting/pharmacy so there wouldn't be much point putting it down on your statement