The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
I had an interview at Manchester for Chemistry last Thursday (7th) which I think went OK, although the interviewer talked for 80% of the time. However, I haven't heard back from them, but other people who have applied to Manchester from my school (to other courses, Chem Eng and Maths) had offers within 24 hours. Is this normal? I was told in the interview that 'we want you to get three As at A Level'. I thought at the time that this was a hint at an offer, but I'm now having second thoughts. Has anyone else heard from Manchester?
Original post by ps321
I had an interview at Manchester for Chemistry last Thursday (7th) which I think went OK, although the interviewer talked for 80% of the time. However, I haven't heard back from them, but other people who have applied to Manchester from my school (to other courses, Chem Eng and Maths) had offers within 24 hours. Is this normal? I was told in the interview that 'we want you to get three As at A Level'. I thought at the time that this was a hint at an offer, but I'm now having second thoughts. Has anyone else heard from Manchester?

Should be fine. If you're invited to an interview you're pretty much guaranteed an offer. Mine came like 1-2 weeks later after the interview last year. If you do get 3As you wouldn't be going to Manchester haha.
Original post by Fullycorporate
Well I know that the course isn't accredited... but I really like King's. What's so bad about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like you say the course isnt accredited. It's really important for the course to be accredited if you want to work as q chemist or any related fields in chemistry.

If you use the search function there's a few informative posts qbout the course. Basically you're in a small class qbout 30 and you get taught in a class room rather than a lecture theatre.

Living in London is very costly and imo kings chemistry course is not worth you spending that much money when there are better chemistry departments that offer a accredited course in the country
Reply 503
Original post by Nitrogen
Should be fine. If you're invited to an interview you're pretty much guaranteed an offer. Mine came like 1-2 weeks later after the interview last year. If you do get 3As you wouldn't be going to Manchester haha.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know about your last comment though - I have no other 3A offers (my other three current offers are AAB,AAB,ABB) and if I get an offer from Oxford (probably won't) I might well put Manchester as insurance. If I don't get an offer from Oxford I will put Manchester as first choice (if I get an offer from Manchester). How can it be that if you are invited to an interview you are 'pretty much guaranteed to get an offer'? There were 40 people there on my interview day and they have them every week for 3-4 months. They can't make all those people an offer!
Hi guys! I will have an interview in UCL soon and I'm so nervous about it! Anyone applied to UCL too?
Reply 505
Original post by secretdreamerxx
Hi guys! I will have an interview in UCL soon and I'm so nervous about it! Anyone applied to UCL too?

Omg well done! When did you apply? With what as and predicted grades? I applied over 3 weeks ago and they still havent acknowledged me :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps321
Thanks for the reply. I don't know about your last comment though - I have no other 3A offers (my other three current offers are AAB,AAB,ABB) and if I get an offer from Oxford (probably won't) I might well put Manchester as insurance. If I don't get an offer from Oxford I will put Manchester as first choice (if I get an offer from Manchester). How can it be that if you are invited to an interview you are 'pretty much guaranteed to get an offer'? There were 40 people there on my interview day and they have them every week for 3-4 months. They can't make all those people an offer!

Universities make so so many more offers than there are places, they have to consider the fact that some may not achieve their offer and the more common reason that the applicant may have another university in mind or have the potential to get in to a better university.
Reply 507
Original post by Gotzz
Oh wow, well best of luck.
I guess so, I will learn some if I have the time!

I called Oxford today and they said that if I get an interview, they can arrange for me to have a skype interview if I can't go :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by secretdreamerxx

If you look back a few pages, someone had their interview a few days ago, and I had my interview on the 5th :smile:

Original post by keelahla
Omg well done! When did you apply? With what as and predicted grades? I applied over 3 weeks ago and they still havent acknowledged me :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't you apply on the 4th???...that's less than two weeks ago :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Just got an offer from Bath! AAB :biggrin:
Original post by theCreator
If you look back a few pages, someone had their interview a few days ago, and I had my interview on the 5th :smile:

Any organic stuff in your UCL interview? :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by caz_za
I've seen some other subjects start discussions, so i thought it would be useful if there was one for us 'chemists' :wink:

Whether you are going to/ have/currently study/ed/ing chemistry, feel free to give any useful tips and advice for future applicants here! :biggrin:

I'm currently studying Chemistry,Maths,Biology and History (hopefully dropping history)
I want to apply to study MChem/MSci at Southampton,Bath,Bristol,Nottingham and (yet to decide on 5th choice).

Any opinions from current chemistry students would be brilliant!

Thank you all!

Be sure to check out the Chemistry applicants 2014 wiki too!!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Chemistry_Applicants_2014

I want to do chemistry with a year in industry yay
Sent my UCAS off yesterday and got an invitation for an interview at York today:biggrin:
I've applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, York and Keele
Original post by RoseBrilliante
I want to do chemistry with a year in industry yay
Sent my UCAS off yesterday and got an invitation for an interview at York today:biggrin:
I've applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, York and Keele

Hey! :biggrin: Those are great choices. What date is your interview?
Original post by ethery
Hey! :biggrin: Those are great choices. What date is your interview?

Either the 16th December or the 6th January, probably going to go for the January one. Excited, but nervous because I've never had an interview for anything before, but on the e-mail they told me that I was guaranteed an offer after my interview anyway :closedeyes:
Either the 16th December or the 6th January, probably going to go for the January one. Excited, but nervous because I've never had an interview for anything before, but on the e-mail they told me that I was guaranteed an offer after my interview anyway :closedeyes:

Ah, I see. Mine's on the 10th. :smile: Same! The closest thing I've ever done was my interview for work experience, but that was only at a primary school, so it was very informal :tongue:
Original post by ethery
Ah, I see. Mine's on the 10th. :smile: Same! The closest thing I've ever done was my interview for work experience, but that was only at a primary school, so it was very informal :tongue:

Yeah, I've never been interviewed, not even for any work experience :/ Guess I had it easy up till now ey
I hope it's not too formal, but then again, I have friends who have interviews for medicine and they're even reading books on medical interviews! Mad stuff
Reply 516

It's true the time just seems to be a lot longer :frown: Most of my friends were acknowledged the same or next day although maybe different departments take different times :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I've never been interviewed, not even for any work experience :/ Guess I had it easy up till now ey
I hope it's not too formal, but then again, I have friends who have interviews for medicine and they're even reading books on medical interviews! Mad stuff

I wouldn't worry about it! If you read back a few pages quite a few people have had York invterviews and said they were very relaxed and informal. Since the offer is guaranteed anyway it's not like you need to prove yourself to them! :biggrin:
Original post by ethery
I wouldn't worry about it! If you read back a few pages quite a few people have had York invterviews and said they were very relaxed and informal. Since the offer is guaranteed anyway it's not like you need to prove yourself to them! :biggrin:

Well, that *is* good to hear, guess they just want to see what I'm like haha :smile:
x

yo man, u know wat ur offer is yet?

btw when did ucl let u know u had an offer? i know u got a letter but did u get email+portico update?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending