The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nitrogen
Haha well that is impressive. Im not really interested in being a chemist after the degree, so the uni brand name is quite important for me too. I'd personally go to Imperial, but UCL is great too.

Exactly! I'm happy at either; London just oozes with internships and connections with big companies can be formed. Then there's Oxford.... :biggrin:
Original post by Coral Reafs
have u heard back from UCL??

I got in btw :P

Hey, congrats :biggrin: I haven't heard from them yet and I doubt I will until after christmas :frown: Will you be firming UCL?
Original post by Roarmaster
Exactly! I'm happy at either; London just oozes with internships and connections with big companies can be formed. Then there's Oxford.... :biggrin:

Yh London is great :P Imperial has a fab location too haha. Oxford is great for chemistry, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about it.
Hey, congrats :biggrin: I haven't heard from them yet and I doubt I will until after christmas :frown: Will you be firming UCL?

gonna wait it out and see if Imperial has something to say in my favour. Then I'll see what happens.

Any other offers with you so far??
gonna wait it out and see if Imperial has something to say in my favour. Then I'll see what happens.

Any other offers with you so far??

Oh thats great. When is your interview?

I have offers from Manchester, Bristol and an unconditional for sheffield atm. How about you?

Yh London is great :P Imperial has a fab location too haha. Oxford is great for chemistry, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about it.

Horror stories like what??
Horror stories like what??

It has the highest dropout rate in Oxford and I've seen quite a few threads about people dropping out from oxford chem at TSR. There was one recently, so I suppose you can have look at them.
Oh thats great. When is your interview?

I have offers from Manchester, Bristol and an unconditional for sheffield atm. How about you?

I got unconditionals from UCL and Kings so far. Bristol is on the 11th Feb for me. York haven't even replied to me yet...even though I've exceeded their maximum by quite a margin.

Roarmaster

Yeh I've also seen the threads about the Oxford chemist dropping out, apparently they had 4 very strong A* grades in maths bio chem and geog (iirc), but they absolutely CANNOT cope with the workload and DO NOT understand jack ****.

They also mentioned not having any free time and having to work literally around the clock and even then it hasn't gotten to the point where they can understand the material.

Oxford has a very rigorous course, even ppl with 4A* struggle to tank it out.
I got unconditionals from UCL and Kings so far. Bristol is on the 11th Feb for me. York haven't even replied to me yet...even though I've exceeded their maximum by quite a margin.

Yeh I've also seen the threads about the Oxford chemist dropping out, apparently they had 4 very strong A* grades in maths bio chem and geog (iirc), but they absolutely CANNOT cope with the workload and DO NOT understand jack ****.

They also mentioned not having any free time and having to work literally around the clock and even then it hasn't gotten to the point where they can understand the material.

Link please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
It has the highest dropout rate in Oxford and I've seen quite a few threads about people dropping out from oxford chem at TSR. There was one recently, so I suppose you can have look at them.

Doesn't sound good! :/

Damn! May need to reconsider then!!
Damn! May need to reconsider then!!

if you are not interested in Chemistry after a BSc or MSc, then you will (probably) lose motivation after a few years, and especially at a vicious university in terms of course content, teaching pace and examinations such as Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham etc will wear you out heavily.

If you want to go into a job (probably finance?) then you should have applied for Mathematics or Economics, you will enjoy it alot more and will probably get a job in your chosen field much easier

This has scared me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depresses me every time I refresh my emails and still see no signs of Cardiff and Durham's emails :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you are not interested in Chemistry after a BSc or MSc, then you will (probably) lose motivation after a few years, and especially at a vicious university in terms of course content, teaching pace and examinations such as Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham etc will wear you out heavily.

If you want to go into a job (probably finance?) then you should have applied for Mathematics or Economics, you will enjoy it alot more and will probably get a job in your chosen field much easier

I enjoy Chemistry a lot more than Maths/Economics... etc It is my favourite subject and I feel a degree in it will open more doors for me (I can do DBS, Patent Law, Engineering, Finance, Acturial). I like Maths so I will take physical modules and if I go to Imperial I will do Chemistry and Management (allowing me to take Finance modules) whereas if I go to UCL I will do Chemistry with Maths (meaning I can do pure maths modules). So I'm happy with the choice I've made.
Omg i got an imperial offer guys!!! They sent me an email saying so but ucas will have to update so i hope i get an offer of aaa! :d :d so happy
Omg i got an imperial offer guys!!! They sent me an email saying so but ucas will have to update so i hope i get an offer of aaa! :d :d so happy

Congratz!!! I just got an offer from Imperial too! So happy! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by secretdreamerxx
Congratz!!! I just got an offer from Imperial too! So happy! :biggrin:

Are you straight Chem?? Well Done!!
Are you straight Chem?? Well Done!!

Yep! :biggrin: How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

BEASTEDDD :biggrin: NAIISEE :party:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending