The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by CJG21
You'd think so wouldn't you...

Unfortunately, it turns out I can't do chemistry.

I sodding hope I hear back from Durham soon otherwise this is going to be a miserable christmas!

Alright, well you've got other offers. Even if you don't get in, you'll still be studying chemistry at a great university, so cheer up :smile:
Original post by Gotzz
Alright, well you've got other offers. Even if you don't get in, you'll still be studying chemistry at a great university, so cheer up :smile:

I've not got offers from any of my top 3 choices though, and I don't particularly like Bristol or Warwick.

Ah, life.
Reply 1102
Original post by CJG21
I've not got offers from any of my top 3 choices though, and I don't particularly like Bristol or Warwick.

Ah, life.

Warwick is an excellent university for Chemistry, they have great placement opportunities and were ranked the number 1 university targeted by employers in 2013. Wish they'd give me an offer :rolleyes:
And I've heard great things about Bristol, too.
Plus, you've still got two other choices besides Oxford to hear back from!
Original post by Gotzz
I think they were OK. They were definitely very very difficult, but they went better than I expected and better than my mock interviews. I was able to answer a decent amount of questions, and if I wasn't, or if I answered something wrong, I was able to pick up on their hints and get to the right answer.
My first one was on physical and inorganic which I felt went quite well, and at the end they said it was good, though I don't know whether that was because I looked mortified. And someone was watching the interview the whole time, perhaps a PhD student or something, and after I left, she left as well, and she said well done. So that kind of made me feel better.
The second one was on organic and maths, which was harder mainly because I haven't done any A2 organics yet and the woman was going through it all so fast, it was hard to follow. But I think I did fine on the maths.
In the end, 9 out of 27 Keble chemists were sent home without follow up interviews (including me). This 9 must me made up of a few who ranked at the very top and a few at the very bottom. I really don't think I could've been at the very bottom, especially since they take into account your background (first person from my school to apply to Oxbridge, etc).
On the other hand, I don't want to get my hopes up. I guess we'll see in January. Even though all of the decisions will be made by the end of this week :angry:
How did yours go? :biggrin:

I don't think it's a few from the top and a few from the bottom, we were told it was more likely to be like every 3rd candidate following ranking, so that they could ensure the ability was consistent throughout colleges.
This was from one of the colleges where the head of admissions for chemistry is
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1104
Original post by chemistryIH
I don't think it's a few from the top and a few from the bottom, we were told it was more likely to be like every 3rd candidate following ranking, so that they could ensure the ability was consistent throughout colleges.
This was from one of the colleges where the head of admissions for chemistry is

So you're saying every 3rd candidate is sent home? So the 3rd, 6th, 9th and so on?
Original post by Gotzz
So you're saying every 3rd candidate is sent home? So the 3rd, 6th, 9th and so on?

It was a possible way that was suggested to us... we were told to really not read into, as you're not going to be able to work out the system!
Reply 1106
It was a possible way that was suggested to us... we were told to really not read into, as you're not going to be able to work out the system!

Ok :/

If they actually do it like this then it is a very unusual system.

It would make much more sense if they did it the way we initially thought :smile:
Reply 1108
offer from Uni of Manchester and Kings College, London today:biggrin:
Reply 1109
Original post by geor
That sounds like a really odd way of doing it. I thought part of the point of pooling was to ensure strong candidates got interviewed across Oxford as there wasn't "space" at their colleges.

Also, pooling is good for candidates that the colleges are unsure of as well, it would be silly to send them home just because they are third on the list or whatever.

Did he tell you this specifically? Just seems a bit dodgy to me. I think it's true they send candidates around to check ability across the colleges; I wonder if they maybe send the "3rd best" (or something similar) to do that. I remember on Tuesday one guy out of 29 of us got randomly pooled, when everyone else (20 odd) were pooled at 9am on Wednesday morning - thought that was suspicious :tongue:

Anyway.... we'll never know......

We had the exact same thing at Keble! Except it was a girl. She was given the interview before she'd even done her second one :s-smilie:
Reply 1110
Original post by geor
How interesting. I'm sure that must have been a "standardizing" fix (send your Xth best applicant and see how they compare kind of thing) . It makes sense, seeing as they seemed to make decisions of who they were sending home overnight.

Although I don't really know why i'm trying to guess these things :tongue: Quite fun, though.

But it didn't make much sense since she'd only done one interview and they told us they wouldn't rank us until we had done both. And plus, half of the people would've done one interview (inorganic + physical) and half would've done another one (organic + maths) so it'd be a little hard to rank.
Thus I don't think I agree with this theory :tongue:
Reply 1111
Original post by geor
Eh weird. I don't think I agree with the whole 3rd, 6th etc. thing all together. Strange that a tutor said it, though.
If yours told you that they would send the top and bottom few home than I think that's correct at least for your college.

But now I can't remember what they said exactly so I'm starting to doubt myself :frown:
Reply 1112
Original post by geor
There are a few other Keble applicants on here, probably someone can remember :redface:

It does make a whole lot more sense to send the best and worst home and then sort out the rest by giving them further interviews. We will never know though!

I guess we won't. Arghh why do we have to wait so long :mad:
Reply 1113
Original post by RoseBrilliante
Birmingham *is* nice tbf, really loved their chemistry demo which they did when I went to an open day there. I've heard back from Keele (which is going to be my insurance probably), Nottingham and York (got an interview there in Jan but I'm guaranteed an offer so I'm not too worried about that). Actually on my way to my Manchester interview now, my offer rests on this!

Same :smile: I just really liked it :smile: I set my form and insurance on UCAS this afternoon which is a bit scary considering how quickly to whole process has happened! When do you expect to hear back from Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to post again but as anyone had their interview at Birmingham but not heard back...?

...totally freaking out!
Reply 1115
Original post by sophiebk
Sorry to post again but as anyone had their interview at Birmingham but not heard back...?

...totally freaking out!

When was your interview? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChemTom
When was your interview? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 4th 😳😢😔😣
Original post by sophiebk
The 4th 😳😢😔😣

That wasn't long ago at all! I didn't have to have an interview because I went to something at Birmingham during the summer, but even so they took almost 6 weeks to get back to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lizz-ie
That wasn't long ago at all! I didn't have to have an interview because I went to something at Birmingham during the summer, but even so they took almost 6 weeks to get back to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made friends with several people at the interview and they all heard on the Saturday & Friday after the interview (which was on a Wednesday). And we were told we would hear by Monday the 9th.... So that's why I'm worried.
Original post by ChemTom
Same :smile: I just really liked it :smile: I set my form and insurance on UCAS this afternoon which is a bit scary considering how quickly to whole process has happened! When do you expect to hear back from Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that *is* quick! And I heard at the end of my interview that they would be making me an offer of AAA (which is high - I'm pretty sure I will be able to get As for chemistry and biology but whether I'll get an A for maths is questionable) and then I got a feedback e-mail from my interviewer the next day :smile: Did you have any interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending