The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJG21
I plan on going back in time 500 years and becoming an evil alchemist.

Or maybe finance. I haven't decided yet.

I'd pick the alchemist, its much more exciting.
Original post by TheAlchemistt
Whats everyone actually thinking to do as a career after chemistry :biggrin:

Thought of doing research and industry... Not sure yet, it'll depend on whether if I'm good enough to go into research when I get to uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1582
Original post by freshypot♥
I worked in the analytical chemistry department, I worked with GC-MS and HPLC machines (which was really cool because I hadn't actually studied them yet in Chemistry). Got to learn quite a bit about how gas chromatography works!

Also just being in the labs was cool enough!

That's great :biggrin:
Original post by Coral Reafs
I wasn't asked jack on my PS either l0l! :rofl:

so tensed right now man u wudnt believe

Ahh have you finished all your interviews? :biggrin:

How did they all go?
This paragraph from an article in chemistry world make my giggle a bit:

In other words, ‘classifying bonds into “covalent” and “non-covalent” is still something we can teach in high school and early courses at college, since this provides a useful first approximation’. Just don’t believe everything you learn there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bookler_Natsu
This paragraph from an article in chemistry world make my giggle a bit:

In other words, ‘classifying bonds into “covalent” and “non-covalent” is still something we can teach in high school and early courses at college, since this provides a useful first approximation’. Just don’t believe everything you learn there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You spend a lot of first year being told to forget everything you learnt on this topic at A level!
Reply 1586
Hey everyone!!
I'm having a tough time deciding where to firm/insure!!

Has anyone visited the chemistry departments at Bristol/Bath/Nottingham/Southampton/Leicester.

Any opinions & views are welcome :biggrin:D
Original post by caz_za
Hey everyone!!

Has anyone visited the chemistry departments at Bristol/Bath/Nottingham/Southampton/Leicester.

Hi :hi:

I've visited Bath (for Natural Sciences) but I chose to major in chemistry, so I visited their chemistry department. It seemed pretty cool, their labs were good, the chemistry lecturers that I met were nice, and the uni is pretty lovely.

Also visited Southampton, but didn't get to see inside their chemistry building (if I recall correctly, it's quite newly built and all refurbished). Another nice uni!

Personally, as I haven't visited the others, I'd go with either Bath or Southampton!

Hopefully I've helped a tad!
Original post by caz_za
Hey everyone!!

I've visited Nottingham back in their June open day.

It was pretty nice. They had good facilities and their lecturers was very enthusiastic (like all uni lecturers). I think the best bit is that they've got the periodic video's professor pokalioff :smile:

I can't think of anything more to say than that because it was back in June and much of my memory has been deleted since :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i have my interview at bristol tomorrow and wondered if anyone could give me any last minute tips please? :smile:
Original post by rinsehimdown
i have my interview at bristol tomorrow and wondered if anyone could give me any last minute tips please? :smile:

You will either get a really chilled interview (most do!) or someone who will ask you academic questions. If you do get the latter, don't worry if you get asked something you don't know - they will guide you through it. As long as you genuinely try and not just sit there saying 'I don't know' every time the interviewer asks you something, you'll be fine :smile: Good luck!
Original post by InadequateJusticex
You will either get a really chilled interview (most do!) or someone who will ask you academic questions. If you do get the latter, don't worry if you get asked something you don't know - they will guide you through it. As long as you genuinely try and not just sit there saying 'I don't know' every time the interviewer asks you something, you'll be fine :smile: Good luck!

im praying its quite chilled, im hopeless in interview situations! but thankyou so much for your help! :smile:
Original post by rinsehimdown

At the end of the day its more about how you think an approach a problem versus whether you have the necessary knowledge. If you're thrown something you've never seen/heard of before just stay calm and say out loud what you're thinking.

I can't stress the final point enough. Always say everything you're thinking.
Reply 1593
I got a lovely package from Warwick today with loads of info :biggrin:
Original post by Gotzz
I got a lovely package from Warwick today with loads of info :biggrin:

My friend got a Valentine's card from Keele hahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1595
Original post by lizz-ie
My friend got a Valentine's card from Keele hahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awh that's so nice! :biggrin:
I love receiving stuff like this :colondollar:
Reply 1596
If you get invited to UCL for an open day does it mean you are definitely get an offer? Also what sort of thing should I revise for the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1597
Hi there, folks.

I have offers from Lancaster, Nottingham and Glasgow. Still waiting to hear from York and Edinburgh.
Original post by keelahla
If you get invited to UCL for an open day does it mean you are definitely get an offer? Also what sort of thing should I revise for the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

considering how awful my interview was, it probably does mean so!!
Reply 1599
Original post by .snowflake.
considering how awful my interview was, it probably does mean so!!

and you got an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending