Chemistry Applicants 2015 Watch

TheAlchemistt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CJG21)
I plan on going back in time 500 years and becoming an evil alchemist.

Or maybe finance. I haven't decided yet.

I'd pick the alchemist, its much more exciting.
Bookler_Natsu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheAlchemistt)
Whats everyone actually thinking to do as a career after chemistry
Thought of doing research and industry... Not sure yet, it'll depend on whether if I'm good enough to go into research when I get to uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gotzz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by freshypot♥)
I worked in the analytical chemistry department, I worked with GC-MS and HPLC machines (which was really cool because I hadn't actually studied them yet in Chemistry). Got to learn quite a bit about how gas chromatography works!

Also just being in the labs was cool enough!
That's great
username1107833
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Coral Reafs)
I wasn't asked jack on my PS either l0l! :rofl:

so tensed right now man u wudnt believe
Ahh have you finished all your interviews?

How did they all go?
Bookler_Natsu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This paragraph from an article in chemistry world make my giggle a bit:

In other words, ‘classifying bonds into “covalent” and “non-covalent” is still something we can teach in high school and early courses at college, since this provides a useful first approximation’. Just don’t believe everything you learn there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
.snowflake.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bookler_Natsu)
This paragraph from an article in chemistry world make my giggle a bit:

In other words, ‘classifying bonds into “covalent” and “non-covalent” is still something we can teach in high school and early courses at college, since this provides a useful first approximation’. Just don’t believe everything you learn there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You spend a lot of first year being told to forget everything you learnt on this topic at A level!
caz_za
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey everyone!!
I'm having a tough time deciding where to firm/insure!!

Has anyone visited the chemistry departments at Bristol/Bath/Nottingham/Southampton/Leicester.

Any opinions & views are welcome D
freshypot♥
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by caz_za)
Hey everyone!!

Has anyone visited the chemistry departments at Bristol/Bath/Nottingham/Southampton/Leicester.

Hi :hi:

I've visited Bath (for Natural Sciences) but I chose to major in chemistry, so I visited their chemistry department. It seemed pretty cool, their labs were good, the chemistry lecturers that I met were nice, and the uni is pretty lovely.

Also visited Southampton, but didn't get to see inside their chemistry building (if I recall correctly, it's quite newly built and all refurbished). Another nice uni!

Personally, as I haven't visited the others, I'd go with either Bath or Southampton!

Hopefully I've helped a tad!
Bookler_Natsu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by caz_za)
Hey everyone!!

I've visited Nottingham back in their June open day.

It was pretty nice. They had good facilities and their lecturers was very enthusiastic (like all uni lecturers). I think the best bit is that they've got the periodic video's professor pokalioff

I can't think of anything more to say than that because it was back in June and much of my memory has been deleted since

Posted from TSR Mobile
rinsehimdown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i have my interview at bristol tomorrow and wondered if anyone could give me any last minute tips please?
InadequateJusticex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rinsehimdown)
i have my interview at bristol tomorrow and wondered if anyone could give me any last minute tips please?
You will either get a really chilled interview (most do!) or someone who will ask you academic questions. If you do get the latter, don't worry if you get asked something you don't know - they will guide you through it. As long as you genuinely try and not just sit there saying 'I don't know' every time the interviewer asks you something, you'll be fine Good luck!
rinsehimdown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InadequateJusticex)
You will either get a really chilled interview (most do!) or someone who will ask you academic questions. If you do get the latter, don't worry if you get asked something you don't know - they will guide you through it. As long as you genuinely try and not just sit there saying 'I don't know' every time the interviewer asks you something, you'll be fine Good luck!
im praying its quite chilled, im hopeless in interview situations! but thankyou so much for your help!
Ari Ben Canaan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rinsehimdown)
At the end of the day its more about how you think an approach a problem versus whether you have the necessary knowledge. If you're thrown something you've never seen/heard of before just stay calm and say out loud what you're thinking.

I can't stress the final point enough. Always say everything you're thinking.
Gotzz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got a lovely package from Warwick today with loads of info
lizz-ie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gotzz)
I got a lovely package from Warwick today with loads of info
My friend got a Valentine's card from Keele hahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gotzz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lizz-ie)
My friend got a Valentine's card from Keele hahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awh that's so nice!
I love receiving stuff like this
keelahla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you get invited to UCL for an open day does it mean you are definitely get an offer? Also what sort of thing should I revise for the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tim TIC
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there, folks.

I have offers from Lancaster, Nottingham and Glasgow. Still waiting to hear from York and Edinburgh.
.snowflake.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by keelahla)
If you get invited to UCL for an open day does it mean you are definitely get an offer? Also what sort of thing should I revise for the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
considering how awful my interview was, it probably does mean so!!
keelahla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by .snowflake.)
considering how awful my interview was, it probably does mean so!!
and you got an offer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (529)
80.27%
Leave (130)
19.73%

Watched Threads