changing subjects midway through A levels Watch

s06
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,
I am currently doing french, english lit., biology and art for my A levels. I have just finished AS, and the initial plan was to drop art this year and apply for anthropology. I have however, had a change of mind and now want to apply for medicine. I am aware that i need to have chemistry in order to do this. So, my question is would it be reasonable for me to do a one year fast course for chemistry during A2 and apply for medicine as per normal this year? or should i start over and do AS again with chemistry, physics, maths and continue with A2 biology, applying next year?

Also, if i was to go for the second option, would the universities consider it as finishing A levels in three years ?

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Honestly? Your best bet is to drop not just art, but another AS, and carry on with biology and the other A-level, whilst studying chemistry A-level. That way you'll have the A-levels you need, you'll have a minimum of 3 A levels, and you'll have reduced your workload. Be under no illusion, chemistry is a very hard subject to do over two years for A level, let alone condensing it into one single year. You don't need 3 A2s on top of doing a whole A level.
jokosor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chemistry was the subject that killed me off, all I could get was a B and though I didn't give it my 100% I still gave it more than bloody enough. Like Navarre said, don't underestimate it, I would advise you follow his/her/its advice.
Bethanyy94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was in exactly the same situation as you two years ago, what I ended up doing was dropping one of my AS subjects and doing 3 A2s and AS Chemistry in my second year of college. Then I spent a 3rd year at college doing only A2 Chemistry.

I rang up a lot of universities around the time I was applying and with the exception of Oxford they all said it was fine as long as it was made clear in my reference that my 3rd year was nothing to do with having to resit exams and that in my personal statement I had to acknowledge why I had a change of heart.

I know it's an usual way of doing things but it worked out for me, good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1130)
79.02%
Leave (300)
20.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise