Turn on thread page Beta

Minor Criminal Record - Could I Teach? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It is hard to answer really. The chief officer decides if it is relevant to include in a DBS check. I worried about getting flagged for smashing a bottle outside a night club when I was drunk at 18, I paid an £80 fixed penalty notice and was relieved it doesn't show up on checks.

Ultimately though it is down to the schools to decide if anything is flagged. It does seem like being found caught trespassing with a knife is pretty serious though. Both my partner's parents are teachers and they say how squeaky clean you need to be.

Edit: Just saw, not trespassing but in public.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not a chance, you have to apply for ECRB just to get on your placement, you have anything on there, and they'll drop you like a hot rock. It is not as if there is a shortage of teachers either and there are plenty with clear CRBs.

ReputationRep:
    I had a theoretical discussion about this recently. There will be criminal records that wont affect your application but it is very subjective. The main focus should be on whether it could affect the safety of those you are planning to teach. I would suggest that anything relating to violence or fraud would be a no-no but something related to general drunken student shenanigans could be acceptable. A lot would depend on who is making the decisions. It may be worth having a conversation with the person running the course you are interested in. However, you would also need to consider later job applications.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.