Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dav22)
    I've just finished year 12 and so I'm in the process of applying to University. I'm applying for economics and my current choices are:
    1) Durham
    2) St. Andrews
    3) Edinburgh
    4) York
    5) Exeter
    However, my problem is I only really have interest in attending Durham or St. Andrews from my choices and therefore if I wasn't to receive offers from either I would just take a gap year. This basically means my other 3 options are pointless. My problem is the majority of Universities that I'm interested in require A*AA with the A* being in maths - and although I think I'll be able to get predictions of A*AA, I don't think the A* will be in maths.
    Basically, would there be any point in me applying for UCL / Warwick or similar Universities even if it wasn't predicted an A* in maths? I think I may be able to achieve an A* in maths however I really messed the exams up this year and so will have to resit C1 and C2 so won't be able to be predicted an A*. (In case it makes any difference I think my AS grades could be anything from AAAAA to BBBCC).
    Also, any further advice?
    Thanks and sorry it's so long!
    If you're not going to be predicted an A* in Maths but your favourite universities require an A* I say you should go for it. But only your 1-2 absolute favourites, otherwise you could be wasting your options. The worst they can so is no. For the rest choose 2 at your prediction, then 1 below which will be your insurance. Worst comes scenario - you get rejected from your A* universities, you receive an A* on A2 Results day and you try to get into the uni through UCAS Adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dav22)
    But do you really think I'd have a chance of getting an offer from somewhere like UCL if I wasn't predicted the requirements? :confused:
    I'd say you have a small chance, but there's the personal statement which could help and the other parts of your application.

ReputationRep:
    If a Uni says an A* or whatever in a particular subject is essential, that it what they mean. If you don't have a realistic chance of getting that grade (evidence from your AS and your predicted grade), they wont make you an Offer.

If it is merely desirable or preferred the you are still in with a chance.

PS. Go to some Open Days before you make your final choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dav22)
    I've just finished year 12 and so I'm in the process of applying to University. I'm applying for economics and my current choices are:
    1) Durham
    2) St. Andrews
    3) Edinburgh
    4) York
    5) Exeter
    However, my problem is I only really have interest in attending Durham or St. Andrews from my choices and therefore if I wasn't to receive offers from either I would just take a gap year. This basically means my other 3 options are pointless. My problem is the majority of Universities that I'm interested in require A*AA with the A* being in maths - and although I think I'll be able to get predictions of A*AA, I don't think the A* will be in maths.
    Basically, would there be any point in me applying for UCL / Warwick or similar Universities even if it wasn't predicted an A* in maths? I think I may be able to achieve an A* in maths however I really messed the exams up this year and so will have to resit C1 and C2 so won't be able to be predicted an A*. (In case it makes any difference I think my AS grades could be anything from AAAAA to BBBCC).
    Also, any further advice?
    Thanks and sorry it's so long!
    I have a similar problem. I have just finished year 12 and I wish to study geography at university. However, I wish to stay local so therefore the only university I would be happy attending in Swansea as the other universities within commuting distance to do not offer the right course... And my form tutor is telling me that I can't just apply for university but even if I do receive offers from the others I will just decline them as I won't be happy there. Any advice? Anyone else been in a similar situation? If so what did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadinelia11)
    I have a similar problem. I have just finished year 12 and I wish to study geography at university. However, I wish to stay local so therefore the only university I would be happy attending in Swansea as the other universities within commuting distance to do not offer the right course... And my form tutor is telling me that I can't just apply for university but even if I do receive offers from the others I will just decline them as I won't be happy there. Any advice? Anyone else been in a similar situation? If so what did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is your form tutor saying? Is there a word missing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    What is your form tutor saying? Is there a word missing?
    We were talking the other day during form time about plans for the future and I said that I wanted to study geography at Swansea. She then went onto ask if I had any other choice of unis, to which I answered no. She advised me to look at Cardiff which I did but they do not offer just a pure geography course. She basically said that I'd be stupid only applying to uni and that she won't be keen on letting me do so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is risky just applying to one - and I would urge you to go to an Open Day at Swansea before you make that final decision.

What will you do if you get rejected? Do you have a Plan B?
    Having an Insurance choice would at least give you some back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadinelia11)
    We were talking the other day during form time about plans for the future and I said that I wanted to study geography at Swansea. She then went onto ask if I had any other choice of unis, to which I answered no. She advised me to look at Cardiff which I did but they do not offer just a pure geography course. She basically said that I'd be stupid only applying to uni and that she won't be keen on letting me do so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You mean she says you shouldn't apply solely to ONE university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    If a Uni says an A* or whatever in a particular subject is essential, that it what they mean. If you don't have a realistic chance of getting that grade (evidence from your AS and your predicted grade), they wont make you an Offer.

If it is merely desirable or preferred the you are still in with a chance.

PS. Go to some Open Days before you make your final choices.
    Well the requirements are A*AA with A* in maths and I think I've gotten an A or B in AS but probably a B and my teacher will probably predict me an A so would it be near enough pointless applying?

ReputationRep:
    If you have no intention of attending, don't apply. It's pretty simple.
    You could be taking up the place of someone else who really wants to go and it's not exactly fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    It is risky just applying to one - and I would urge you to go to an Open Day at Swansea before you make that final decision.

What will you do if you get rejected? Do you have a Plan B?
    Having an Insurance choice would at least give you some back up.
    Hi.
    I know that it's risky but I would be happy spending three years in another place. I was gonna put South Wales (Glamorgan) as my I insurance but after attending the open day I decided that it really wasn't for me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.