Turn on thread page Beta

Astronomy GCSE watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I've been looking to see whether any of the exam boards provide a GCSE in astronomy and having searched online on multiple occasions i've been informed that Edexcel do one.

To those who have taken the GCSE could you tell me what the course entails and whether you enjoyed it and if you did, what did you enjoy about it most.

Any replies would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendary28)
    Hey all,

I've been looking to see whether any of the exam boards provide a GCSE in astronomy and having searched online on multiple occasions i've been informed that Edexcel do one.

To those who have taken the GCSE could you tell me what the course entails and whether you enjoyed it and if you did, what did you enjoy about it most.

Thanks in advance.

Look at the specification.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu..._Spec_2012.pdf

It tells you what you should learn, just look from page 12 onwards.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I think 25% of it is the controlled assessment. If you are self teaching then you would have to find a means of achieving this if you are to complete the GCSE. There is a distance learning provider specifically for Astronomy who has been cleared to do the controlled assessment. I can't remember the name but I expect Edexcel could tell you.

ReputationRep:
    I took Edexcel GCSE Astronomy in 2011 (I could be wrong but I don't think any of the other boards offer it). As Data says, it is 25% controlled assessment and 75% exam.

The controlled assessment consists of two tasks you can do from a selection - our class did observing the moon and shadow stick. For observing the moon, we had to take pictures of the moon in different phases and explain them etc., for shadow stick, we just stuck a pencil to a piece of A3 paper with blue tack and marked where the shadow was every half hour. It was really quite easy.

The exam was harder - it was two hours and there was quite a lot to know, although I did this while I was in Year 9 and so I had not done any of GCSE Physics. A lot of what was in Astronomy turned up in Physics, so if you have/are doing Physics already, you should find this easier.

A big problem was finding resources to study from. We predominantly used this website, but your school has to have a paid subscription, which since you are searching for a GCSE I assume it does not. I would suggest looking over the specification and just reading around on the topics. There are some revision guides you can get from Amazon, such as this one, but I can tell you now that they are not of the best standard.

I really enjoyed doing this GCSE, mostly just because I enjoyed learning lots of cool stuff about stars. It wasn't too difficult, it was fun and you end up with an extra qualification at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Thanks in advance.

Yep, Edexcel are the ones you want.

I took it in 2012, and I found it to be my favourite exam by far!
    I self-taught it, and largely wasn't too difficult, although the coursework was a little difficult.
    I enjoyed learning about what I loved, may I ask why you wish to take it? I'm taking Astrophysics at university so I find it to be a great aid in making my decision about what to take. :yes:

In fact, if you take it, feel free to use my Astronomy GCSE videos to help you along when learning. I plan to make many more in the summer!

http://www.youtube.com/user/astrolekker

ReputationRep:
    Do we collect our results on the 22nd with the year 11s or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Harold)
    Do we collect our results on the 22nd with the year 11s or not?
    The results are published for everyone on 22 August but you would have to contact your school to discover the arrangements for collecting your results.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Thanks in advance.

I took the GCSE this May, I found it really interesting to learn about compared with all of my other subjects. If you do choose to study the course I highly recommend using http://www.astronomygcse.co.uk/ errm I (well my dad at his office with their beautiful laser printer) printed out all the sheets on the website and I basically studied from them which I found to be virtually everything on the exam. It was run as a self taught subject which we were entered into by our school and we could have some help from one of the physics teachers, school gave us an Astronomy GCSE textbook by Patrick Moore and Chris Lintott which I'm sure has absolutely everything in it but it has a hell of a lot of background info which isn't needed and the layout is far from inspiring...

Personally, I enjoyed the controlled assessment part because I found it really interesting and I learnt so much from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Data)
    The results are published for everyone on 22 August but you would have to contact your school to discover the arrangements for collecting your results.
    Thanks, I will do!

ReputationRep:
    I did my astronomy gcse last year and would recomend using astronomygcse.cf for revision as it has all the past papers and revision powerpoints to use.

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.