Postgraduate admission offer issue Watch

Nottingham2010
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
I have been considered a home student from one of the university for my postgraduation course for the year 2013 - 2014. I was offered a conditional seat (I had to satisfy their IELTS requirement) in the end of April and I firmly accepted the offer. During this time, I was busy with some other work and hence could not satisfy my IELTS requirement. Today the university has sent me a mail, cancelling my admission offer based on non payment of advance money. When I had received the offer letter, there was no mention of any fees payment. Does anybody have idea whether the postgraduate admission offer gets cancelled for a home student because of non payment. University have never sent me any mail or letter asking for any advance payment.

Thanks.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some universities or courses ask for a deposit when you apply. Which university/course did you apply to? Is it possible that their letter or email has been missed or lost? Certainly non-payment of a deposit would result in the withdrawal of an offer - this would apply to all students, be they home or overseas.

However, you should bear in mind that you had a conditional offer. By not meeting the condition, this would mean that you may not have had a place now anyway (if you were given a deadline which was prior to the current date).
Nottingham2010
Thanks. I never received any letter from the univ. (of Nottingham), nor any mail mentioning the advance payment. Even they did not write the IELTS requirement to be met within 3 months. Even the website does not mention about any advance payment for the seat.
sj27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nottingham2010)
Thanks. I never received any letter from the univ. (of Nottingham), nor any mail mentioning the advance payment. Even they did not write the IELTS requirement to be met within 3 months. Even the website does not mention about any advance payment for the seat.
What course are you doing? This page http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/fabs/fin...ns/casfaq.aspx says you have to pay a deposit if you are an international student, or if you are doing a business school masters. If you are not with the business school, then it's possible someone misclassified you as an international student, and you should contact them. If you're with the business school then you may be out of luck, though I would contact them anyway and say that a date was not specified in your offer letter.
Nottingham2010
I am going to join Biological science. I am not an international student, neither joining Management course. Thanks. I had seen this website earlier but it never seemed related to me. Hence I was not able to think that my offer would stand cancelled. I will contact them on Monday. I have already declined two other postgraduate offers (in London) because of this admission offer, hence I am quite worried. Please suggest what should I do.
sj27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am going to join Biological science. I am not an international student, neither joining Management course. Thanks. I had seen this website earlier but it never seemed related to me. Hence I was not able to think that my offer would stand cancelled. I will contact them on Monday. I have already declined two other postgraduate offers (in London) because of this admission offer, hence I am quite worried. Please suggest what should I do.
The only thing you can do at this point is contact them about it. Do you have some kind of confirmation that they classified you as a home student?
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think contacting the uni direct is the only way to find out what has happened and to resolve the problem.

Be prepared to give them a date for the completion of the IELTS qualification though. If it's a condition of your offer, you won't be able to take up your place until you satisfy it. Without it, the offer could be withdrawn, even if you sort out the deposit problem.
Nottingham2010
Yes, I am a home student (Have offer letter with home classification).
Nottingham2010
Thank you very much for your help. I would be able to talk to them on Monday. Just for my curiosity, do any of you have the experience of admission offer (for a home student) getting cancelled because of any reason (other than the conditions applied) if more than sufficient international students have applied for the course.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The way I see it, you currently have two problems:

1) The non-payment of a deposit, which appears to have been incorrectly applied to your application. Hopefully you can resolve this with the uni on Monday.
2) A conditional offer for which you have not yet met the condition, a matter of weeks before you're due to enrol.

I'd concentrate on sorting those issues out, before seeking ulterior motives for the withdrawal of your offer. At present, the answer seems potentially more obvious than underhand manoeuvering by the uni to fill the course with higher-paying candidates.
Nottingham2010
Thanks a lot. I will talk on Monday.
Nottingham2010
My admission has been sorted. Even after being a home student, I had to pay a deposit - money and I have fulfilled all the conditions (it has become unconditional). Now I have applied for a deptt. scholarship, but I did not get any confirmation and instead got a mail whether I am interested in the course or not and I can withdraw my application. Whether a home fees payer can apply a scholarship?
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My admission has been sorted. Even after being a home student, I had to pay a deposit - money and I have fulfilled all the conditions (it has become unconditional). Now I have applied for a deptt. scholarship, but I did not get any confirmation and instead got a mail whether I am interested in the course or not and I can withdraw my application. Whether a home fees payer can apply a scholarship?
The scholarship will be individual to the university and possibly the course. You need to check the terms and conditions of the scholarship to see whether you still qualify - they're usually posted somewhere on the university's website.

Even if you're still eligible for it, if it's competitive or allocated on a first come first served basis, then with most scholarships, you'll be way too late to apply.
Nottingham2010
(Original post by Klix88)
The scholarship will be individual to the university and possibly the course. You need to check the terms and conditions of the scholarship to see whether you still qualify - they're usually posted somewhere on the university's website.

Even if you're still eligible for it, if it's competitive or allocated on a first come first served basis, then with most scholarships, you'll be way too late to apply.
The deptt. had sent me the scholarship application form in July and they have mentioned that I am eligible and can apply the scholarship until 1st week of September. However when I sent my filled application form, the deptt. replied me as mentioned previously. The problem is, I do not want to create any fuss and unnecessary talk to univ. - admission office (univ. had agreed that a home fees payer need not deposit money but on the insistence of the deptt. I was forced to pay the deposit).
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The deptt. had sent me the scholarship application form in July and they have mentioned that I am eligible and can apply the scholarship until 1st week of September. However when I sent my filled application form, the deptt. replied me as mentioned previously. The problem is, I do not want to create any fuss and unnecessary talk to univ. - admission office (univ. had agreed that a home fees payer need not deposit money but on the insistence of the deptt. I was forced to pay the deposit).
Nobody here can tell you what's going on. You do need to contact the uni direct and ask them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1608)
79.13%
Leave (424)
20.87%

Watched Threads