The Student Room Group

Sciences Po - Anyone studying there? or Applying 2014/15

Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me!
I'm so glad I found someone else applying to Science Po in 2014!
I chose the Master in International Economic Policy with a regional concentration on African Studies. French is my first language so that helps a bit. I am also looking at IHEID Geneva and LSE. Those are my top 3. I want eventually to work in international development for a big organization.

I'm not sure sure about my chances though as I have no IR relevant work expericence. I graduated in 2007 from UCLA with a BA in Political Science and a minor in African Studies. Thankfully I had a good GPA 3.79

I went on to work into another field so this would be somewhat of a career change for me.

What about you? Are you just applying to Science Po?
I was accepted to Sciences Po a couple of years ago but in the end decided not to attend due to an employment opportunity. Let me know if you have any questions about the process!
Reply 3
Original post by beefmaster
I was accepted to Sciences Po a couple of years ago but in the end decided not to attend due to an employment opportunity. Let me know if you have any questions about the process!

Thank you for offering your help!
I have a few questions actually. First do they put more emphasis on your academic record? GPA, major and school you came from or work experience?
Is it recommended to contact the advisor of the MA you are interested in?
What did you emphasize in your statement of purpose?

Thank you!

To add to alchyna, why did you reject your place at sciences po? What are you doing now career wise? What degree were you accepted for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alchyna
Thank you for offering your help!
I have a few questions actually. First do they put more emphasis on your academic record? GPA, major and school you came from or work experience?
Is it recommended to contact the advisor of the MA you are interested in?
What did you emphasize in your statement of purpose?

Thank you!

I had 1 year relevant work experience prior to applying and I imagine that helped.

I wouldn't bother contacting the MA supervisor.

In my statement of purpose I spoke about how my work experience and language skills were relevant to the courses I wanted to take.

Original post by iamsuperwoman
To add to alchyna, why did you reject your place at sciences po? What are you doing now career wise? What degree were you accepted for?

I was accepted for International Security. The employment offer was too perfect to refuse. Since rejecting the offer I have been working through the Middle East and North Africa on emergency relief projects for an international NGO.

I hope all this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I had 1 year relevant work experience prior to applying and I imagine that helped.

I wouldn't bother contacting the MA supervisor.

In my statement of purpose I spoke about how my work experience and language skills were relevant to the courses I wanted to take.

Thank you beefmaster! I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before applying.
Reply 7
I am hesitating between the International Development and the International Economic Policy programs. From reading up the ID program is oriented towards applicants with a background in development already so I'm afraid I wouldn't be an attractive candidate coming from the tech world.

I am also reading up on regional/thematic concentrations. I like the variety of their program but I wonder if all these classes are available in one given semester.
So far I'm thinking of a regional concentration on Africa and a thematic on something practical like Project Management.

What about you Iamsuperwoman? Any clear ideas yet on which way to go?
Reply 8
Hey all, I'm currently studying at PSIA.

With a 3.79 GPA from UCLA you will be considered and have a good chance of getting in if you don't mess up your application.

They don't really focus about work experience since French students go for the MA right after getting their BA :wink:

PS : why do you guys want to study at Sciences Po btw ? What made you select it ?
Reply 9
Original post by VdV
Hey all, I'm currently studying at PSIA.

With a 3.79 GPA from UCLA you will be considered and have a good chance of getting in if you don't mess up your application.

They don't really focus about work experience since French students go for the MA right after getting their BA :wink:

PS : why do you guys want to study at Sciences Po btw ? What made you select it ?

Hi VdV thank you for your input! I don't plan on messing up my application but I'm a little bit reassured.

I'm considering Sciences Po along with LSE and IHEID in Geneva. Those are my top 3 (I am leaning towards Geneva as my favorite).
I chose Sciences Po after looking more closely at the program I like the whole thematic/regional concentration concept so I can focus and personnalize my studies on what actually interests me, It looks like they teach real skills that will be useful in the real world.

The other reason is because French is my native language and I have plenty of family and friends in Paris so that would work out better for me than say London/Geneva where I know no one.

EDIT: I forgot to ask about the double degree with LSE I've been reading up on it and it looks quite interesting as well since I am interested in IR and Political Economy as well. Do you know what background is required for those. I assume it is more competitive?
(edited 10 years ago)

Could you please briefly explain the application process? And also, what kind of qualities they look for in a student applying to Science Po?
Reply 11

I have questions!

So it's a terrible cliche but I visited while I was on holiday and pretty much fell in love with the idea of doing my Masters at SciencesPo.

Now here's where it gets tricky. I stand to get a high 2:1 from an average UK university in Law. My first and second year grades aren't great, but I stand to do quite well in my third year (and my uni awards Honours based on final year only)

I've heard that SciencesPo is ridiculously tough to get in, and i've seen some really qualified people on TSR not get in, which is terrifying. I have also heard that diverse backgrounds are a good thing, there, which may be in my favour as I'm from a tiny southeast asian country, and speak the local language as well as fluent english.

No work experience yet, I went straight from high school into my LLB.

Be honest (and brutal if needed) What are my realistic chances of getting in? I know its a tough question to answer, but you obviously have some experience with the admissions process.

Anyone else who could help, please do give your opinion.
Reply 12
Hey!

I am so glad, I found this thread. I am applying to Sciences Po, LSE, IHEID & SOAS as well for Masters in International Development for the 2014 intake. I completed my graduation in History this June.

I am stuck on my statemnet of purpose and its taking the life out of me. Plus, I do have some professional experience with 3 internships though not directly related to the field of development. though, along the lines of women empowerment, child rights, human rights and stuff.

Can anyone pls tell me as to what should i be emphasizing in my sop? As of now, I have made some 36 drafts and still cant seem to reach perfectness. :frown:
Reply 13
Hey guys.

I submitted my application for IHEID (Development Studies) yesterday for the early round. I am still thinking whether I should apply for SciencePo or not given their outragously expensive application fee.

I have obtained a BA in English Studies (2.1) in Hong Kong and am completing a Master in South American Studies (Distinction) in Argentina. I have 3 years of experience in development work in South America and speak some South American and Asian languages fluently.

I have checked out the background of the students in those schools. They all have impressive credentials and extra-curricular activities. So I really do not know if my qualifications are enough to get admitted.

More information regarding their admission criteria (not the official ones but the backgrounds of the students) will be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, all the best to all applicants and I sincerely hope that we will be classmates in the coming academic year.
Reply 14
Original post by mickunsum
Hey guys.

I submitted my application for IHEID (Development Studies) yesterday for the early round. I am still thinking whether I should apply for SciencePo or not given their outragously expensive application fee.

I have obtained a BA in English Studies (2.1) in Hong Kong and am completing a Master in South American Studies (Distinction) in Argentina. I have 3 years of experience in development work in South America and speak some South American and Asian languages fluently.

I have checked out the background of the students in those schools. They all have impressive credentials and extra-curricular activities. So I really do not know if my qualifications are enough to get admitted.

More information regarding their admission criteria (not the official ones but the backgrounds of the students) will be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, all the best to all applicants and I sincerely hope that we will be classmates in the coming academic year.

hey! Your profile sounds really good and as for Sciences Po, I got hold of their representative from my country and she told me the criteria. Apart from awesome grades, they look at experiences and internships, if that is not present then they go on to LORs. As for the language thing, she mentioned that French is preferable but not necessary and that's not like the priority criteria for selecting students. That is great for me cuz I did the language in class VIth.

I hoped this helped!
hi im an international student , could you help me and tell me sth about admission procedure, do u know maybe how many points do i need to get into ? i am IB student and im aondering if someone could help me , i would like to apply next year to reims and nancy ???
Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could offer some insight on how important previous work experience is when applying to the IPSA degrees. I am considering two: International Security and Human Rights.

Basically, my gpa is quite good, I will most likely be graduating with 1st Honours or a high 2.1 from Glasgow University. Dunno how much that is in American style GPA.. maybe around 3.80? I have taken multiple courses in both International Security and Human rights, and I have a basic knowledge of Russian and French. I have been quite involved with numerous societies, campaigns, activities on campus that have to do with IR and mostly human rights, I attended a Universitas 21 summer school on Human Rights last summer, and I volunteered in a presidential election campaign in my home country (we lost :wink:)

However, I don't really have any professional experience in the field. Would that diminish my chances a lot? I noticed for the International Security course that the degree is aimed at people who already have the professional/work experience.. Hence why I think my chances might be higher for the Human Rights programme. I would love to do either one of those degrees.. What do you guys think? Thank you in advance!

P.S.: This is a bit random, but how long does the personal statement need to be? I wanted to draft it before I start the application, but after searching the entire website, I still couldn't find anything being mentioned..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by ashtraygirl

However, I don't really have any professional experience in the field. Would that diminish my chances a lot? I noticed for the International Security course that the degree is aimed at people who already have the professional/work experience.. Hence why I think my chances might be higher for the Human Rights programme. I would love to do either one of those degrees.. What do you guys think? Thank you in advance!

P.S.: This is a bit random, but how long does the personal statement need to be? I wanted to draft it before I start the application, but after searching the entire website, I still couldn't find anything being mentioned..

hi Ashtraygirl,

you have enough of experience to apply. For college graduates they don't look for professional experience as such but your academics, statement of purpose and your extra curricular. I mean this is the basis on which I sent my application and was told the same by their representative.

As for the word limit, it's 1000 words, which is mentioned on their application form!
Thank you so much! You've given me some hope in my moment of.. well freaking out pretty much :biggrin: Best of luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 19
No problem ashtray girl. I am glad I could help out. Thanks and good luck to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending