Turn on thread page Beta

Starting a relationship before uni watch

Announcements

Do you think relationships before uni are worth it? Say you got into a relationship with some in the summer before uni, would you or wouldn't you agree to go out if you were moving to uni 50+ miles away?

ReputationRep:
    I've found virtually all relationships people at uni had before they got here ended within a year (I'm not saying that's true in all cases, but the vast majority), so personally I wouldn't bother. A summer fling is just as fun though.

ReputationRep:
    Unless, in the words of Mark Corrigan, she is 'the one', then it really is a pointless venture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    I personally wouldn't, what if you found someone great at Uni? I'm not saying it wouldn't work or it's not worth it, I just personally wouldn't.
    I agree with this and think about travel costs if you did get into a relationship and tried to manage it through uni... Will you have the money and time to really make it work? Or would you rather not have the added stress or pressure .... Not being rude or anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It really depends if you were friends first and how long you've known each other. I most likely wouldn't start a relationship if I knew that I only had 2 months, because I think a solid foundation should be made before making a relationship long distance. That being said, if you have been good friends and have decided to progress your friendship to something more romantic, then I do think it could work. Check bus and train costs, because if you do get suckered into the LDR thing, it'll be nice to have stuff booked well in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I dated before uni and still going. It can work. It worked for me. Neither of us have cheated. We visited eachother once/ two weeks. Yeah, it can work. Communication is key. Not saying it will work for everyone though.

ReputationRep:
    i got with someone during the summer before uni, he stayed at home, but i moved to a uni 120 miles away. we were never that serious and it was definitely a mistake staying together, he came to visit me about 3 weeks into the 1st semester and i broke things off. a few weeks later i got with a friend i'd met during freshers and we've now been together almost 9 months
    if you aren't in a serious relationship i would definitely recommend ending things before you move away, the first few weeks at uni are such a whirlwind, you meet so many people, so there's no point being tied to someone you aren't super-serious and in-love with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2013
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.