Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is this course any good for engineering? It is one night a week for 18 weeks.

Level 2- Edexcel BTEC Part Progamming Computer Numberical Control Machines.

This is what it says on the website
    This unit aims to give learners the skills required to plan, part program and use computer numerical control (CNC) machines for product manufacture. This unit will provide learners with a firm introduction to CNC part programming. It will enable them to plan for the manufacture, using a CNC machine, of a product from its design specification. This will include the selection of an appropriate CNC machine tool, the materials and cutting tools required together with relevant cutting speeds and feeds. Learners will write part programs for safe use on a CNC machine. They will also learn how to load, store, retrieve, transfer and run part programs on CNC machines, complying with all relevant health and safety precautions. Finally, learners will gain experience of proof reading CNC programs and checking products for conformity including verification and dry running before final execution of the program.
    1 Be able to write a plan for a CNC machine from a product specification
    2 Be able to write a part program for safe use on a CNC machine
    3 Be able to run part programs on a CNC machine, complying with all relevant
    health and safety precautions
    4 Be able to carry out a proof reading procedure for a CNC program and check
    conformity to specification.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you will learn a very specific skill which may not be of interested to everyone. Unless you need this specific skill to satisfy an employer, you would probably be better of doing a Level 3 qualification (higher level) and a somewhat broader qualification. Something like a BTEC National. Then you can take a CNC programming unit as part of this qualification but you will also learn a lot of other important things. The BTEC National in Engineering is actually part of the apprenticeship framework (so you could do it as part of an apprenticeship in engineering) and it also qualifies you to go to university, should you want to do that later (in that case it would be wise to take A-Level Maths alongside).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Yes, but you will learn a very specific skill which may not be of interested to everyone. Unless you need this specific skill to satisfy an employer, you would probably be better of doing a Level 3 qualification (higher level) and a somewhat broader qualification. Something like a BTEC National. Then you can take a CNC programming unit as part of this qualification but you will also learn a lot of other important things. The BTEC National in Engineering is actually part of the apprenticeship framework (so you could do it as part of an apprenticeship in engineering) and it also qualifies you to go to university, should you want to do that later (in that case it would be wise to take A-Level Maths alongside).
    Yah i see, Their is a level 3 course but it is part day and i will be a full time student in sixth form when it starts. I am doing maths and FM. Was just looking for engineering things to write about in my personal statement

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see. I'm not sure how unis would see that - anything that shows initiative is good, but there wouldn't be too many higher skills involved to put on show. I assume you do Maths, Further Maths + Physics? Perfect combination. Does your 6th form offer Electronics? That might be a fun AS and something you could tinker about with in your spare time and write about. You could also just get an arduino and develop your own projects at home as a hobby; a lot of fun and I think that would look quite impressive in a personal statement - it would show motivation, design, programming and electronic skills all in one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Oh I see. I'm not sure how unis would see that - anything that shows initiative is good, but there wouldn't be too many higher skills involved to put on show. I assume you do Maths, Further Maths + Physics? Perfect combination. Does your 6th form offer Electronics? That might be a fun AS and something you could tinker about with in your spare time and write about. You could also just get an arduino and develop your own projects at home as a hobby; a lot of fun and I think that would look quite impressive in a personal statement - it would show motivation, design, programming and electronic skills all in one.
    My school is not running Maths because only a few people opted for it and they have not taught Physics in 4 years. I will have to be self teaching . I did GCSE Electronics and still have all my notes and Controlled Assessment project. I am planning on doing an OU BEng Degree or Try and apply for Civil Engineering depending on results but if not i will for definite be doing an Open University Degree

ReputationRep:
    Oh hey, if you like Civil Engineering, you should definitely get this app.

For OU you don't need a personal statement or anything, but it is good - you could work or do an apprenticeship alongside studying for your degree, so you will end up with a degree but also work experience. some engineering companies might even sponsor you.

Out of curiosity, what is your subject combination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Oh hey, if you like Civil Engineering, you should definitely get this app.

For OU you don't need a personal statement or anything, but it is good - you could work or do an apprenticeship alongside studying for your degree, so you will end up with a degree but also work experience. some engineering companies might even sponsor you.

Out of curiosity, what is your subject combination?
    I will have a lot of exams

Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, General Studies (Compulsory)
    Then at home Maths and Further Maths. Physics to AS is on the cards but don't know at the moment

ReputationRep:
    For civil engineering, some unis would accept you without Physics, especially if you explain your circumstances and do all the Mechanics modules in Maths. But not normally for other types of Engineering.

Tbh, I wouldn't worry much about your personal statement - if you teach yourself Maths and Further Maths and manage to get good grades, that will look really impressive in a personal statement already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    For civil engineering, some unis would accept you without Physics, especially if you explain your circumstances and do all the Mechanics modules in Maths. But not normally for other types of Engineering.

Tbh, I wouldn't worry much about your personal statement - if you teach yourself Maths and Further Maths and manage to get good grades, that will look really impressive in a personal statement already.
    Yah, I am considering international if i have to maybe US or Europe.

Hahaha yah I just hope i get the good grades

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.