The Student Room Group

Open University credit coversion for Diagnostic Radiography degree

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me please. I've been studying with the OU for a few years now and have 50 credits at level one and 30 at level two. Starting in October I will be studying another 60 points at level 2, all in the scientific/biology field. My ambition is to study Diagnostic Radiography at Salford Uni in Sept 2014. Today I emailed the radiography dept at the uni and have been informed this will not be enough and that on top of this, I need to study both Physics and Biology at level 3.... this seems a little excessive, level 3 with the OU is meant to be equivalent to the 3rd year of a degree! :confused: Has the tutor I spoke to confused my OU levels with further education levels.... are they different? Can anyone offer any advice?
I think the tutor is confused and does not understand the difference between OU credits and access credits. Access level 2 credits are only worth GCSE's and certainly would not be enough, so you would require 45 credits at level 3, which are equivalent to A'Levels. I have done some OU, and whilst I don't think that their L1 courses are equivalent to first year undergrad, they are certainly equivalent to L3 access or A'Level.

I think you need to speak to someone rather than emailing, both at the OU and in the radiography department. Most universities use level 3 to refer to A'level and level 4 to refer to uni level. So in that nomenclature you have credits towards a level 4 qualification.
Reply 2
Thank you. That's really helpful. I'll contact Salford again on Monday and try to explain the OU system, it just worries me that the person in charge of admissions onto the radiography degree has no working knowledge of the OU. I feel it may mean I'm overlooked next year when competing against those with the conventional A/AS levels :no:.
Reply 3
Hi, I have a BSc (Hons) Chemistry from the University of Manchester in 2000. I was told before I applied for Sept 12 intake at Salford that this would be enough & I didn't get in, which was put down to me not completing the clinical day before I applied. So I completed my clinical day & was just going to reapply, but my wife seemed interested in looking around, so we went to an open day in Nov 12. I met the new admissions tutor who told me I needed recent study, I said i'd found a Masters level Imaging In Medicine course with the OU & she seemed interested & asked me to forward her the details. I emailed the details over, but it doesn't finish until Oct 13 & results aren't out until Dec 13, so that couldn't be used as recent study. Though she said if I didn't get on for Sep 13 to do it next year, as it would help & to do something else this year. I suggested an online Anatomy & Physiology course & she said that was fine. But I have also done the OU Masters course in Medical Imaging, as I would have had the same problem next year. My wife & I both regard me getting into Salford in Sep 13, as partly down to me doing the OU course, although they could only put my conditional offer on the A&P course, which to be honest was rather simple. The admissions tutor & her team will be really busy at the moment, but i'm sure they'll get back to you. And to be an admissions tutor, she would have to have a working knowledge of all qualifications. The major part in your application is your personal statement & clinical day, get your clinical day booked in asap (details on the UOS website), as mine took a while to arrange. You can only apply to one, I know Stepping Hill weren't taking anybody on for them due to the security issues in the news last year & the lady who interviewed me at Salford, said Macclesfield weren't doing them, but that was back in March.
Reply 4
Thank you. The tutor at Salford did get back to me, he was really helpful, I explained the OU modules I have done in more detail and he suggested that if I focused on a physics module this year then I will be considered for entry in 2014, I plan to contact the radiography departments in early sept in order to arrange a clinical placement. So do you have a confirmed place at Salford this year Sparky79? I only ask because It would be nice to know someone who's been through the process if I need any further advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending