The Student Room Group

Is a Sociology degree worth having or an English degree better? I'm in two minds and

Reply 1

if you get chance to do research methods and stats modules on a social science degree that should be quite marketable for management type jobs.
English doesn't get you above generic transferable skills unless you want to teach or go into academia.

Just my 2p worth.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
if you get chance to do research methods and stats modules on a social science degree that should be quite marketable for management type jobs.
English doesn't get you above generic transferable skills unless you want to teach or go into academia.

Just my 2p worth.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
An english degree is worth alot more than a sociology degree, the amount of jobs that are out there for people with an english degree is crazy, some of them you wouldn't even have thought about
Reply 4
Which jobs do you think I could get?
Reply 5
This website has the top 35 and explanations about them :smile:

http://www.selloutyoursoul.com/2011/12/19/jobs-for-english-majors/
Reply 6
Surely you can do all these jobs as a Sociology graduate as well? So long as you can write well, which I'm guessing the OP can?
Reply 7
Possibly yea but you are more likely to get those jobs with an english degree because its better evidence that you are suited to the jobs
Reply 8
You are going to be up against a lot of other graduates with similar academic qualifications either way.
It's far more important to use your time at uni to get work experience, volunteering etc in to help you stand out rather than just getting a degree and then wondering about applying for jobs at the end of your last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending