The Student Room Group

Student nurses

Is it true that student nurses are often bullied on placement by registered nurses? Have any student nurses/qualified nurses experienced violence from patients? Is it true nursing is an over-demanding profession and that most people hate it or regret it? Is it difficult to get onto a nursing course without previous clinical experience? Do nursing degrees have mainly females on the course? Are there mainly mature students or school leavers on nursing program's? Can student nurses tell me their experiences on placement? What is the easiest branch of nursing and the most challenging?
And if there are any other important information that I should know about feel free to let me know!
Reply 1
I've never been bullied or witnessed any bullying. I do know of one person who had a personality clash with her mentor but the university were really supportive and moved her to a different placement.

I think at some point you'll experience aggression, usually from confused dementia patients who can't communicate so they lash out. It's not their fault though.

Nursing is demanding, and some people regret choosing the course but more people absolutely love it and can't imagine themselves doing anything else. That's the same with most professions though.

It's about 50/50 with mature students and school-leavers but most people get on with each other. It's not a big deal. There are also a lot of men on the course too though there are more females.

As for branches, it depends. I do mental health and absolutely love it and found my adult placement difficult whereas others are terrified of mental health. It genuinely depends on the individual, their preferences and the placements people are given.

Hope this helps a little.
Reply 2
Is it true that student nurses are often bullied on placement by registered nurses?

I've never seen or heard of bullying, but sometimes people don't get along and there's a personality clash.

Have any student nurses/qualified nurses experienced violence from patients?

You'll be working with people who may be confused/agitated/in pain/frightened/drunk/drugged/just plain obnoxious, they may lash out or be aggressive. In some areas you'll deal with the public and they can be unpredictable at times.

Is it true nursing is an over-demanding profession and that most people hate it or regret it?

It can be, but if it were such a horrible profession why would so many want to do it or continue to do it. I love my job and don't regret going into nursing at all.

Is it difficult to get onto a nursing course without previous clinical experience?

I didn't have any experience when I started, but if you want to give yourself the best chance of getting on a course it helps to have some sort of experience. There's loads of threads on here about that.

Do nursing degrees have mainly females on the course?

Around 10% of the nursing register is male, so it's female dominated, but there's lads about depending on the group you're in and branch of nursing you're doing.

Are there mainly mature students or school leavers on nursing program's?

People of all ages study nursing. From school leavers to mature students in their 50's

What is the easiest branch of nursing and the most challenging?

There's no such thing. Each branch will have parts of it that makes it difficult and challenging or "easy".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending