Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I am a European student and I started working on my PS.I've read the forum's instructions...I took notes,organized what I should and shouldn't write and generally,I am trying to work on my PS,so I can finally make the best of it.I wrote ideas,made a starting plan etc.

While reading at FAQ's,the last thing that it says is that if you can,you should mention what makes you different from the others,and why you are suitable for the course.Well,I can mention something,but I don't know how it will affect my PS.

Well,I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.Its a disorder on the autism spectrum,which means that I have the same IQ as normal people,but I tend to have some special curses along with some "talents" as well.

People with Asperger's usually get hooked to something so hard,it finally turns to be an obsession.My obsession the last 3 years (it always was,from little child,but those 3 years that I can access information easily etc,it has blown up :P ) my whole life is Science.Especially Physics and Astrophysics.

By telling this,I mean that literaly,I am a science freak,like Sheldon from the: big bang theory series.A typical day consists of reading articles about science,publishing them (at facebook,yeah everyone hates me there ),searching about theories,and especially watching documentaries.

It is natural to think that I'm exagerating,but actually science is a life goal for me.Many times I get so interested and my entusiasm is so big that I think all I wanna do is occupy with science.The music that I listen many times is also scientific
    (check: Sympony of Science at youtube,I love it)

So the question is this:What makes me special,and weird,but totally suitable for Science should be mentioned in the personal statement?I can write many things,but I believe that nothing will give the real picture of me.And finally,should I present my real self,or keep it simpler and not mention the weird stuff?I don't know what to do.They might not want someone with social difficulties and generally special people of this kind.

What do you think?I think they might think I am exagerating,and not take me seriously.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dr.Quantum)
    Hello.

I am a European student and I started working on my PS.I've read the forum's instructions...I took notes,organized what I should and shouldn't write and generally,I am trying to work on my PS,so I can finally make the best of it.I wrote ideas,made a starting plan etc.

While reading at FAQ's,the last thing that it says is that if you can,you should mention what makes you different from the others,and why you are suitable for the course.Well,I can mention something,but I don't know how it will affect my PS.

Well,I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.Its a disorder on the autism spectrum,which means that I have the same IQ as normal people,but I tend to have some special curses along with some "talents" as well.

People with Asperger's usually get hooked to something so hard,it finally turns to be an obsession.My obsession the last 3 years (it always was,from little child,but those 3 years that I can access information easily etc,it has blown up :P ) my whole life is Science.Especially Physics and Astrophysics.

By telling this,I mean that literaly,I am a science freak,like Sheldon from the: big bang theory series.A typical day consists of reading articles about science,publishing them (at facebook,yeah everyone hates me there ),searching about theories,and especially watching documentaries.

It is natural to think that I'm exagerating,but actually science is a life goal for me.Many times I get so interested and my entusiasm is so big that I think all I wanna do is occupy with science.The music that I listen many times is also scientific
    (check: Sympony of Science at youtube,I love it)

So the question is this:What makes me special,and weird,but totally suitable for Science should be mentioned in the personal statement?I can write many things,but I believe that nothing will give the real picture of me.And finally,should I present my real self,or keep it simpler and not mention the weird stuff?I don't know what to do.They might not want someone with social difficulties and generally special people of this kind.

What do you think?I think they might think I am exagerating,and not take me seriously.

They don't want a gimmick. You don't need to tell them how you are unique, you need to show them. Talk about your specific interests in your subject and why you love it. They will see your passion in your enthusiasm for science, not in what you say about yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't put it in there. Just show how enthusiastic you are about science, mentioning all the things you have here (apart from the aspergers) such as all you do is read about science and watch many documentaries etc. I would put on you application if you haven't already a tick next to the box about disabilities as it includes things like aspergers (even if you don't consider it a disability). I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and have checked that box. The uni will need to know, but just not on the personal statement as they should not discriminate (in a negative or positive way) in a way that will influence their decision.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the process of writing the PS and I'm doing exactly what you said

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 26, 2013

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.