Turn on thread page Beta

un-paying "guest" in my hall, should I report? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am currently studying a Master degree and staying at Liberty's hall.
    Living with 5 others , those flatmates are fine
    But one of them bring in his girlfriend, it's not a matter as long as it's not harassing me.
    However, she's quite noisy and talks quite loud...no matter the time and never be considerate...sometimes the couple occupy the kitchen for HOT-POT, which causing us inconvenience when preparing dinner.

She stayed there for months during revision period since April until June
    But then for the current dissertation period she returned and keep making noises.
    I am a person who need a quiet place, and that un-paying guest just keep disturbing me.
    In addition, I checked with the Liberty's rule, it has stated that guest is not allowed to stay for more than 2 nights. Should I report to the reception or tell that flatmate to shut the girl's mouth?As that girl behaves in such a manner which I cannot be able to deal with easily.

ReputationRep:
    I'd report it. She's not meant to be there and the fact that she is is causing a problem for you (and presumably the other four flatmates).

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse you should report it.She has no righ to behave like this in your payed accommodation as if she owned that house...

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should go talk to the guy first explain that she's being noisy and could she quiet down. If nothing changes report her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    Perhaps you should go talk to the guy first explain that she's being noisy and could she quiet down. If nothing changes report her.
    It depends on whether OP knows how the flatmate will react. If they just laugh in their face and refuse to change then the office suddenly finding out about the un-paying guest may seem a little suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    I recommend this as well, but it will depend on the hallmate in question, if they are particularly childish or not willing to discuss on anything it might be just better to report them, especially if it has been going on for so long.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him first and explain how if she doesn't quiet down you will report her as she is actually affecting you. If he has any sense he'll talk with her, and if either of them have any level of respect for other people they'll quiet down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pico1220)
    Hi

But one of them bring in his girlfriend, it's not a matter as long as it's not harassing me.
    However, she's quite noisy and talks quite loud...no matter the time and never be considerate...sometimes the couple occupy the kitchen for HOT-POT, which causing us inconvenience when preparing dinner.

But then for the current dissertation period she returned and keep making noises.
    I am a person who need a quiet place, and that un-paying guest just keep disturbing me.
    In addition, I checked with the Liberty's rule, it has stated that guest is not allowed to stay for more than 2 nights. Should I report to the reception or tell that flatmate to shut the girl's mouth?As that girl behaves in such a manner which I cannot be able to deal with easily.
    My fresher year I did something similar minus the noise, basically living with my then gf for a lot of the year (wasted a lot of money given I was living in a more expensive hall 5 mintues away). You should seriously ask her or her bf to keep it down first, say you dont mind her being here but they need to be quieter. Reporting it is likely to cause a nasty confrontation.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of hot-pot are we talking here? the chinese sort?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Which Liberty halls are you in, is this at Preston? I am asking because I am thinking of living at Liberty Court

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by locrian37)
    what kind of hot-pot are we talking here? the chinese sort?
    There's such a thing as Chinese hot pot?? I thought it was a Lancashire thing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

It's a crap situation i agree. The boyfriend obviously knows she is loud and seems ok with it and they also make the kitchen area miserable for everyone else, she obviously sees the flat as a place she can chill without a care in the world. It's always hard to confront intimidating loud mouths but it's your education at stake here and " I didn't do so well in my Masters because some girl in my flat was loud" won't be good enough for an employer. Seeing as though you aren't confronting some loud kids on the street or some other scumbag the chances are you won't get beat up for asking her to be quiet, if not report it...what do the others in the flat think?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you know the guy well (which seems unlikely since it's been going o a while and you haven't mentioned it to him already) then i wouldn't tell him you are doing doing it and just report her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    There's such a thing as Chinese hot pot?? I thought it was a Lancashire thing.
    Yep, basically a pot that you boil bits of food in.

ReputationRep:
    Ask her to be quieter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammylow)
    Which Liberty halls are you in, is this at Preston? I am asking because I am thinking of living at Liberty Court
    I am a Cardiff uni student
    There are two Liberty halls near Cardiff Business School and close to each other...but bunches of Chinese in my hall though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creat0r)
    It's a crap situation i agree. The boyfriend obviously knows she is loud and seems ok with it and they also make the kitchen area miserable for everyone else, she obviously sees the flat as a place she can chill without a care in the world. It's always hard to confront intimidating loud mouths but it's your education at stake here and " I didn't do so well in my Masters because some girl in my flat was loud" won't be good enough for an employer. Seeing as though you aren't confronting some loud kids on the street or some other scumbag the chances are you won't get beat up for asking her to be quiet, if not report it...what do the others in the flat think?
    I did talked to some of them, but they just advised me to talk with the guy.

additional info: she's from Northern China, typically ppl from there tends to talk quite loud as I have seen.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.