Turn on thread page Beta

which instrument should I take up? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm working towards my grade 6 Piano, grade 6 drum kit and I've just got a merit in my grade 5 music theory and I absolutely love the piano and drums, but I was at a proms concert last night and I realised that I would really like to be part of an orchestra and as much as I love playing the drums and piano, unless I got to be completely incredibly amazing at either (which I just won't) I wouldn't really ever get the opportunity to play with other people. So, I was considering picking up a new instrument, possibly the violin or viola? But I would be probably mainly teaching myself using my music theory knowledge plus online tutorials and maybe having the odd lesson every so often, so I would need something that would be relatively easy to teach myself- does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would pick the viola (because I play it! ), also viola players are getting really rare these days - but this also means it's easier to get into orchestras and similar ensembles.

From my experience, orchestral music for viola is quite easy compared to violins i.e. not a lot of position changes... but occasions you need to switch from alto to treble clef and back!

ReputationRep:
    Try brass! Not a trumpet, something a bit more unusual like a French horn or a euphonium, maybe? It gives you space to do orchestral stuff, but also brass bands (not the French horn though) or jazz or pretty much anything really! I mostly taught myself the euphonium having had clarinet, violin and theory lessons, and it was quite in demand, I even got to go on tour as a guest with another brass band because they needed an extra. I also joined a Bavarian-style Oompah band, odd stuff like that. Fantastic fun.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do - being in a music group is just such a great way to meet people and have fun

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.