Who was better in their prime: Vidic, Ferdinand or Campbell? Watch

Cable
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Vidic, Ferdinand (Man Utd) and Campbell (Arsenal).

Some of the top CBs of the PL era.

Who do you think was better at their peak? And what are your reasons?
M'Ling
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Vidic. He used to be (still is?!?) an absolute monster. His performance in the 2008 Champions League Final was just immense, for example - as was Ferdinand's.
poiuytrewq54321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Vidic for me. Out of the 3 I wouldn't want to play against him. I think he would just break my head if I tried to head the ball whilst he was defending.
GreenOut
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Vidic was imho the greatest CB in PL history. He had it all: pace, strength, unbelievable aerial prowess, monstrous tackling and that intimidation factor. He was the main reason why Utd only conceded 78 times from 06-07 to 08-09 - 114 games.
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
Vidic and Ferdinand were/are pretty different in their style of defending, which makes it a bit difficult to compare, I would think. :dontknow: I'd probably put Vidic over Campbell, though.
Stu Laverty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Ferdinand/Vidic partnership was absolutely brilliant in its prime, but Campbell was one of the most well rounded defenders that I can remember. I think Ferdinand and Vidic were better at specific roles, but I'd go for Campbell in terms of wanting everything from a defender (speed, power, intelligence, timing).

If we're just talking generally about defenders in the Premier League era, Tony Adams would still be ahead of all three, probably. But as far as this thread goes, I'll say Campbell ... just.
Manchester United
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Vidic.

He still is one of the best CB's in the world, but a few years ago, I'd say he was arguably the greatest CB ever (obviously it's hard to compare today with other generations).
Cable
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abiraleft)
Vidic and Ferdinand were/are pretty different in their style of defending, which makes it a bit difficult to compare, I would think. :dontknow: I'd probably put Vidic over Campbell, though.
Yes, they were different. Which is what made their partnership very good. I understand where you're coming from in that it is hard to compare different styles. But I still think it is possible to make a decision on who you would prefer as a CB based on what skills you prefer in a CB.

On the one hand, you have Vidic (a great aerial defender, very good at tackling, good at reading the game and excellent at organising the defence). On the other hand, you have Rio (excellent reader of the game, good at making interceptions, very good at tackling "cleanly" and very good on the ball).

It's a hard choice to make. But who would you prefer between them?
Cable
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stu Laverty)
The Ferdinand/Vidic partnership was absolutely brilliant in its prime, but Campbell was one of the most well rounded defenders that I can remember. I think Ferdinand and Vidic were better at specific roles, but I'd go for Campbell in terms of wanting everything from a defender (speed, power, intelligence, timing).
I agree entirely. I think Campbell was the better all round defender. He had almost everything you could want in a CB.
If we're just talking generally about defenders in the Premier League era, Tony Adams would still be ahead of all three, probably. But as far as this thread goes, I'll say Campbell ... just.
Interesting.

Just out of interest, who would you say was better: Adams or Stam?
scotttb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Vidic>Campbell>Ferdinand, although Jaap Stam was better than all three of them.
ahq
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cable)
Yes, they were different. Which is what made their partnership very good. I understand where you're coming from in that it is hard to compare different styles. But I still think it is possible to make a decision on who you would prefer as a CB based on what skills you prefer in a CB.

On the one hand, you have Vidic (a great aerial defender, very good at tackling, good at reading the game and excellent at organising the defence). On the other hand, you have Rio (excellent reader of the game, good at making interceptions, very good at tackling "cleanly" and very good on the ball).

It's a hard choice to make. But who would you prefer between them?
Ah, in that sense I'd take Ferdinand. :yep: I'm definitely more a fan of the Beckenbauer/Maldini style of intelligent/tactical defending than I am of defending that's primarily reliant on physicality - although there is of course much to appreciate in both forms, and you do need a lot of intelligence to be able to use physicality effectively.

Also, Stu's post makes me reconsider my original assessment. I was thinking of Vidic and Campbell both in terms of the narrow 'stopper' role. It might be true that Campbell was better-rounded, though... :holmes:
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I were manager and I could use any one of them in my next game, I'd take Vidic, unless he had to deal with Torres.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Campbell
poiuytrewq54321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
If I were manager and I could use any one of them in my next game, I'd take Vidic, unless he had to deal with Torres.
LOL I think he'll have no problem dealing with him now in the form Torres is. But if both were at their best I'd agree!
Cable
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abiraleft)
Ah, in that sense I'd take Ferdinand. :yep: I'm definitely more a fan of the Beckenbauer/Maldini style of intelligent/tactical defending than I am of defending that's primarily reliant on physicality - although there is of course much to appreciate in both forms, and you do need a lot of intelligence to be able to use physicality effectively.
Cool.

Btw, Beckenbauer is one of my favourite footballers of all time. Just pure excellence.

Also, Stu's post makes me reconsider my original assessment. I was thinking of Vidic and Campbell both in terms of the narrow 'stopper' role. It might be true that Campbell was better-rounded, though... :holmes:
I personally agree with Stu that Campbell was the better rounded defender. But of course, Vidic and Rio were brilliant CBs as well.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
LOL I think he'll have no problem dealing with him now in the form Torres is. But if both were at their best I'd agree!
Aye, I remember a couple of occasions when Vidic wad run ragged by him. At their best of course.
poiuytrewq54321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Aye, I remember a couple of occasions when Vidic wad run ragged by him. At their best of course.
Yeah and Vidic seemed to get sent off every time he challenged the guy (clear reds though from what I can remember).
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cable)
Rio (excellent reader of the game, good at making interceptions, very good at tackling "cleanly" and very good on the ball).
For me, this is why I'd pick Ferdinand. All 3 were/are obviously very good, but for me it's the ability to read the game and get into the right place to cut things off with the minimum of fuss that I admire the most. All had pace and tackling to cover when they/their defensive partners cocked up, but it's fact that those occurrences are limited when you can anticipate the play that tips my hand.
Cazek :)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ferdinand was an absolute beast this season! For the amount of years that he's been going to still be at the top!
Cazek :)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also. didn't Rio go like two years without conceding a foul or something?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (904)
79.93%
Leave (227)
20.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed